2021 Bendigo Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

You actually realise that Gisborne played rupertswood that year in a practice match and rupo won, and Gisborne played finals.

I didn't say that they'd beat Strath or square, but they would give Kyneton a real shake

I will say Castlemaine were that bad this year, their 92 premiership team would beat them in a game

that couldn’t be any more incorrect. If those RDFL clubs even from a couple years ago were in Bendigo league, they would be beaten by the likes of Strath and Golden Square by 200+ points every week.

Weak opposition playing each other will of course make them look better, but no RDFL SiDe is winning a game in the Bendigo league except maybe Castlemaine but even that I’m not certain

You actually realise that Gisborne played rupertswood that year in a practice match and rupo won, and Gisborne played finals.

I didn't say that they'd beat Strath or square, but they would give Kyneton a real shake

I will say Castlemaine were that bad this year, their 92 premiership team would beat them in a game

you do also realise Gisborne had close to 14 senior players out that day.

also if you want to go off practice matches didn’t Kyneton beat Macedon this year by 8 goals with a side that only had 7 round 1 starting players?

I've seen enough country footy to compare clubs and where they're at. I'd imagine clubs like Macedon and Riddell would be the envy of Kyenton, they have large followings, seem to be able to get and retain quality recruits and I do recall scenic Tony Clarke reserve absulutely packed Anzac Day v rupo, and a high standard of footy.

I'd suggest that if you rate your club so highly, why did the play a practice game against a minnow like Macedon?

Btw this isn't a dig on Kyneton, but to suggest the gulf in talent is that wide from the top Riddell sides and Kyenton for the last 5 years, should look at the premiers in the rdfl and the sides they've produced. Many young guys play some vfl, with a sprinkling of ex AFL players in there, with some quality Bendigo, Ballarat and Essendon league players recruited.

you do also realise Gisborne had close to 14 senior players out that day.

also if you want to go off practice matches didn’t Kyneton beat Macedon this year by 8 goals with a side that only had 7 round 1 starting players?

I've seen enough country footy to compare clubs and where they're at. I'd imagine clubs like Macedon and Riddell would be the envy of Kyenton, they have large followings, seem to be able to get and retain quality recruits and I do recall scenic Tony Clarke reserve absulutely packed Anzac Day v rupo, and a high standard of footy.

I'd suggest that if you rate your club so highly, why did the play a practice game against a minnow like Macedon?

Btw this isn't a dig on Kyneton, but to suggest the gulf in talent is that wide from the top Riddell sides and Kyenton for the last 5 years, should look at the premiers in the rdfl and the sides they've produced. Many young guys play some vfl, with a sprinkling of ex AFL players in there, with some quality Bendigo, Ballarat and Essendon league players recruited.

Safe to say I don’t think there would be one club in Australia that would envy where Riddell is at.

As stated before. You enjoy your 4 team comp with 2 under 18 sides next year and Kyneton will hopefully see its recent off field success move to on field success!

Long Term reader first time replier.
Having been involved closely with both leagues and still heavily involved, I think if Kyneton can get their onfield structure right they will be the envy of teams state wide. Being in a position to employ a full time staff member after the success of two raffles the past 2 years, they are in as good as financial position as any club in the area.

Have always loved watching RDFL footy, but in my honest option, I don’t think any of the last 5 premiers would win anymore than 3 games in the Bendigo Football League.
That is certainly no disrespect to the RDFL it’s just where both leagues are at and the BFL is a very long way ahead.

It does sadden me to hear some reports that are coming from the RDFL as we speak and it would be devastating if the league was to go under next year.

Yeah nah. They're bad but let's not forget what league they're in, they'd be ok in quite a few lower leagues.

Agree and let’s hope for the sake of everyone in the BFL the Maine can keep their core young list and bring in some quality recruits to bridge that gap.

Have all clubs locked away their coach’s for 2022?

