List Mgmt. Luke Jackson - Yay or Nay?

Do you want to pay the high price tag for Luke Jackson?

• YAY

• NAY

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok - we need to stop talking about Jackson as a key forward.

He's taken 14 marks inside 50 and kicked 11 goals in 21 games this year.

Good player, but he's not a KPF.

So basically he is like a slightly worse (statistically speaking) Rory Lobb in 2020 in his 7th season (10 goals in 17 games)?

I think people's opinions on this have been coloured by some spectacularly stupid hot takes from prominent commentators during the year.

No-one credible has suggested we're looking at him as a KPF.

Where bringing him in does work is if we're really serious about moving to a genuine two-ruck set-up, as his attributes and skill-set compliment Darcy's far better than Meek's do. It also means we go all in on Amiss and Tabs/Treacy as the two main KPFs.

If that's how the club is looking at it, I think we go for it - but walk away if it looks like becoming a Kelly-esque sell the farm scenario.
Let's assume that they spend 50% each in the ruck and 20% each on the bench, where are they spending the other 60% of the game? Probably as a KPF right?

So basically he is like a slightly worse (statistically speaking) Rory Lobb in 2020 in his 7th season (10 goals in 17 games)?
Well lets make it apples with apples, thats the Covid year (shorter games) and playing for a team that went 7-10 (coaches first year) vs full quarters and the team that went 16-6.

So he's as good as Rory in a **** team, a new coach and shorter quarters. It's also no secret that this is the first year Rory has been consistently good, so I am not sure he should be your bench mark. Rory has under-performed for his price.

Let's assume that they spend 50% each in the ruck and 20% each on the bench, where are they spending the other 60% of the game? Probably as a KPF right?

Well lets make it apples with apples, thats the Covid year (shorter games) and playing for a team that went 7-10 (coaches first year) vs full quarters and the team that went 16-6.

So he's as good as Rory in a **** team, a new coach and shorter quarters. It's also no secret that this is the first year Rory has been consistently good, so I am not sure he should be your bench mark. Rory has under-performed for his price.
Darcy 30% forward.

Jackson 30% forward or in the midfield depending on match ups.

You don't necessarily have to classify him either way. The beauty of Jackson is that what you'll get is a highly flexible player who potentially could play most positions on the ground, a la Blicavs. Good in the air and hard to stop when it hits the ground. He's still got a huge room for development, which diminishes the use of stats as a negative at this point.

Sure we want to be cautious with the cost of such a big trade, but don't want to be rigidly against it either.

Rory Lobb is an interesting comparison. It's Jackson's 3rd season, so lets have a look at what Rory was up to..

Well, in Rory's 3rd season he was playing alongside one of the premier ruckmen in the comp at the time in Shane Mumford. Giants had a relatively successful year finishing 4th. Very similar circumstances to Jackson at Dees this year.

Rory kicked 29 goals in 2016. 1 less than Jackson has in his entire career including finals.

Look, I get seduced by potential as much as the next guy, so I'm looking forward to seeing Jackson running around in purple. There's a very good chance he'll be a good player for us for a long time BUT he's not a key forward, and he's not a 'generational talent'. He might be, but there's simply no indication that he will be.

Personally, I think he's had an ordinary year. Not just statistically bad, but using the eye-test he looks like he's been injured for a large part of the second half of the year. I'd be very concerned about sitting out 2 drafts for him on his output to date, which is why I'd be offering fair value, but willing to walk away if it pulls the guts out of our 2022/23 drafts or ruins our TPP. We need those drafts to fix our forward line and the salary to keep better players.

If Acres, Logue, Tucker, Meek and Lobb leave just to fit him in it would be the most Dockery thing the Dockers have done since Andrew McLead.

Last edited:
You don't necessarily have to classify him either way. The beauty of Jackson is that what you'll get is a highly flexible player who potentially could play most positions on the ground, a la Blicavs. Good in the air and hard to stop when it hits the ground. He's still got a huge room for development, which diminishes the use of stats as a negative at this point.

Sure we want to be cautious with the cost of such a big trade, but don't want to be rigidly against it either.
Is that what Dockers need? Don't we need forwards?

If this was a Logan McDonald discussion, I'd perfectly understand why we're getting excited. He fills a need.

Jackson doesn't address any need we have or will have in the future.

Rory Lobb is an interesting comparison. It's Jackson's 3rd season, so lets have a look at what Rory was up to..

Well, in Rory's 3rd season he was playing alongside one of the premier ruckmen in the comp at the time in Shane Mumford. Giants had a relatively successful year finishing 4th. Very similar circumstances to Jackson at Dees this year.

Rory kicked 29 goals in 2016. 1 less than Jackson has in his entire career including finals.

Look, I get seduced by potential as much as the next guy, so I'm looking forward to seeing Jackson running around in purple. There's a very good chance he'll be a good player for us for a long time BUT he's not a key forward, and he's not a 'generational talent'. He might be, but there's simply no indication that he will be.

