2012 starts now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting reading on the back page of the Mail Times today. Broadbent has spoken his mind publically before on issues facing country footy and the Wimmera league. This time some will see his opinion as a grumpy coach whos team has just been thrashed by the powerful empire. I wonder when he made these comments, was it straight after the game? Was he letting off steam? I'm not sure whether the Horsham Saints faithful would share his views or any of the other clubs for that matter.

I agree having a team win 9 (probably 10+) flags in a row is hurting the league. I don't agree that having Horsham play in another league is the answer though. With the help of the VCFL and the WFL Commision the rest of the Wimmera clubs have to get stronger to compete. I dont mean help financially, but an even playing field when it comes to Home ground arrangements would be good. Junior football needs to be even, each club should have a quota of players, the only way clubs could accept juniors into their club above that quota would be that they would have to meet cetain criteria. The criteria would be locality, this criteria would only apply to clubs that are isolated with no other junior footy. So teams in Horsham, Ararat could not go above the quota based on locality. The other criteria would be family, limited to a sibling playing or a parent playing or previously played 50 games of netball or football with the club. Just an Idea it would need some fine tuning.

There is a lot to learn from Horshams success. Their professionalism is 2nd to none, they play how they train. Their pre season training is the toughest in this area, Tuesday nights are hard, tough and competitive for up to 2 hours. In the pre season I've heard of players dry reaching and gasping for air. The rest of the top five Wimmera League clubs can compete with Horsham in the first quater or first half, but in the end Horsham just grind them into the ground because of their fitness.

the Only side that can compete is Warrack they are the only side so far this year to only lose by 19 pts considering Horsham got pushed from start to Finish by Warrack in Last years Grand final to only lose by 2 goals which is a really good effort way Warracks going they will be right up their comes finals time .

And I will assure you that they will be careful not to over qualify them for U/17 finals. My point exactly. Its all pointed towards U/17 flag. Why do they not play them in seniors for the whole year if they are good enough?

Over qualify?? You only need to play 3 games of under 17s to qualify, regardless of how many senior games you play. Luke Todd and Jake Robinson have only played seniors this year, and I know Turner he will continue to pick the best senior side, regardless of age.

Pull your head in Slenko, I think everyone on this forum is sick of hearing about you go on about Horshams Junior Poaching Program...

Over qualify?? You only need to play 3 games of under 17s to qualify, regardless of how many senior games you play. Luke Todd and Jake Robinson have only played seniors this year, and I know Turner he will continue to pick the best senior side, regardless of age.

Pull your head in Slenko, I think everyone on this forum is sick of hearing about you go on about Horshams Junior Poaching Program...

I am of the belief that once a kid plays more than 8 senior games they are then over qualified to play junior finals. I may be wrong.

Slakka never be so brittle as to claim you speak for everyone, you are entitled to your opinion and I have no problem with that. But when people claim they are speaking for everyone, they just weaken their own arguement as well as themselves.

I would also say if Turner is doing as you say, good on him. It does not erase what has happended in the passed though.

I am of the belief that once a kid plays more than 8 senior games they are then over qualified to play junior finals. I may be wrong.

Slakka never be so brittle as to claim you speak for everyone, you are entitled to your opinion and I have no problem with that. But when people claim they are speaking for everyone, they just weaken their own arguement as well as themselves.

I would also say if Turner is doing as you say, good on him. It does not erase what has happended in the passed though.

You are wrong Slenko...players eligible to play 17's can play as many games in Senior grades, but must play 3 games in the 17's to qualify in that team. Technically they cannot over qualify.

