SEASON 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m hearing that the club that places it’s “strong family values” at the head of its club charter had their president reported yesterday for umpire abuse.

Supporters won’t travel, Unders won’t travel, we’ll be lucky to get 2’s who’ll travel that far for naught. We would have no rivalry games, we will keep AFLSE in court if they try to force sefnl clubs into our comp, just some of the reasons and plan put forward down Peninsula way by one big fish of a club.

No one prepared to give or take for the sake of “betterment” of local footy and will always be the case.

I’d keep an an eye on the Peninsula. Many southern clubs didn’t even want their two divisions, let alone three divisions incl SEFL.

They are trying it but I think it was fairly reluctant, nothing is set in stone forever. Your Sorrentos and Dromanas are now travelling to Bonbeach and Edithvale, they’d be no more pleased about that than they would be travelling to SEFL clubs.

They’d be capable of breaking away and forming their own league, perhaps the northern clubs and the old SEFL clubs will then have some solutions.

Mornington Peninsula FL - 11 clubs

Sorrento
Rye
Rosebud
Dromana
Red Hill
Crib Point
Hastings
Tyabb
Somerville
Mornington
Mount Eliza

South Eastern FL - 18 clubs plus Berwick Springs, two divisions

Edi - Aspy
Chelsea
Bonbeach
Seaford
Pines
Karingal
YCW
Frankston Bombers
Pearcedale
Langwarrin
Devon Meadows
Cranbourne
Pakenham
Officer
Beaconsfield
Berwick
Narre Warren
Doveton

Other possibles include

Mordialloc
Chelsea Heights
Carrum-PL
Skye
Lyndhurst
Keysborough
Doveton Eagles
Hallam
Endeavour Hills
Hampton Park
Frankston Dolphins (SFL)

crib point wouldn’t survive playing in that division. Doveton pakenham and officer seem happy now. SFL div 4 is terrible footy every club in it is there for a reason

crib point wouldn’t survive playing in that division. Doveton pakenham and officer seem happy now. SFL div 4 is terrible footy every club in it is there for a reason
No, but Sorrento love easy kills, yes those 3 teams are content and happy to get wins and be competitive.
Bunk Moreland, nice post, like it, you may very well be close to money on how some “higher” placed admins view it, maybe Mounties and Pearcedale could swap. Pearcedale are horrible, would not beat Crib Point. Adding in a few of the SFL Clubs is on agenda with mooted boundary changes I believe, AFLSE have already flagged it. Even leaving Dove, Officer and Pakky clubs in AFLOE, would be preferable for them.
Mortlock Watcher, AFLVIC will have to run the Agenda on this in collaboration with the 3 other regions of footy.

Bunk Moreland, if your suggestion works out, SFL would not be greatly affected, AFLOE would become what the Mountain boys want, a great comp north of Mornington, and average one south of Mornington with clubs happy to flog and others happy to be flogged!

Bunk Moreland, if your suggestion works out, SFL would not be greatly affected, AFLOE would become what the Mountain boys want, a great comp north of Mornington, and average one south of Mornington with clubs happy to flog and others happy to be flogged!

It comes down to what they all want. I’m fairly confident Peninsula clubs south of Frankston (and maybe even the Bombers and YCW too, I’m not sure) want their own Peninsula league and always did.

If it works for them then good luck to them, there’s enough of them to make it work.

Personally I would rather see everybody else - MPNFL north of Frankston, old SEFL and SFL in one league. It’d probably be five divisions and similar to the EFL and the NFL but for the south. They are two super-strong leagues and I think you have to ask why they work so well, and apply that to the south.

I personally think it’s the more clubs the better as then all clubs can find their level more appropriately. It can be worth an extra 10 or 15 mins travel sometimes to see all clubs getting the most competitive game of football possible.

The EFL spreads from the upper north-east along the Yarra to Noble Park, from Balwyn and Surrey Hills out to the mountains and now beyond, its not a huge problem and it’s still, constantly, attracting new clubs - because they know the number of clubs means they’re more likely to be competitive in the right division.

It’s really already happening anyway, if Frankston Dolphins can play South Yarra, i’m not sure what the issues are.

Melbourne has changed greatly and perhaps nowhere more than the south east. Footy leagues set up in the days of horse and buggy are fine but there’s probably a better way with the improvement in transport links.

