Europe War in Ukraine - Thread 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surely you're not naive enough to think this was the first time they have denied Russian claims are you?

Never mind Bakhmut.

Another bomb!

What air defence doing?

I could never get into DDT despite a few Russian friends mentioning them a bit. They'd always try to get me into the bands DDT and Bi-2, yet to this day I can't tell one band from the other! And yes I remember when that statement was made by Yury Shevchuk!

Found my original mention of this, including link to when he said it:
For some reason I can't quote my post. Took me ages to work out how to gather the TG link again:

Here's a bunch of references to musical artists from Russia and anti-war statements :

Please tell me the Russki's are not dropping bombs on themselves again, within a few days of the other one.
I believe it happened at the same time, the other missile remained unexploded. I didn't follow it closely but I don't think it was two separate timestamps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many more weeks until the mud is all dry? Cannot be too much longer.
I saw a report today that unfortunately there has been more rain again which was unexpected, and which I guess pushes things back again.

Again there are reports of UA taking foothold on the left (east) bank of the Dnipr, down near Kherson. However this is a TG channel prone to flag-waving sometimes (good for passing on photos/video but not for analysis) - and they claim they are getting the data from ISW which I usually disregard. Further, I can't help but feel is a dumb* place to cross the Dnipr, as its all swamp from there for some kms. Not sure I rate this rumour yet.

The counteroffensive began: the Armed Forces took up positions on the left bank of the Dnieper in the Kherson Region, ISW.
▪️Analysts confirm: our fighters landed north of Oleshok and advanced to the north of the vicinity of on the E97 highway.
▪️the Russian Federation no longer controls some islands in the Dnipro delta southwest of Kherson.
This confirms the statements of Malyar about the beginning of the offensive of the Armed Forces. We hold our fists for our heroes!

From [Trukha Ukraina]

"Statements of Malyar" links to [here]. Text from link follows :
The counteroffensive is already underway, - Deputy Minister of Defense Malyar.
▪️To speak narrowly about the counteroffensive is incorrect. This is a huge complex of various actions and measures currently carried out by the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
▪️The offensive is taking place in four main directions from the enemy: Bakhmutskyi, Marinskyi, Avdiivskyi, Lymanskyi.
▪️Malyar previously emphasized that the start of the counteroffensive of the Armed Forces of Ukraine will not be announced. Decisions on counteroffensive actions are made in a very short period of time.

(Note all four aspects mentioned are over on the Donetsl/Luhansk side, not Kherson).

Again, the link tree leads to a news article which more fully reports the statement from Malyar ([link]) :

Honestly dunno - need more info than this to be convinced.
Here's the ISW tweets.

Yep, there's a few reports on this now. Is it a diversion?
You would think so. Unless there is no Russian defence forces on the left bank, trying to create a bridgehead over the Dnipro would be suicide, similar to what the Russians faced in Kherson on the right bank before they had to hightail out of there.

But it is good psyops to keep the orcs guessing as to where the counter will be. I think Mike Martin has it correct. In the extension of the tweet below, he states to look at Kreminna and Svatove for the next diversion.

Add in Ukranian Nazi's and you've collected the set....

That sounded intriguing so you got me doing a search. Seems like it's been fairly common knowledge for almost a decade. Here's a report from 2014.

I also came across footage from a few days ago where Wagner soldiers show some weapons with interesting insignia on them found in Ukrainian positions they have just taken over. Won't link to it though until I can find independent confirmation.

That sounded intriguing so you got me doing a search. Seems like it's been fairly common knowledge for almost a decade. Here's a report from 2014.

I also came across footage from a few days ago where Wagner soldiers show some weapons with interesting insignia on them found in Ukrainian positions they have just taken over. Won't link to it though until I can find independent confirmation.
You don't give up do you? How many rubles per post?

Wagner is a Neo Nazi group. Putin's Russia are the worst fascists since Hitler. Claiming Ukranians don't exist, torturing / raping / killing anyone who dares to be or speak Ukranian.

The biggest Nazi problems in Ukraine are from invading Russians.

