News Riley Bonner departs for St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok I hurriedly checked the relevant thread and this guy is my buddy (although I did have the Homer oh no not the Denver Broncos moment when assigned).

Lay off the guy he is a footballer of the highest order kind to small animals and children and his personal hygenie is above reproach and I will willingly monkey knife fight anyone that says otherwise.

Seriously though there is a lot to like and work with here. He is a quite often when given time and some space a good distributor by foot -both feet too.

I am sure with time he will work on his consistency of defensive position, defensive decision making and application to the contest.

You go Riley. You are a star.

Amon in 2019 clearly shows the path Bonner needs to tread. We are in need of a player with his strengths on the outside, but against decent teams (and especially in finals), there'll be times when he needs to apply the pressure (and not in a Jake Neade pressure act way) or be willing to take the hit. No one expects him to become a clearance player, but like Karl has he needs to embrace the physical side of the game to become the player he can be.

I don't think he is a defender that's the problem needs to be on the wing but you can only have 2 wingmen.

I don't think he is a defender that's the problem needs to be on the wing but you can only have 2 wingmen.
A rebounding HBF, that can have bursts on the wings is fine. With his strengths he can play that role, IF he addresses his weaknesses. Otherwise as an opposition coach I'd be directing my players to play through his man.

Amon in 2019 clearly shows the path Bonner needs to tread. We are in need of a player with his strengths on the outside, but against decent teams (and especially in finals), there'll be times when he needs to apply the pressure (and not in a Jake Neade pressure act way) or be willing to take the hit. No one expects him to become a clearance player, but like Karl has he needs to embrace the physical side of the game to become the player he can be.

100% this. I've said numerous times that Bonner needs to make the same step up with his physicality that Amon did. If he does, he'll be a walk up start for us, because he's got more natural talent than Amon. But if he doesn't, within a few years he'll find himself out of the league, because some of his efforts last year were completely unacceptable.

I am waiting for this lad to0 have a breakout year, all the signs are there

Ok I hurriedly checked the relevant thread and this guy is my buddy (although I did have the Homer oh no not the Denver Broncos moment when assigned).

Lay off the guy he is a footballer of the highest order kind to small animals and children and his personal hygenie is above reproach and I will willingly monkey knife fight anyone that says otherwise.

Seriously though there is a lot to like and work with here. He is a quite often when given time and some space a good distributor by foot -both feet too.

I am sure with time he will work on his consistency of defensive position, defensive decision making and application to the contest.

You go Riley. You are a star.

That would be swell given he is named as a defender.

Defensive effort is something you shouldn't have to work on. You are an AFL defender and you just ******* make the effort.

I am waiting for this lad to0 have a breakout year, all the signs are there

I hope you are patient. From the signs I see, we will be waiting six years for his breakout year as a defender as per Jasper Pittard.

He has had games, more than he should have on form. Too many of his defensive efforts are unacceptable and he doesn't look to be improving in this area. His natural attributes don't shine because his decision making is often poor. You don't have to go for a run if you can kick the ball fifty metres of both feet. This might be Hinkley's fault encouraging him to take the game on at all costs, even if the first option may well be the best one. If Hinkley wasn't the patron saint of running half-backs he would not have got a three-year deal.

This is not to say I don't think he can make it as a defender, but he needs to smarten up very quickly in some basic areas.

Last edited:
I see morale sapping turnovers in big games that's what I see in him.

Bonner is the anti-Neade

So typically Hinley-ish that we will continue to pick "attacking" defenders who struggle with being accountable in actual defence (but are attacking in that they take the game on aka turnover merchants)

On the other hand we'll persist with forwards based on their defensive pressure ignoring the fact they barely bother the scoreboard.

I'm not saying I don't want rebounding defenders, I just wish defenders would be selected for defending and forwards selected for their scoring.

we need a guy like him but i dont think its him, he's had a pretty good go at it and i still see the same mistakes and panic in the back line. I think Watts can cover the ground just as good as him, is most probably a better actual defender and his disposal is much better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Garner better than "fine", or does he have the potential to quickly become better than "fine" with game time?

That seems the most relevant question.

Different players, room for both in the team

Duursma in the centre square with Bonner on the wing and Garner either rotating through the mids (my preference) or at HBF, either way he should be in the side.

Garner takes a good grab, is calm under pressure and hits targets, I don't know what the coaches have an issue with, time will tell.
Just hope he doesn't become the next Tom Harley somewhere else.

In best 22? Or the squad?

Agree with you completely on them both fitting in to the squad, but struggle to see how you can slot them both in to round 1 best 22, without using Riley/Burton/DBJ as a 2nd IC expected to cover the wing. Assuming 6 defenders and 1 IC:

Watts (or another tall), Jonas, Clurey, DBJ, Burton, Hammer take 6 spots. That's one left over.

Are you leaving one of the above out?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, Bonner is a sub 50 gamer who last season had four excellent games against Saints, Eagles, Adelaide and GWS, about 5 poor games (Lions, Roos, Dogs, Dockers, Pies) and the rest fairly average. I feel like its to be expected for a player still developing and he has huge upside. The flack he's being given is far more deserving to our older players who have been as inconsistent, despite playing 100+ more games than him.
Also, Hinkley.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, Bonner is a sub 50 gamer who last season had four excellent games against Saints, Eagles, Adelaide and GWS, about 5 poor games (Lions, Roos, Dogs, Dockers, Pies) and the rest fairly average. I feel like its to be expected for a player still developing and he has huge upside. The flack he's being given is far more deserving to our older players who have been as inconsistent, despite playing 100+ more games than him.
Also, Hinkley.
Bonner was really good yesterday, he got caught a couple of time with the ball, but lets be fair they were in very tight positions, and the tackling of both sides was really hot. A lot of players got caught with the ball in similar & less tight positions, including Boak & Dix. Bonner was just two-way running all game, and put a lot of pressure on his opponent unseen on the match video.

He was OK. On yesterdays performance I dont see any need to drop him. He has some weapons there, on that performance deserves his spot, and will keep improving, IMO.

Bonner was really good yesterday, he got caught a couple of time with the ball, but lets be fair they were in very tight positions, and the tackling of both sides was really hot. A lot of players got caught with the ball in similar & less tight positions, including Boak & Dix. Bonner was just two-way running all game, and put a lot of pressure on his opponent unseen on the match video.

He was OK. On yesterdays performance I dont see any need to drop him. He has some weapons there, on that performance deserves his spot, and will keep improving, IMO.
Bonner was 1 of 26. Play Ollie Lycett and Gray and he becomes 1 of 29.

IMO he will always be a marginal player until he becomes a better defender, unless he plays on the wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back