Failing all that, perhaps an inner south SFL and then a greater south east league like I mentioned above could work.

Anyway that’s enough of a rant, just much prefer the idea of competitive footy and clubs being allowed to find their level - whether that’s among very high achievers, or more community-focussed clubs that are very important too and don’t need to be on the end of 12 goal losses every week. Ten of them in a greater single southern league bottom division would be good to see. As would the best of the MPNFL against the best couple of SFL clubs and the giants of the outer south-east. And everybody in between.

Last edited:
There's a new strategic plan for Gippsland, which will examine and make recommendations on what competition structures of football and netball should look like in 2025 and beyond.

By sports editor Russell Bennett

The West Gippsland Football Netball Competition is expected to remain as is for 2020, but there has been a huge development when it comes to the long-term future of footy throughout the region.
Late last month, AFL Gippsland met with representatives of the 12 current West Gippsland clubs, who made it clear they were not open to accepting new clubs into the competition for 2020.
Soon after, AFL Gippsland received a letter co-signed by all the WGFNC club presidents that reinforced their collective position.
Come August 1, clubs can seek a transfer under Rule 3.0 of the AFL Victoria Community Handbook and each application will be considered by leagues and commissions on a case-by-case basis, but it is not predicted that there’ll be any change to the WGFNC.
Its clubs have made it clear that they want a period of stability in what is still a relatively new competition.
But in a fascinating development, a strategic plan for the Gippsland region – with the AFL’s and AFL Victoria’s backing – was announced earlier today.
The Gippsland 2025 Strategic Plan – or ‘G25’ as it will be known – has been driven by AFL Victoria and is backed by the sport’s governing body.
According to correspondence sent to the Gazette, the plan has been created “with a view to looking beyond regional commission boundaries and service as a vision piece for Gippsland and bordering commissions”.
In a statement, the Head of AFL Victoria Rick Bell said the development and implementation of G25 would be a major boost for football in the region.
Crucially, the project will be undertaken by an independent group and will involve consultation with all stakeholder leagues and clubs.
“G25 will examine competition structures to ensure they can cater for future population patterns in Gippsland and surrounding areas, encourage competition equalisation and consider geographic and economic factors currently restricting and burdening some country football clubs and leagues,” Bell said.
“In addition to short-term solutions, the plan will take a long-term view of the structure of football in the entire Gippsland region and surrounding areas to providing a framework up to 2025 and beyond.”
AFL Gippsland region general manager Ben Joske welcomed the announcement.
“The current challenges facing the AFNL (Alberton) and its member clubs has highlighted the need for a fresh approach to addressing development and growth of football and club-based netball in our region,” Joske said.
“G25 represents a substantial commitment from our sport’s governing bodies and is a positive step for the long-term prospects of the game in Gippsland.”
Initial G25 recommendations will be released by the end of June 2020, in preparation for the 2021 season.

Hmmm, a bit longer than i thought, but the quote "änd bordering commissions" backs up what i have stated previously, don't be surprised if there is a SEMP25 put out as being on the agenda in the near future!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are AFLOE looking at actively bringing in Hampton Park?
They left the SEFNL on their knees searching for divisional football as they were getting slaughtered by the Narre's & Berwick's.
The Southern League only has 6 teams in their division so it hasn't been so rosy playing in a stale league like that this year & not having netball.

They could be the perfect addition into Div 1 and reignite some rivalries with Dovey, Pakenham & Officer as well as reinstating it's netball on the same day.

The risk of coming up against the big guns again if they ended up in Premier would probably ensure that they stay put in the Southern.

I can't see them being stronger than say a Pakenham in Div 1 so i don't think it's a given they would be straight into Premier.
Probably more so the equivalent of Doveton & Officer currently.

1 traditional Valley ground gets a “premier” division final. Another ripping AFL Outer Used Car Sales decision.

Previous administration had used Yea and Alex to try and be more inclusive of all clubs. Subsequent pressure from finalists in next seasons abandoned trips north as nobody wanted to travel that far. Was just an experiment that was tried with lessons learned.

Previous administration had used Yea and Alex to try and be more inclusive of all clubs. Subsequent pressure from finalists in next seasons abandoned trips north as nobody wanted to travel that far. Was just an experiment that was tried with lessons learned.

There was talk of Yea/Alex hosting Div 2 finals this year (coming from an in the know club official)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back