Please tell me the Russki's are not dropping bombs on themselves again, within a few days of the other one.
The widespread reporting of this incident has the sole purpose of making the Russians look foolish - it's propaganda.
Which is not to say it didn't happen; I'm of a mind to believe it did, as much as one can belief anything reported on these days as being unvarnished gospel. Twitter, deepfakes... who knows anything, really.

The best propaganda is that which is real, and spun for maximum effect.
I've little doubt that there have been many such incidents in this war so far. Many. On both sides.
The propagandic advantage of this one, is that it occurred within Russian territory. Easily pointed at, easily highlighted, undeniable. Media fodder.

While it seems kosher to deride the prowess of Russia's military right now, I feel it necessary to point that incidents such as these... Blue on Blue (or Green on Blue, in light of other events in recent years) are actually quite commonplace. I'm going to list only one or two.

In 1943, in the immediate aftermath of the ANZIO landings, Allied anti-aircraft batteries broke up and destroyed an entire American paratrooper landing further inland in order to secure the bridgehead. Miscommunications ensured that the anti-aircraft gunners, who were jittery as a result of being under constant attack from the Luftwaffe since the landings began and were apparently uninformed that an airborne drop was planned, opened fire on unidentified aircraft 400 feet above and broke up the attack completely - causing over 300 casualties among the 504th parachute infantry regiment.
They made a movie about the 300 once. CGI, mostly. The blood wasn't real. Very heroic.
Think about those 300 instead. The paratroopers. That's reality.

The London Blitz in World War 2 was the result of the Germans (Hitler in a rage) shifting their attention to London, previously not a deliberate target, as a result of a single English bombing raid over Berlin. Which was a retaliation for a few bombs dropped over London by an off-course German bomber, mistaken for a deliberate strike.
One might say the London Blitz itself went down in historical ignominy due to a simple navigational error. Strangest thing about that being that the shifting of attention by the Germans from bombing British airfields to London itself is acknowledged as a significant factor in allowing the RAF some respite, which contributed to the eventual victory of the RAF over the Luftwaffe.

During the Gulf War in the 90's, American tanks were destroyed by friendly fire from their own unit commanders when an Iraqi Republican Guard unit tried using grenade launchers against tanks and AFV's. Other American tank commanders, using thermal imaging, mistook the impact flashes and heat signatures as enemy fire, returned it and destroyed "the enemy" accordingly... which later turned out to be 3 American Bradleys and two M1 Abrams. 31 casualities.
Note that those (6 who died) were the only casualties that armoured brigade suffered during the entire Gulf War.
Think they made a movie loosely based on that one. Denzel Washington? Might have to look that up.

I don't remember exact numbers, but I've read somewhere that a quarter or so of all American and allied forces casualties during the entire Gulf War were a direct result of blue on blue incidents.

"Friendly Fire" incidents can happen for a variety or reasons. Poor communication. Navigational errors. Technological failures.
Thing to remember is that this isn't some video game you're playing in your room on your nice little X-Box your parents bought you for Christmas. Those targets aren't clearly deliminated by maps you can press a key to pop up when you get confused as to where you are, nor do they have little green or red pips above their heads to tell you they're the enemy so its safe to pull the trigger. You don't always have a choice as to when or where you drop your ordinance, and you're often told when to and when not to by other people, elsewhere, looking at a map relying on information on where they think you are - and sometimes, your equipment fails or malfunctions.

It's real. The people are real. They're not "Orcs", they're not incompetent. They're human beings, in a war.
Please try to remember that.

Watch this. Right to the very end. Read the transcriptions. Try to imagine you're the ones in those planes. Take care to note just how much awareness and vision a pilot in an aircraft actually has, how reliant they are upon the information they've been given. Imagine if someone had had a movie camera to document the destruction of that American Paratrooper force at the hands of its own AA fire.
If you're capable.

Then watch the second one, to see how its spun at top levels (different incident). And after that, of course, there's Bigfooty. Jokes about Orcs.

And see if you can figure out why I have more sympathy for people involved in this sort of incident, whichever "side" they're on, than I'll ever have for the likes of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back