AFLW Official - Bombers, Hawks, Power, Swans all to enter AFLW from 2022-23 onwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

The AFL is expected to finally embrace an 18-team AFLW competition for the 2022-23 season when it announces expansion plans at midday on Thursday.
The league has not yet informed those four teams - Essendon, Port Adelaide, Sydney and Hawthorn - that they will be in the competition next year.

But the Herald Sun understands the AFL will make the declaration that every team will have its own women’s side for a 2022-23 competition that will start at the end of next year.

The four teams put in detailed submissions which were assessed by the AFL Commission at its two-day meeting last week.

And while there will be significant concerns about the dilution of talent in coming seasons the reality is the league cannot continue holding out sides like Hawthorn, who have battled for years to gain entry to the AFLW.

but i don't understand why Saints were allowed to pre-sign 2 Dandy Stingrays when their NGA is Sandy dragons?
I'd assume it's because the players themselves live inside the NGA zone (since the Stingrays operate from inside Melbourne's zone). I'm pretty sure this is the map they use. I think some of the Stingrays would be from St Kilda territory and some of them would be Melbourne. I would not be at all surprised to find out I'm wrong.

a question that i have to anyone
player Z signed 2 year contract this season, can player Z sign with an expansion club next year, even tho there's still 1 year left on the contract?
From 29 May 2021, just before the most recent trade period:
Clubs are also able to sign players to two-season deals, although have been told they have to renegotiate the second year if the CBA changes. Players will also be able to walk from their second season if approached by an expansion club.
In other words, the contracts that some players have for beyond this season... hardly qualify as contracts at all.

Despite that, or perhaps because of that, several clubs (possibly all, can't remember) made a song and dance about players who did sign two-year "contracts" back in June.

I'd assume it's because the players themselves live inside the NGA zone (since the Stingrays operate from inside Melbourne's zone). I'm pretty sure this is the map they use. I think some of the Stingrays would be from St Kilda territory and some of them would be Melbourne. I would not be at all surprised to find out I'm wrong.
Yeah, the Saints have access to prospects from the Frankston LGA that qualify as NGA, in the boys at least. Although I thought Shannon and McDonald were more Berwick area, which is why I wonder if Essendon will be given the Pioneers as well given the VFLW connection, similar as the one between the Stingrays and Saints

When there are 18 teams next season, do we expect the Men’s final 8 finals system to come into play? They can’t only have 6 finalists in an 18 team competition. That would be way too unfair.

When there are 18 teams next season, do we expect the Men’s final 8 finals system to come into play? They can’t only have 6 finalists in an 18 team competition. That would be way too unfair.
The week off and/or double chance is unfair too, considering the ladder placings are potentially heavily dictated by a really inequal H&A fixture.

Until the season is long enough for an everybody-plays-each-other-once deal, the best finals system would be 1v8 2v7 3v6 4v5 in week 1, prelims in week 2, and gf in week 3.

From 29 May 2021, just before the most recent trade period:

In other words, the contracts that some players have for beyond this season... hardly qualify as contracts at all.

Despite that, or perhaps because of that, several clubs (possibly all, can't remember) made a song and dance about players who did sign two-year "contracts" back in June.

So the expan teams next year are allowed to poach up to 14 listed aflw players as per this article

My question is if they can poach only uncontracted players? Though by what you write they could poach contracted?

If it was only uncontracted it would be massively difficult for port. Since it would be very hard to recruit interstate players we would only have access to crows uncontracted players who might be willing to leave. Wouldn’t think there would be lots of realistic targets.

The incoming Vic teams would have a much bigger field to poach from.. 2 clubs poaching from 8 clubs.

Hopefully it’s contracted.

So the expan teams next year are allowed to poach up to 14 listed aflw players as per this article

My question is if they can poach only uncontracted players? Though by what you write they could poach contracted?

If it was only uncontracted it would be massively difficult for port. Since it would be very hard to recruit interstate players we would only have access to crows uncontracted players who might be willing to leave. Wouldn’t think there would be lots of realistic targets.

The incoming Vic teams would have a much bigger field to poach from.. 2 clubs poaching from 8 clubs.

you’d probably have to trade draft picks for contracted players

you’d probably have to trade draft picks for contracted players

That wouldn’t make sense. That’s just called “trading”
And wouldn’t make sense to give expan teams an “expan signing period” to sign listed afl players from other clubs if all you’re actually offering is called “trading”

from my reading the comp then reorders the draft based on teams losses to expan teams. Which they’ve done in the past from what I was reading.

That wouldn’t make sense. That’s just called “trading”
And wouldn’t make sense to give expan teams an “expan signing period” to sign listed afl players from other clubs if all you’re actually offering is called “trading”

from my reading the comp then reorders the draft based on teams losses to expan teams. Which they’ve done in the past from what I was reading.
Well I doubt you can break a contract

unlucky for the expansion clubs who have come in now when multi year contracts just introduced but that’s what you get for coming in late I guess

Yes it means contracted players can leave their club to sign for one of the 4 new teams (for the initial list build).

The only complication is if a club has already lost their maximum quota of players (the number of which is tbd). That's when trades might come into play.

Well I doubt you can break a contract

unlucky for the expansion clubs who have come in now when multi year contracts just introduced but that’s what you get for coming in late I guess
Read this. The contracts can be broken, no two ways about it.

Yes it means contracted players can leave their club to sign for one of the 4 new teams (for the initial list build).

The only complication is if a club has already lost their maximum quota of players (the number of which is tbd). That's when trades might come into play.

Read this. The contracts can be broken, no two ways about it.
Makes contracts moot then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a no brainer.

Why wouldn’t you target both Phillips?

Appoint Greg as the coach with a succession for Erin take over when she retires.
Asked Erin that question in 2019 (in Florida of all places!) and she replied "don't you start".