Personally, I think he's had an ordinary year. Not just statistically bad, but using the eye-test he looks like he's been injured for a large part of the second half of the year. I'd be very concerned about sitting out 2 drafts for him on his output to date, which is why I'd be offering fair value, but willing to walk away if it pulls the guts out of our 2022/23 drafts or ruins our TPP. We need those drafts to fix our forward line and the salary to keep better players.

If Acres, Logue, Tucker, Meek and Lobb leave just to fit him in it would be the most Dockery thing the Dockers have done since Andrew McLead.
I Have never agreed with a post more . Would give it 2 likes if I could.

I think you're right, although I imagine that Logue wants to stay and is pushing for the $$$ because there's a deal too good to be true come from over East.

For me, Logue has improved in spades since he was dropped earlier I'm the year. He provides important structure up forward, he can pinch hit in the ruck and he's a wonderful defender.

Hut he just can't football to the level that I believe is required at our club now. Sure, there's others that can provide that role with ball in hand but I'm not sure I'm going to be absolutely devastated beyond belief if you ends up going.
Let’s not confuse things.
His manager has no idea uses the media to up his bidding because he is to gutless to have adult conversation face to face.
Griff is a good lad who appears to love the club and I suspect he doesn’t share the views of his manager.
I hope all our players would rather a flag then extra money especially the WA players.
If they can win a flag they won’t need extra money because they won’t have to pay for a beer ever again.
First and foremost we want a flag but secondly we want sustained success.
Not bombers 2000 then 20 years in the abyss!

If this was a Logan McDonald discussion, I'd perfectly understand why we're getting excited. He fills a need.

Amiss is better than Logan McDonald. A trio of Amiss, Treacy, and Jackson is potent, very young at the moment.

Meek is only 22 sorry24 and just ready to show his best , His dominance at WAFL level shows he is ready to take the next step . For him to leave for peanuts . And us to pay overs for a over hyped Jackson would p**s me off big time.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do posters continue to claim that Acres, Logue, Tucker, Meek and Lobb are leaving to bring in Jackson?

Lobb’s contract alone will likely cover Jackson’s.

Lobb GF wants to live in Vic
Acres wants more than 300k a year
Logue wants more than 500k a year
Meek wants more opportunity
Tucker wants more opportunity

I also have no issue with 2 late firsts for Jackson, think it’s more the $$$ offered.

To be fair to Jackson, Rory Lobb was a fair bit older than Jackson in his third season of AFL. That's how he can be starting next season as a 30 year old and only began AFL in 2014.

I don't think Jackson is yet at the age Rory Lobb started playing.

He can be a forward (he could even play wing at times too). Big big call (almost denying reality call) on the "doesn't address any need now or in the future". I'm not sure how any team doesn't "need" young players as versatile and talented as Jackson.

The "need' is probably the more tight take on this particular trade anyways. A better framing is would he substantially add to our list capabilities?

He can be a forward (he could even play wing at times too). Big big call (almost denying reality call) on the "doesn't address any need now or in the future". I'm not sure how any team doesn't "need" young players as versatile and talented as Jackson.

The "need' is probably the more tight take on this particular trade anyways. A better framing is would he substantially add to our list capabilities?
What do you see as Freo's 'needs'?

To be fair to Jackson, Rory Lobb was a fair bit older than Jackson in his third season of AFL. That's how he can be starting next season as a 30 year old and only began AFL in 2014.

I don't think Jackson is yet at the age Rory Lobb started playing.
I don't think I'm being unfair. I've said there's a good chance he'll be a very good player and would love to see him at Freo.

A reasonable trade in my opinion would be something like:

Pick 14, F2, F4 and a player (see Brad Hill)
or
Upgrade our 1st to WB pick 11 in the Lobb trade, and sent 11 and F1 for Jackson and a 2nd.
or
Pick 14, F1 for Jackson and a pick upgrade 3rd to 2nd.

"What do you see as Freo's 'needs'?"

A functioning forward six that is reliable and adaptable.

But, seriously, f&ck needs. I want this shit. I want Luke Jackson to hit his prime in purple. I want Fremantle to have blokes who want to be here, winning shit and having a good time.

But if it's needs you have to satisfy, I reckon with a forward line with Treacy, Amiss and Jackson as your talls you get pressure, speed, marking power and freakiness. All reliable kicks. All young. All want to be here.

I don't think I'm being unfair. I've said there's a good chance he'll be a very good player and would love to see him at Freo.

A reasonable trade in my opinion would be something like:

Pick 14, F2, F4 and a player (see Brad Hill)
or
Upgrade our 1st to WB pick 11 in the Lobb trade, and sent 11 and F1 for Jackson and a 2nd.
or
Pick 14, F1 for Jackson and a pick upgrade 3rd to 2nd.

I think those trades are reasonable.

Back