To be fair to Kyneton, they have one of the biggest, if not the biggest, followings of any local footy netball club in the region. Regardless of how the are going on field the local support has never waned. I can remember going with some old mates to a game back when they didn’t have a senior side a d there were as many people there watching the footy that day as there has been at any RDFL regular season game I’ve seen And if I remember right it was only maybe 3 or 4 years ago they finished top 3 in Bendigo league after home and away season.
And another thing I reckon Kyneton and Macedon have been playing each other in practice matches for many years now, makes sense for a couple of local clubs from nearby set up something like that against each other.

Anyway wouldn’t it be nice if we could all get along, truth is there is no point comparing teams in different leagues as we will never know, even if they played a practice match against each other it’s not the real thing!

To be fair to Kyneton, they have one of the biggest, if not the biggest, followings of any local footy netball club in the region. Regardless of how the are going on field the local support has never waned. I can remember going with some old mates to a game back when they didn’t have a senior side a d there were as many people there watching the footy that day as there has been at any RDFL regular season game I’ve seen And if I remember right it was only maybe 3 or 4 years ago they finished top 3 in Bendigo league after home and away season.
And another thing I reckon Kyneton and Macedon have been playing each other in practice matches for many years now, makes sense for a couple of local clubs from nearby set up something like that against each other.

Anyway wouldn’t it be nice if we could all get along, truth is there is no point comparing teams in different leagues as we will never know, even if they played a practice match against each other it’s not the real thing!
Very good point. I have been to my fair share of Kyneton home games along with Gisborne, Woodend and Macedon.

Kyneton home crowds are that far ahead.
They could be down by 120 points in the last quarter and the faithful supporters will still be cheering like it’s a goal the difference in a Grand Final.
I think if you asked any side in Bendigo who has the largest crowds they would all agree it’s Kyneton, prob followed by Strathfieldsaye.
Rest assure Kyneton crowds are double the size of Macedon an Woodends even on their biggest days.
And this is coming from a Gisborne local who is meant to hate the old Calder Rivals

Are they talented or just young? I didn't see any players, that ran to the correct positions, made good decisions with ball in hand or looked like they will be genuine top class country footy players.

Remember Castlemaine has tried this, they had monfries, who was excellent for them and it made no difference, Maine need to go to the central highlands. Many people who move there, like the "north Northcote" lifestyle and don't care about footy anymore.

Agree and let’s hope for the sake of everyone in the BFL the Maine can keep their core young list and bring in some quality recruits to bridge that gap.

Have all clubs locked away their coach’s for 2022?

I've seen Gisborne play since 02, played against them and lived there for 10 years. Their side of 03 or 04 was one of the best sides ever assembled. I've seen them play practice games against Sunbury lions, rupo etc. I've also seen in that time, the trials and tribulations of Kyneton footy club, which during that time has had it fair share of ups and downs, both on and off field, as well as the improvement of the Riddell league, which was just a local low standard league, to been a strong league, when it had rupo and Sunbury Roos in there. Sad to see it looks like folding.

Just looking at Macedons 2017 premiership Cooke, marksworth, waters, Knox, Summerfield, dick, Harrison, Christianson, McConnell, would be better than kyentons best 6 this year and rupos side of 2019 was better.

I've also lived in Gippsland, Kerang, Geelong and Shepp, I've seen plenty of footy, but it's good to see the passion for Kyneton footy club on here

I've seen Gisborne play since 02, played against them and lived there for 10 years. Their side of 03 or 04 was one of the best sides ever assembled. I've seen them play practice games against Sunbury lions, rupo etc. I've also seen in that time, the trials and tribulations of Kyneton footy club, which during that time has had it fair share of ups and downs, both on and off field, as well as the improvement of the Riddell league, which was just a local low standard league, to been a strong league, when it had rupo and Sunbury Roos in there. Sad to see it looks like folding.

Just looking at Macedons 2017 premiership Cooke, marksworth, waters, Knox, Summerfield, dick, Harrison, Christianson, McConnell, would be better than kyentons best 6 this year and rupos side of 2019 was better.