From the look on her face and tone in her voice, it felt like she was holding back from saying 'the moment they ask me, I'm going'!

Below is something not published in the Herald Sun, though it isn't any less accurate than numerous reports from previous expansion periods wherein Lily Mithen's move to Geelong, for example, was deemed a fait accompli.

It is purely an interpretation of each club's priorities, in terms of signing players who are currently on an AFLW list. It is not a commentary on each player's intentions, nor does it address prospects who aren't currently on an AFLW list.

aflwexpansiontargets2.jpg

ESSENDON are extremely optimistic about Georgia Patrikios playing AFLW football this time next year. They hope to land her alongside Ally Anderson, Georgie Prespakis, and Ashleigh Riddell to form what some are calling the "GAGA" midfield. If Patrikios doesn't come around, they will target Maddy Prespakis to lead the on-ball unit, but with some reluctance due to Carlton's preparedness to retain her.

HAWTHORN are expected to hone in on the players Bec Goddard and list manager Mitch Cashion believe to be the league's most underrated. This includes Tayla Harris, in whom the Bombers and the Swans are also very interested.

PORT ADELAIDE will approach every player currently listed with the Crows. In the interests of brevity, the "Others on the Radar" section focuses on South Australians who may be lured back to the Festival State. The Power also plan to pounce on Chloe Scheer if she gets homesick at the Cattery.

The SYDNEY SWANS want to build a squad around experienced leaders who can engage with their minds and their hearts, as well as unique individuals who exchange ideas, thoughts and energy. They will particularly look to the GWS Giants' dramatic improvement in the second AFLW season as a blueprint.

Last edited:
Below is something not published in the Herald Sun, though it isn't any less accurate than numerous reports from previous expansion periods wherein Lily Mithen's move to Geelong, for example, was deemed a fait accompli.

It is purely an interpretation of each club's priorities, in terms of signing players who are currently on an AFLW list. It is not a commentary on each player's intentions, nor does it address prospects who aren't currently on an AFLW list.

View attachment 1315250

ESSENDON are extremely optimistic about Georgia Patrikios playing AFLW football this time next year. They hope to land her alongside Ally Anderson, Georgie Prespakis, and Ashleigh Riddell to form what some are calling the "GAGA" midfield. If Patrikios doesn't come around, they will target Maddy Prespakis to lead the on-ball unit, but with some reluctance due to Carlton's preparedness to retain her.

HAWTHORN are expected to hone in on the players Bec Goddard and list manager Mitch Cashion believe to be the league's most underrated. This includes Tayla Harris, in whom the Bombers and the Swans are also very interested.

PORT ADELAIDE will approach every player currently listed with the Crows. In the interests of brevity, the "Others on the Radar" section focuses on South Australians who may be lured back to the Festival State. The Power also plan to pounce on Chloe Scheer if she gets homesick at the Cattery.

The SYDNEY SWANS want to build a squad around experienced leaders who can engage with their minds and their hearts, as well as unique individuals who exchange ideas, thoughts and energy. They will particularly look to the GWS Giants' dramatic improvement in the second AFLW season as a blueprint.
Barba, Bush, Hammond, Perkins, Perry, and especially Ahrens, Bohanna and Rowbottom are not going anywhere

Last edited:
Expansion clubs (particularly Sydney) might also consider whether they can target some of the exisiting Irish players as getting them to change clubs or cities may not be as difficult, a previous example was the Eagles recruiting McCarthy from the Dogs.

Barba, Bush, Hammond, Perkins, Perry, and especially Ahrens, Bohanna and Rowbottom are not going anywhere
Aside from the possibility of some of them not even having the option of staying at the Suns... Speaking for the players, who are big girls capable of making their own decisions, seems like a good way of setting yourself up to be disappointed.

Hawthorn will also pursue Drennan, but there's such a thing as information overload.

Expansion clubs (particularly Sydney) might also consider whether they can target some of the exisiting Irish players as getting them to change clubs or cities may not be as difficult, a previous example was the Eagles recruiting McCarthy from the Dogs.
With my limited knowledge of visa laws, I'm not sure if it is actually easier to target current Irish players--depends on what and how they can be paid outside the salary cap. But whatever the case may be, it admittedly doesn't apply to Orla O'Dwyer, who has Australian citizenship.

And though the official line with McCarthy was merely "work experience opportunity", I wonder to what degree the move was aided by the fact that the Eagles already had a couple Irish players at the club, which is an advantage the incoming teams don't have (if indeed it is an advantage).

100%.

I would target WA as well.

Some young girls missed out and there is always mature age recruits in the WAFL.

Bilich from Peel should be playing AFLW somewhere.

View attachment 1315250

ESSENDON are extremely optimistic about Georgia Patrikios playing AFLW football this time next year.

Cheers for the news.

How on Earth will Patrikios ever play again? She won't change her mind and suddenly get vaccinated and then head off to Essendon, that would just be taking the piss and a real f-you to St Kilda (in all honesty she already has), who has done nothing but support her.

And losing Priest and Cutting wouldn't just be a kick in the plums, it would completely cut them off. I can see how massive it would be for Cutting to be based in SA again.

But geez this is all salt in the wounds of a struggling club. It's like stealing from the homeless.

Cheers for the news.

How on Earth will Patrikios ever play again? She won't change her mind and suddenly get vaccinated and then head off to Essendon, that would just be taking the piss and a real f-you to St Kilda (in all honesty she already has), who has done nothing but support her.

And losing Priest and Cutting wouldn't just be a kick in the plums, it would completely cut them off. I can see how massive it would be for Cutting to be based in SA again.

But geez this is all salt in the wounds of a struggling club. It's like stealing from the homeless.
Bombers are good with injections.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back