Remove this Banner Ad

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I'm very late to the piece this year, and was meant to start this back in April after I went down to watch the NAB league. But better late than never, I've watched plenty of this years draft class and thought I'd do a phantom draft for how I feel it might fall.

I will release 10 picks per day.
1635392578958.png

Top 60 in now, and I've added some more context around some of the selections.

Attachments

• 1634686017692.png
    1634686017692.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,116
  • 1634776945346.png
    1634776945346.png
    48 KB · Views: 1,198
  • 1634859132250.png
    1634859132250.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 914
  • 1635118913572.png
    1635118913572.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 575
  • 1635204190630.png
    1635204190630.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 342
  • 1635208322675.png
    1635208322675.png
    104 KB · Views: 779
Last edited:
So you think GWS are well stocked for midfielders but are reaching for Erasmus, an inferior midfielder to Callaghan?

Edit: And Hawks have Lewis, Kosi and Jeka as key forwards with promise, not to mention Lynch and Reeves as rucks. They need another key defender and midfielders.

I'm very late to the piece this year, and was meant to start this back in April after I went down to watch the NAB league. But better late than never, I've watched plenty of this years draft class and thought I'd do a phantom draft for how I feel it might fall.

View attachment 1264118
If GWS need forwards and are reaching then wouldnt Rachelle or Andrew make more sense. Hawks have enough young tall fwd/rucks, I think we will take best mid avail (Ward hopefully if Finn is gone).

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So you think GWS are well stocked for midfielders but are reaching for Erasmus, an inferior midfielder to Callaghan?

Edit: And Hawks have Lewis, Kosi and Jeka as key forwards with promise, not to mention Lynch and Reeves as rucks. They need another key defender and midfielders.
Callaghan is very similar to Kelly and also Whitfield, and they have a plethora of contested mids ranging from young to old. I see Erasmus best position as half forward not midfield!

Those Hawks fwds you mention are ok, and hopefully they do come on but I wouldn't be betting my future on them. I see the forward line as the area they need the most attention, Erasmus would've been perfect! I live Reeves, and Andrew could work nicely in tandem with him in the future.

If GWS need forwards and are reaching then wouldnt Rachelle or Andrew make more sense. Hawks have enough young tall fwd/rucks, I think we will take best mid avail (Ward hopefully if Finn is gone).

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I see Erasmus as a forward so perfect for GWS. After Diacos, Darcy, H-F and Callaghan it's so even it's almost impossible to have a reach.

Hawthorn were the hard one here, and I think Erasmus as a half forward would've been ideal. A mid would be other good fit, but would have to be different to Worpel, Mitchell, O'Meara and more of an offensive weapon: Goater or Ward would be the two I'd look at. But Andrew will be class, as both a forward and ruck.

Last edited:
Why do Melbourne want a tall. They play 3 talls + Fritsch, and Weid in the VFL all year not getting a gig
He's a midfielder, and a tall one at that. Melbourne don't really need anyone for the now, so he's more development player for years to come.
Also one who has big upside, so at that point in the draft you're getting a player who could become anything.

I think he could play forward in his earlier years.

He's a midfielder, and a tall one at that. Melbourne don't really need anyone for the now, so he's more development player for years to come.
Also one who has big upside, so at that point in the draft you're getting a player who could become anything.

I think he could play forward in his earlier years.
The comment is a response to your curious observation that Melbourne need a KPF.

The comment is a response to your curious observation that Melbourne need a KPF.
McDonald and Brown are 29, and the 3rd tall is a resting ruck of which Gawn is 30 this year.

KPF take 3-4 years to develop to play the role well, so now is a great time to bring one in to develop through the VFL.
Weideman hardly setting the world on fire and Fritsch plays best with two KPF's as a mid sized fwd.

View attachment 1264803

Top 20 in now, and I've added some more context around some of the selections.
Sinn in and Clark to the midfield is my ideal scenario. He'd add that speed we are missing from the back half and also allow Hill to move back to the wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sinn in and Clark to the midfield is my ideal scenario. He'd add that speed we are missing from the back half and also allow Hill to move back to the wing.
Yep, Clark was always a really good runner and now with 4 years under his belt should be ready for a breakout year in the midfield. His good both sides and with Hill on a wing will give your fwds good looks at it coming inside 50.

Top 30 are in, I'll add 31-40 on Monday. Sorry fellow Eagles fans as we have two picks in here, but it's freedom day and I plan to have a few frothies over the weekend.

No way taking a tall (Hawthorn) at 7

Would be Sinn/Ward/Hobbs

But right in saying would be ecstatic getting Sonsie at 21
Honestly, the Hawks pick was bloody hard one as you need a bit of everything. But I thought your midfield looks good for now, JOM, Mitchell and Worpel plus Finn Magginness must be close to coming in who is a smooth mid. You've got Phillips, Day and Downie for outside and Newcombe another who I think will kick on next year as a general midfielder. So I didn't see it as a huge need, but a Goater or Ward would add a different type of midfielder and would come under careful consideration.

Defenders for mine look alright, you took DGB who I think will be an absolute star. Hartigan and Frost are ageing but still get 3-4 years out of both. Small defenders you look pretty well stocked. So I thought forwards is where you're a little light on, I think Erasmus as a half forward would be perfect and can push into the midfield to add something different and maybe Rachele if he's gone. But I thought Andrew as a 3rd tall fwd early days, then combining with Reeves down the track could be perfect. He brings X factor!

All good, enjoying your reasoning for each pick. But I'd just note you have GWS with a pick at #47, which would have been used up in matching for Josh Fahey earlier in your selections.
Thanks, I made a note of the 730 points GWS would need to match but forgot to take out those picks.

Look, I'm all for people being kept busy and staying out of trouble. But please
does everyone need to blindly have a go at the draft?
I say blindly because you musn't of watched a single Hawks game if you think we are taking anyone but
the best mid avail. As for Hobbs not going until pick 13......13......(Yes Huddo, 13), I'm speechless. You even posted this in the morning
so I can't factor in the grog as an out for you my friend.

Look, I'm all for people being kept busy and staying out of trouble. But please
does everyone need to blindly have a go at the draft?
I say blindly because you musn't of watched a single Hawks game if you think we are taking anyone but
the best mid avail. As for Hobbs not going until pick 13......13......(Yes Huddo, 13), I'm speechless. You even posted this in the morning
so I can't factor in the grog as an out for you my friend.
Haha, what makes you have Hobbs so early? He's in a very even group and I went for who I thought best suited each team.
To be honest, Hobbs I think isn't a great fit for the Hawks if you went a mid as he's very similar to what you already have.
I'd be looking to diversify, and go for a Ward, Goater or Erasmus as a Fwd/Mid.

But I think you need forwards more than mids at this point in time, however looking ahead to next years draft the key forwards in that draft are better and more of them. So you may prioritise a mid here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back