I've also lived in Gippsland, Kerang, Geelong and Shepp, I've seen plenty of footy, but it's good to see the passion for Kyneton footy club on here
On paper Kyneton look to have a few handy players at the top end. Reece Magin I saw play for a while at Avondale and he was as good a local player I’ve seen. A couple I’ve been involved with at a higher level in Junior O’Sullivan and Guy Dickson would be elite at the country level, as would Jordan Mangan who was at North Melb VFL a couple of years back. And Harrison Huntley is someone we’ve talked about getting down the city, he’s an elite defender.
In any case, I don’t think you can compare a 2017 team to a current team way to much changes. Looking back at the ladder the Kyneton 2017 team were comfortably stronger than the Gisborne team that year. Some of the players you mentioned in the Macedon 17 team are definitely solid players for sure, they’d make any team at local level in any league stronger.

Played and seen a lot of footy like yourself Trent and agree with you about that Macedon side. It was a ripper. Waters for example is one of the best players I saw in the Bendigo FNL and was still playing great footy at the cats. Summerfield and Knox go pretty well too.

As for Kyneton, it’s boom or bust in recent years. Some over exuberant spending and getting a bit ahead of themselves nearly saw them completely fall over. Good to see some well credentialed and passionate Tigers supporters get involved and improve their position. Depth is always an issue but hopefully some sustained success may be ahead.

in regards to Castlemaine, one of the worst teams I have seen in any level of footy in 2021 anywhere. Hopefully they can improve but it’s a long and uncertain road ahead for them. 2022 could be a make or break year for the club considering their perilous state.

Ripping new senior coach appointment at Maryborough with Rick Andrews to take the helm in 2022. Really well credentialed and a terrific fellow too. Pleased to see the Magpies were able to secure a coach of this calibre. Well done to Brendan Roughead and the committee. Some player signings to be announced too who are Maryborough boys returning to the club so I'm reliably informed. These Magpies are in far better health than the Magpies to their East who I'm informed are in all sorts and may be not around in 2022 if things should continue on the current trajectory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ripping new senior coach appointment at Maryborough with Rick Andrews to take the helm in 2022. Really well credentialed and a terrific fellow too. Pleased to see the Magpies were able to secure a coach of this calibre. Well done to Brendan Roughead and the committee. Some player signings to be announced too who are Maryborough boys returning to the club so I'm reliably informed. These Magpies are in far better health than the Magpies to their East who I'm informed are in all sorts and may be not around in 2022 if things should continue on the current trajectory.

Great appointment at Maryborough

Former premiership player at Maryborough too.

When was the last time he coached? He did coach Sandhurst and Charlton and maybe boort in the 2000s

Former premiership player at Maryborough too.

When was the last time he coached? He did coach Sandhurst and Charlton and maybe

Has been involved at GWV Rebels for a number of years now Trent and coaching under 16 and development squads. Had a stint at Talbot in the MCDFNL a few years ago and did a really good job with significant improvement after best being described as a rabble. As stated by you, also a former Maryborough premiership player.

A really good get for the club.

I think Maryborough, rovers, royal Park, Carisbrook, dunolly, Talbot all need to sit down and work out what's best for footy in Maryborough going forward.
From afar there's only room for three teams, one major and two minor clubs. You'd think logically Talbot and dunolly merge, Carisbrook remain on their own and Maryborough, rovers and royal Park merge to become Maryborough United, maybe change to giants colours and stay in Bendigo.

The ideal person to bring the club together and get those who should be playing at the club back playing there. Good on him

I think Maryborough, rovers, royal Park, Carisbrook, dunolly, Talbot all need to sit down and work out what's best for footy in Maryborough going forward.
From afar there's only room for three teams, one major and two minor clubs. You'd think logically Talbot and dunolly merge, Carisbrook remain on their own and Maryborough, rovers and royal Park merge to become Maryborough United, maybe change to giants colours and stay in Bendigo.

same needs to happen in Castlemaine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back