I have sat back and read for a long time now other peoples opinions (which is fine because everybody is allowed to have an opinion) and we need to be tolerant of others opinions as it is their own personal view, but I can no longer sit back and say nothing about the issues out and about reagrding Horsham Football and Netball Club. I am a very proud and passionate member of the HFNC and to sit back and listen to people slag off at Horsham is very difficult at time, but as I said above everybody is entitled to their opinions and I respect that right, but we need to have informed opinions not emotional ones. The enourmous amount of work our members, parents, volunteers and players put into the sucess of our club is amazing and one of the core reason we are so successful. Quoted in the paper today 'Loyalty is dead in Wimmera Leaugue' is so wrong at our club, if anything it is alive and well, hence the success. If their was to be a photo on the back page of all the current players playing at our club and their parents who have played in previous years, it would be a very large photo indeed (footballers and netballers) Patterson, Heard, Duncan, Parish, Mentha, Merlo, Bathelor, Landwehr, Dumesny, Lloyd, Farr, O'Connor and thats just the ones that spring to mind. We need to look at why other clubs cannot breed that loyalty. I agree success plays a huge part in that, but it had to start somewhere. Jeff Both created the model and it started with the slogan 'Vision to Reality'. His main key to making Horsham back into the successful club it once was getting people back to our club, past players and members to make people part of the club again. It worked, but people have short memories, Horsham was languising at the bottom of the ladder.
People only really remember who won the Grand Final, not what happened during the year. The last few years we have only one the GF by a small margin, if the result had gone the other way, none of these discussions would have ever taken place and would they have taken place if it was another club that was enjoying our success. I think not. Years ago Horsham were winning games by over 200 points during the year and dominaating, but lost the Grand Final to Dimboola, people only remember that day in September.
We have juniors each week going out and playing in the District League each week as we have too many players in our 17's and playing at clubs that are enjoying success at that level, but yet they are happy to go out when it is their turn and play again at Horsham the next week and not seek clearances to stay at the other club.
The suggestion of Horsham going to the Ballarat League is logistically impossible not to mention not an option at all in my opninon.
The suggestion of the Wimmera League putting a side in a higher league, do they realise how much money / work it takes to run a club with a loyal band of volunteers and who would administer this team / club. The Wimmera League apparently has no excess money, there has been no dividends to clubs for years. Wouldn't this also weaken out league by taking the best players from WFL??
Does the VCFL check out the most successful leagues and pull them apart to make it fairer for everybody?
Anyway for what it's worth, that's my opinion. But it would be nice for a positive story about our club rather than all the criticism.

What benefit to the wfl, would there be in taking the best Wimmera blokes, and putting them in either bfl?

None that I can see.

Points system on the other hand, may work

Very quiet on here since too hard had their say, maybe made a few of the constant whingers on here have a long hard think. Well said and congrats i think John Smith needs look at all those names mentioned before claiming loyalty is 'dead' in the Wimmera league.

Good luck for rest of year everyone, lets hope its a ripping September!

