Club Focus Fremantle 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

KPF we are heavily relying on Treacy/amiss

Lockdown small, walker is the one for our future, showerd plenty of promise so far

3 ready kpd and then 2 developing in Davies and Draper, we also have Ryan/Hughes and even young can play taller

Mids I agree, plenty on the list just need development

We are heavily reliant on Amiss i totally agree. I'm not sure how much faith the clubs has in JT, the signs aren't looking super for him at the moment.
Amiss IMO must play every game he is fit for from here on in.

I too like Walker but we seen some pretty glaring issues with him in the SF and i reckon they got magnified even more in the pre-season game v PA where he done the same stupid s**t. He shuts down very well but his brain fades are terrifying.

I don't know much on Davies or Draper outside of their draft profiles so hard to comment. Draper sounds like hes either an A grader or a F grader with limited in between, will be interesting to see which end of that spectrum he ends up at.

Needs IMO:

KPF - i'm not all together sure this is as desperate a need as many think assuming Amiss continues to track nicely. He just looks a bonafide star IMO so as long as we can compliment him we are on the right path.
Small defender - we need our 2020s Roger Hayden. It will become more evident after Rankine absolutely tears our small defenders a new a-hole this weekend.
KPD Depth - we have literally three key defenders on our list by my count. In pretty desperate need of a mature ager to act as coverage.
Midfielders - we have what we need on our list IMO with Erasmus, O'Driscoll and MJ coming through. Assuming they live up to their potential we are totally fine in this space but if they don't we desperately will need some cover.
I think Hamling is as good as KPD depth as you need. You can even shuffle deckchairs if you need and play Ryan on the slowest KPF, he was AA in that role afterall. Davies and Draper to continue to develop at their own pace for a few years otherwise. I really dont want any capital spent on the backline as it stands

Agree some combination of Jackson, Erasmus and Johnson fills that big mid hole - it just needs time.

Watching Amiss and Walters play as genuine forwards with craft is enough to make Freo supporters cry, we need another KPF to pair with Amiss, we need Kozzie Pickett and we need to find a way to age up Amiss to be 24 already

Edit: changed wording slightly Wizard in case you'd already started your reply

I think Hamling is as good as KPD depth as you need. You can even shuffle deckchairs if you need and play Ryan on the slowest KPF, he was AA in that role afterall. Davies and Draper to continue to develop at their own pace for a few years otherwise. I really dont want any capital spent on the backline as it stands

I agree we need a big mid but hopefully some combination of Jackson, Erasmus and Johnson fills that hole - it just needs time.

Watching Amiss and Walters play as genuine forwards with craft is enough to make Freo supporters cry, we need another KPF to pair with Amiss, we need Kozzie Pickett and we need to find a way to age up Amiss to be 24 already

Makes me cry even more when you look at Sonnys age and understand that the end of close.
Kozzie would be amazing but even if he chooses to come West i have a hard time seeing how a deal eventuates. We may need to fill that hole via the draft.

They desperately need to trade back into the first round of this draft, maybe Lachie Schultz could get them a late FRP ?

Their backline need some reinforcements and their midfield desperately needs some more pace/ball carriers .

Couldn't trust Bell to repair their list though.

And they probably need a new coach too.

After so much trade week success, Peter Bell has now got so many feathers in his cap he is starting to look like a stunted variety of peacock

They desperately need to trade back into the first round of this draft, maybe Lachie Schultz could get them a late FRP ?

Their backline need some reinforcements and their midfield desperately needs some more pace/ball carriers .

Couldn't trust Bell to repair their list though.

And they probably need a new coach too.
Chapman helps defence driz switta helps ball carry pace.
Pearce looks a shadow of him self

Starts in the middle.

Midfielders getting torched and letting the backline get exposed.
Yeah but it also doesn't help that Pearce can't defened a regualtion 1v1 without giving away a free kick. Or that Luke Ryan's kick out of d50 end up straight back in in the next possession.