I have sat back and read for a long time now other peoples opinions (which is fine because everybody is allowed to have an opinion) and we need to be tolerant of others opinions as it is their own personal view, but I can no longer sit back and say nothing about the issues out and about reagrding Horsham Football and Netball Club. I am a very proud and passionate member of the HFNC and to sit back and listen to people slag off at Horsham is very difficult at time, but as I said above everybody is entitled to their opinions and I respect that right, but we need to have informed opinions not emotional ones. The enourmous amount of work our members, parents, volunteers and players put into the sucess of our club is amazing and one of the core reason we are so successful. Quoted in the paper today 'Loyalty is dead in Wimmera Leaugue' is so wrong at our club, if anything it is alive and well, hence the success. If their was to be a photo on the back page of all the current players playing at our club and their parents who have played in previous years, it would be a very large photo indeed (footballers and netballers) Patterson, Heard, Duncan, Parish, Mentha, Merlo, Bathelor, Landwehr, Dumesny, Lloyd, Farr, O'Connor and thats just the ones that spring to mind. We need to look at why other clubs cannot breed that loyalty. I agree success plays a huge part in that, but it had to start somewhere. Jeff Both created the model and it started with the slogan 'Vision to Reality'. His main key to making Horsham back into the successful club it once was getting people back to our club, past players and members to make people part of the club again. It worked, but people have short memories, Horsham was languising at the bottom of the ladder.
People only really remember who won the Grand Final, not what happened during the year. The last few years we have only one the GF by a small margin, if the result had gone the other way, none of these discussions would have ever taken place and would they have taken place if it was another club that was enjoying our success. I think not. Years ago Horsham were winning games by over 200 points during the year and dominaating, but lost the Grand Final to Dimboola, people only remember that day in September.
We have juniors each week going out and playing in the District League each week as we have too many players in our 17's and playing at clubs that are enjoying success at that level, but yet they are happy to go out when it is their turn and play again at Horsham the next week and not seek clearances to stay at the other club.
The suggestion of Horsham going to the Ballarat League is logistically impossible not to mention not an option at all in my opninon.
The suggestion of the Wimmera League putting a side in a higher league, do they realise how much money / work it takes to run a club with a loyal band of volunteers and who would administer this team / club. The Wimmera League apparently has no excess money, there has been no dividends to clubs for years. Wouldn't this also weaken out league by taking the best players from WFL??
Does the VCFL check out the most successful leagues and pull them apart to make it fairer for everybody?
Anyway for what it's worth, that's my opinion. But it would be nice for a positive story about our club rather than all the criticism.

I agree with most of what you have said. As I have said many times it’s been the Horsham’s player’s hard work that has been a key to their success. As I have also said, many of the best players of the last ten years at Horsham also had fathers play for the club or have other close links.

Unfortunately for you, you have chosen to engage in a forum where many of your peers have chosen to belittle other clubs and the people who run them. Nobody likes an arrogant winner and the behaviour of many here has been appalling.

The fact that many of us have rebutted the poisonous narrative should be no surprise to you. Calling it whinging is a little silly and again the constant whining about league officials is stupid.

The league has due process...people are nominated and elected. The board can change the Chief Commissioner if they see fit. The clubs can dissolve the commission any time they like. This constant stuff from Horsham about the commissioners being puppets etc is just childish and offensive to those on the commission.

If you want to point out the good people at Horsham that’s fine but why not leave the other nonsense out of it?

Very quiet on here since too hard had their say, maybe made a few of the constant whingers on here have a long hard think. Well said and congrats i think John Smith needs look at all those names mentioned before claiming loyalty is 'dead' in the Wimmera league.

Good luck for rest of year everyone, lets hope its a ripping September!

What is your problem with John Smith? There isn’t as much loyalty in footy anymore. Why do you and your club continually run down John and the commission?

I would certainly be concerned with John Smith comments "commission was exploring ideas, such as entering a Wimmera team in the Ballarat league".

We struggle at interleague level now so lets get rid of our best 25 players and reduce the clubs to 8. Probably gives an insight to the way this dictator thinks.

What hope has WFL got with him and his merry band of puppets?

Referring to someone as a dictator who has been dually elected is childish. If you serious about this constant attack let’s see you name the commissioners who you say are ‘puppets’.

Fancy, Lets put some facts straight. in regard WFL Constitution.
Rule 13.1 of the WFL constitution states no more than 8 commissioners from the WFL. A further 4 can be appointed from the WNA. How many commissioners are there currently from the WFL? Have a read of the WFL footballer, you may discover some home truths.

Rule 13.7 The Commissioners shall not be paid out of funds of the WFL. Why are there two commissioners who also double as umpires paid from WFL funds. Snouts in the troughs?

When highly credentialed people like Wes Richardson & Bill Phelan resign from Commission mid term, something stinks. There is no more highly respected Commissioners left than those two that have resigned.
From posts I have read of yours you make cheap shots at volunteers from Horsham Footy Club but then criticise people who question league officials whom fail to comply with the rules that govern their conduct. Regardless of their integrity if they sit in silence of a non compliance to the constitution they are as bad as the powers who perpetrate that non compliance.
Those rules are enshrined for a reason, to ensure people do not put their snouts in the trough. The fact that two current WFL Commissioners are also employees of the WFL is a disgrace and outlawed by the constitution.
I have re-read the original post you replied to and see no corrolation to the Horsham Footy Club. No criticism of the umpiring fraternity that you bring to account.
I would encourage you to bring some evidence to the table or piss off back to the rock you crawled out from under.

Bringing the good names of Wes and Bill into your campaign is an utter disgrace. How dare you assume to be able to speak on their behalf.

Too hard

Back in 1995 when the resurrection of the Horsham Demons started, one thing that was never on the agenda was how do we weaken every other club back to our level.

The agenda was how do we improve our club. Our motto was to start with people who had once loved the club and entice those back again. Everything that was planned was in the clubs control.

By enticing those people back we could increase our revenue streams, sell ourselves to sponsors and to potential players.

Today as a community we too often blame someone else for what we do not have, cause we are too lazy to get off our arse and earn it ourselves. It appears easier to have it given to us than to work hard to achieve it.

Whilst some things are given to us you lose the appreciation for what you have obtained and is too easily lost. HFNC still remember those dark days, they remember how hard people had to work to get back to the top and therefore cherish every success that comes their way.

The club has also thrived on promoting their kids into taking on responsibilities. One junior at a WFL club last year expressed his desires to play senior footy this year but was promptly told the clubs flags chances rested with their U17's and for that senior football was off the agenda.

He subsequently left that club and went to Horsham where he has played seniors.

In that lies the differences between clubs. The adventurous and the bold will succeed the meek and the whingers to their own.

Too hard

Back in 1995 when the resurrection of the Horsham Demons started, one thing that was never on the agenda was how do we weaken every other club back to our level.

The agenda was how do we improve our club. Our motto was to start with people who had once loved the club and entice those back again. Everything that was planned was in the clubs control.

By enticing those people back we could increase our revenue streams, sell ourselves to sponsors and to potential players.

Today as a community we too often blame someone else for what we do not have, cause we are too lazy to get off our arse and earn it ourselves. It appears easier to have it given to us than to work hard to achieve it.

Whilst some things are given to us you lose the appreciation for what you have obtained and is too easily lost. HFNC still remember those dark days, they remember how hard people had to work to get back to the top and therefore cherish every success that comes their way.

The club has also thrived on promoting their kids into taking on responsibilities. One junior at a WFL club last year expressed his desires to play senior footy this year but was promptly told the clubs flags chances rested with their U17's and for that senior football was off the agenda.

He subsequently left that club and went to Horsham where he has played seniors.

In that lies the differences between clubs. The adventurous and the bold will succeed the meek and the whingers to their own.

The facts don’t play out there though do they.

Look through all the posts from the Horsham gang over the last few months on this forum. Count how of them are whinging about the commission etc etc, sometimes to the point of slander.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with most of what you have said. As I have said many times it’s been the Horsham’s player’s hard work that has been a key to their success. As I have also said, many of the best players of the last ten years at Horsham also had fathers play for the club or have other close links.

Unfortunately for you, you have chosen to engage in a forum where many of your peers have chosen to belittle other clubs and the people who run them. Nobody likes an arrogant winner and the behaviour of many here has been appalling.

The fact that many of us have rebutted the poisonous narrative should be no surprise to you. Calling it whinging is a little silly and again the constant whining about league officials is stupid.

The league has due process...people are nominated and elected. The board can change the Chief Commissioner if they see fit. The clubs can dissolve the commission any time they like. This constant stuff from Horsham about the commissioners being puppets etc is just childish and offensive to those on the commission.

If you want to point out the good people at Horsham that’s fine but why not leave the other nonsense out of it?

Whilst I am a newbie to this forum, I have endeavored to read many previous posts

You would have to be the biggest peanut who's words I have ever read.