Most wont like this because its the cross town rivals

But i feel there is a huge opportunity to target a few players from across the other side of town

Mcgovern
Darling
Yeo
T.Kelly

Eagles want draft picks. Some of these cant be done without spekaing to the AFL but

FA - Mcgovern
F1/pick 21 - Tim Kelly
Yeo/Darling - 2 x 3rd rounders or 1 2nd rounder

L.Ryan - A.Pearce - Mcgovern
H.Young - B.Cox - J.Clark (Yeo)

S.Darcy - T.Kelly - A.Brayshaw (JOM)
Aish - Serong - N.Odriscoll (Fyfe)

L.Schulz - Taberner - Frederick
L.Jackson - Darling - Walters (Switkowski)

Depth:
M.Johnson*
Erasmus*
J.Amiss*
H.Chapman*
J.Treacy*
Walker*

Last edited:

But i feel there is a huge opportunity to target a few players from across the other side of town

Mcgovern
Darling
Yeo
T.Kelly

Eagles want draft picks. Some of these cant be done without spekaing to the AFL but

Pick 21 - Mcgovern
F1 - Tim Kelly

Depth:
M.Johnson*
Erasmus*
J.Amiss*
H.Chapman*
J.Treacy*
Walker*

Your joking?

Mcgovern
Darling
Yeo
T.Kelly

Pick 21 - Mcgovern
F1 - Tim Kelly

Depth:
M.Johnson*
Erasmus*
J.Amiss*
H.Chapman*
J.Treacy*
Walker*
Most won't like this because it's a s**t idea.

McGovern - free agent for starters, doesn't fit the age profile, injury prone, not worth the dollars. Doesn't offer anything we don't already have.
Darling - Campaigner, doesn't fit the age profile, better off developing Amiss, Treacy & Kuek. We already have Tabs as an injury riddled experienced forward.
Yeo - Injury prone, doesn't fit the age profile
Kelly - He didn't want to come when he could, no chance of him coming over now. Age ok-ish, but what does he offer that isn't already on the list? Erasmus and Johnson could be more valuable so best to get game time into them. And no way we offer a first anyway.

It would be better to look at the other way, what depth does Freo have, that would consider a move across town?

Mcgovern
Darling
Yeo
T.Kelly

Pick 21 - Mcgovern
F1 - Tim Kelly

Depth:
M.Johnson*
Erasmus*
J.Amiss*
H.Chapman*
J.Treacy*
Walker*
Awesome Fun GIF by Tactical Baby Gear

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most won't like this because it's a s**t idea.

McGovern - free agent for starters, doesn't fit the age profile, injury prone, not worth the dollars. Doesn't offer anything we don't already have.
Darling - Campaigner, doesn't fit the age profile, better off developing Amiss, Treacy & Kuek. We already have Tabs as an injury riddled experienced forward.
Yeo - Injury prone, doesn't fit the age profile
Kelly - He didn't want to come when he could, no chance of him coming over now. Age ok-ish, but what does he offer that isn't already on the list? Erasmus and Johnson could be more valuable so best to get game time into them. And no way we offer a first anyway.

It would be better to look at the other way, what depth does Freo have, that would consider a move across town?
Didnt realise Gov was a FA, thought he had 1 more year.

Experience wins premierships. The age profile of the cats last year?

TK is a far better footballer right now than MJ and Ras

Last edited:
Didnt realise Gov was a FA, thought he had 1 more year.

Experience wins premierships. The age profile of the cats last year?

TK is a far better footballer right now than MJ and Ras

He is also about 9 years older than those boys.

Why on earth would we jeopardize our chances at a sustained 8-10 year run for the sake of a 1-year chance?
And to be fair he would be competing with JOM for a role anyway and i know who i would prefer..

He is also about 9 years older than those boys.

Why on earth would we jeopardize our chances at a sustained 8-10 year run for the sake of a 1-year chance?
And to be fair he would be competing with JOM for a role anyway and i know who i would prefer..
Lets be real, they can play in the same side

I dont think it jeopardizes anything. Not sure how giving up 1 good pick (pick 15-21) for Tim Kelly really jeopardizes much

Lets be real, they can play in the same side

I dont think it jeopardizes anything. Not sure how giving up 1 good pick (pick 15-21) for Tim Kelly really jeopardizes much
Tim Kelly is the only one you have put up that would make sense, he is also the one that we are priced out of

Darling is cooked, we have taberner as cooked depth already

Yeo is completely cooked

Mcgovern just signed 2 years so don't include him

Tim Kelly is the only one you have put up that would make sense, he is also the one that we are priced out of

Yeo is completely cooked

How are you priced out of TK? The eagles would be willing im sure to pay some of the contract if it meant getting a quality pick

Darling and Yeo would cost nothing, i cant see it a loss. A 3rd rounder for either is nor here nor there.