If anyone is guilty of poisonous narrative it would be you. You have made more accusations of Horsham officials than the rest on this forum put together about all clubs. From bribing kids to political influence and favors.

One thing you have to accept in footy, what supporters have to say about their club and about other clubs does not reflect back on that clubs officials.

Every supporter is entitled to their view point. You seem to take umbrage at Horsham Officials based on a supporters opinion.

Nobody likes an arrogant peanut, grow up or piss off!! Go back and read your own posts and see what you think of yourself then!

Whilst I am a newbie to this forum, I have endeavored to read many previous posts

You would have to be the biggest peanut who's words I have ever read.

If anyone is guilty of poisonous narrative it would be you. You have made more accusations of Horsham officials than the rest on this forum put together about all clubs. From bribing kids to political influence and favors.

One thing you have to accept in footy, what supporters have to say about their club and about other clubs does not reflect back on that clubs officials.

Every supporter is entitled to their view point. You seem to take umbrage at Horsham Officials based on a supporters opinion.

Nobody likes an arrogant peanut, grow up or piss off!! Go back and read your own posts and see what you think of yourself then!

There are just too many silly things there to respond to. Bribing kids......what rot!!!!

I have a great many friends at the Demons....all great people.

It’s such a terrible shame for our hard working players at Horsham that you and the gang can never bring themselves to discuss the great skills of the players. Why is it that on a football forum you never speak of the marks, the kicks the handballs? With all your talk about John Smith and the Commissioners all you achieve is taking the attention away from a great football team and a very hardworking club. Why not enjoy the wins and stop trying to rip everyone else apart?

What is your problem with John Smith? There isn’t as much loyalty in footy anymore. Why do you and your club continually run down John and the commission?

Firstly mate not sure why you say 'your club' considering i actually have no ties to Horsham, actually just follow the WFL league with interest and get along to a HDFL game here and there...

Seems to me all those names spoken shows pretty strong loyalty and a lot more clubs might invest in having thier club champions kids play for some loyalty instead of the $$$

As for a problem with John Smith i have no problem so ease up when accusing people mate, although i will say this.. why does all this talk only occur when a senior coach makes a comment? who's leading the agenda around here?

Just play the game and get on with it!

In reply to Too Hard,

Most country clubs have a large number of second (and third) generation players, Horsham is not unique in this aspect. And a lot of the previous generation Horsham players that you have mentioned actually played a lot of footy at other clubs during their careers, some for $$$. Maybe after Horsham gets its ten in a row some of the current Horsham players could be enticed to other clubs for $$$ which would even the comp up!

What is the point of your last post 'toohard' ? Surely 'Fancy' gets enough screen time on here without you simply quoting her without reply. She would be loving all this recent banter about Horsham.

Are Warracknabeal any chance of beating Horsham this weekend and therefore causing one of the biggest upsets of all time? Would love to see that.

What is the point of your last post 'toohard' ? Surely 'Fancy' gets enough screen time on here without you simply quoting her without reply. She would be loving all this recent banter about Horsham.

Are Warracknabeal any chance of beating Horsham this weekend and therefore causing one of the biggest upsets of all time? Would love to see that.

No chance. I'm tipping Brimackabeal won't even make the grand final this year.

Well if this is the case 'club loyalty' is not dead.

Not quite sure why it is unfortunate for me to engage in this forum, just because others say things that you believe to be belittling other clubs does not necessarily mean I support them. That would be like saying that everybody from Saints agrees with Broadbents statement, which by the way I know not to be true as I have spoken to many a Saints supporter. Don't tar everybody with the same brush. People are individuals with individual opinions and should be treated as such.

I don't actually recall using the words whinging and I don't recall whining about League Officials at all. Perception is a funny thing.

Not sure what this is in reply to?

What other nonsense are you talking about?

Computer glitch or operator error!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back