If Yeo got his body right which the eagles thought had happened this PS then it could be a huge beneficiary towards success in 2024 and 2025.

I still think Darling can offer a fair bit next year at the rught club. Amiss wouldnt get a kick forward for the eagles at the moment. At absolute worst hes excellent depth, but imo as a 31 yr old he can be important next year

Havnt heard the Gov news

Yeo is completely cooked

Did he really?

🤣🤣

That’s hilarious!

How are you priced out of TK? The eagles would be willing im sure to pay some of the contract if it meant getting a quality pick

Darling and Yeo would cost nothing, i cant see it a loss. A 3rd rounder for either is nor here nor there.

If Yeo got his body right which the eagles thought had happened this PS then it could be a huge beneficiary towards success in 2024 and 2025.

I still think Darling can offer a fair bit next year at the rught club. Amiss wouldnt get a kick forward for the eagles at the moment. At absolute worst hes excellent depth, but imo as a 31 yr old he can be important next year

Havnt heard the Gov news
We are priced out because we won't pay a first rounder for him, we have other pressing needs

Eagles won't let either of those 2 walk for a 3rd lol

Amiss has been miles better than darling this year... It's like you haven't even watched us, amiss is putting together one hell of a season for a 2nd year tall...

We are priced out because we won't pay a first rounder for him, we have other pressing needs

Eagles won't let either of those 2 walk for a 3rd lol

Amiss has been miles better than darling this year... It's like you haven't even watched us, amiss is putting together one hell of a season for a 2nd year tall...
Darling wont get anymore than a 3rd imo

Yeo they may want a 2nd but the whole premise was around if you can get them at the right price

2nd and 3rds could be important for guys like Ash Johnson, S.Neale, Dev Robbo, Sharp, Brockman types

What im saying is playing key forward for the eagles when O.Allen is the main target is not easy at the moment. Amiss would be having a far different year in yellow and blue next to Allen

Is has been a good year, i was a huge wrap for him in his draft year

Not many 19/20 yr old KPFs stand up in finals often

Darling wont get anymore than a 3rd imo

Yeo they may want a 2nd but the whole premise was around if you can get them at the right price

2nd and 3rds could be important for guys like Ash Johnson, S.Neale, Dev Robbo, Sharp, Brockman types

What im saying is playing key forward for the eagles when O.Allen is the main target is not easy at the moment. Amiss would be having a far different year in yellow and blue next to Allen

Is has been a good year, i was a huge wrap for him in his draft year

Not many 19/20 yr old KPFs stand up in finals often
Eagles won't let them go for 3rds, it's no chance

You are underrating what Amiss is doing

I certainly wouldn't drop him for darling

Eagles won't let them go for 3rds, it's no chance

You are underrating what Amiss is doing

I certainly wouldn't drop him for darling
Eagles would have to consider a pick 40 for a 31 yr old Darling imo

Even an F2 for Yeo

They need picks and to rejuventae with talent. These guys on the list are pointless to them

Eagles would have to consider a pick 40 for a 31 yr old Darling imo

Even an F2 for Yeo

They need picks and to rejuventae with talent. These guys on the list are pointless to them
It's the classic case of other clubs wouldn't pay what the eagles want, the eagles wouldn't take what the other clubs offer

It's lose/lose trades all around

Certainly none of them are coming to Freo

It's the classic case of other clubs wouldn't pay what the eagles want, the eagles wouldn't take what the other clubs offer

It's lose/lose trades all around

Certainly none of them are coming to Freo
Its hard to know what eagles would want. They need picks and arent in a position to pick and choose

There is also alot you can do with later picks these days regarding points but also as ive said over and over again if they can bring in far younger unproven talent like Sharp, Dev Robbo, Brockman, Neale, Ash Johnson for guys like Yeo, Cripps, Darling then its something they should be doing

Imo if i was in charge of fremantle id atleast be going to the eagles and saying i will give you pick 35 for Yeo, Pick 40 for Darling, you pay a decent chunk of their cap. You arent losing anything by asking the question. If Yeo got his body right in a final series it could be the difference

Remove this Banner Ad

Back