The Official Bay 13 Richmond Information Kiosk

Remove this Banner Ad

Besides, Garry Lyon wasn't the one to sack Bailey.

Perhaps, but I'd be inclined to assume he at least approved the decision.

"Sorry Deano, the board says you're outta here. 186 is just ridiculous!"

promo131340559

Anti-Richmond Hero No 38. Buddy Power.

Look, there are no surprises here. We all know the story.

franklin_300.jpg

During the 2008 Grand Final, someone in the Hawthorn Cheer Squad held up a banner: 'Ten More Year of Buddy'. Hubris aside (I am always conscious of what happened to the Ox), it hit me like a dum dum bullet. I don't know how any Richmond supporter could look upon such a banner with magnanimity. No wonder the poor devils are collectively as mad as a cut snake.

I have seen a lot of football since 1971. I remember a game in 2008 when Buddy grabbed the ball in the backline and strode through the centre of the ground like Hercules - all the other players on the ground (HFC included) were mere mortals in comparison. It took my breath away - I had never seen such a perfect union of athleticism and will to power. My old man, who barracks for the Dogs and was there inside the boundary line in '54, recently asked me to take him to a Hawthorn match at the 'G just so he could see Buddy in person.

Oh yes, he could so easily have been in a black and yellow jumper. One has to laugh at the poor old Richmond supporters. They can talk up Deledio all they like - he's nothing more than a Joel Bowden update at best. What is a mere loss by 186 points compared with forfeiting the services of Buddy for a decade? And by virtue of Greg Miller's incompetence, the Tigers have bankrolled Hawthorn's fifty year run of luck by another decade at least.

Well done Richmond - you tools. Even Freo looks askance upon it - the worst decision ever made, recruitment-wise.

Buddy, every time you go the pump after a goal you are driving a stake through the heart of the crazed Tigers supporters.

Buddy Power indeed. An Anti-Richmond Hero.

Biff, #38 resonates a note to me also. Like winning a jackpot the Hawks getting both he and Roughead thanks to some inept recruiting by the Tigers in '04. I have no doubt without Buddy, the Hawks would not have won the flag in 2008, as they would not be the imposing side they are without him.

I can only lament Geelong's profligate 17.21.123 to the Hawks 9.4.58 in RD 22, 2004 and wish Geelong kicked say 22.16 instead. The mere 1% Hawthorn avoided the spoon by would have changed everything. Who would the Hawks have picked with the #1 pick? Could they have overlooked Deledio since it was he that the media and all the pundits had anointed as the #1 pick. ? Not sure Hawthorn would have speculated on Roughead at #1, the Tigers may well have at least got one of the big guys.

Do you think maybe the Dogs might have added to their lonely 1954 pennant by now with Franklin at the club rather than Griffen?

Given their desperation to get a 33 y/o Barry Hall into their side as the absence of a tall forward (Franklin?) had stymied their deep pushes into the finals in '08 and '09 i would have to say yes.

Mind you, the Dogs has Pods playing under their noses at Werribee for many years in the mid 00's and didn't really deign to try him out in any serious way.

Bumping the thread for Dees fans to have some fun while the snow is starting to melt.;)

The melting of snow increases the flow of our creeks and rivers.
Bulging river systems help water our fields.
Flourishing fields fill up our cattle.
An increase in cattle leads to an increase in manure.
Bumper stocks of manure activate the juices at Punt Rd.
Lively supporters produce fresh offspring.
And new young deliver a protein rich foods source for those parental Tiger fans come half time of Round 1 next year.

As you see, Comrade Biff is reasonably forward thinking in his approach for the greater good and our entertaining needs. Not quite five years in far-sighted planning...

Bumping the thread for Dees fans to have some fun while the snow is starting to melt.;)

Just heard one of your tribe on sen melting down himself, rambling on about Miller. One of a kind the tigers are.

Just heard one of your tribe on sen melting down himself, rambling on about Miller. One of a kind the tigers are.

Mario throw one of his kids in this time instead of his membership?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anti-Richmond Hero No. 38 - Showboat Billy Miller

Greg-Miller-5577214.jpg

In 2002, a Mississippi-style paddle-steamer made its way up the Yarra and a huckster jumped out to join the administration of the Richmond Football Club. His name was Showboat Billy Miller. His claim to fame is that he had aced a deal with Sydney by which Carey and Longmire had been thoughtlessly transferred to Norf by the Swans without due diligence. It was a triumph for Showboat Billy – and he dined out on it thereafter. Yes, in that one deal, he had taken two talls – but come the 2004 National Draft, he failed to replicate the same approach . . . . . .

At the time of his arrival, Richmond was lower than shark-shit with no money, no players and a coach who was spud by name and by nature. Showboat Billy promised the world – and how the cretins listened. Above all, he offered to assist with his expertise in recruitment. And who can forget his crop: Hughes, Polo, Polak, Pattison, Myer, Tambling, JON and a bevy of lesser luminaries (insofar as this category is possible). Miller also ascended to the Richmond Board to add ‘great rigor’ to their deliberations.

Here is a characteristic report from 2007:

With the Tigers languishing at the bottom of the ladder, the blowtorch has been focused on their recruiting and decision to overlook key position players including Hawthorn's Lance Franklin. Dominant Northern Knights ruckman Matthew Kreuzer is expected to be the draft's first selection, but if Carlton does not win another game it will receive a priority pick.
While rivals are building key-position stocks, Miller said the Tigers were also on the right track with their list management.
"People have talked about us being too short and too small. A lot of that is media talk and people thinking they know what we need. We have got our own opinion about what we need," he said.
"We would like to have more depth in the midfield. We probably need some more tall backs, but we think we have got quite a lot of tall forwards at the moment with Cleve Hughes, Jack Riewoldt, Jay Schulz and those guys.
"We certainly will be looking to improve our list as all clubs do, but to say we have targeted a tall defender is not quite right. We are looking for the best players to add to our list."

In 2008, the bright lights at Richmond realised that a shyster was in their midst: there was an abyss between rhetoric and accomplishment. Showboat Billy sought to add Rex Hunt, of all people, to the board to divert attention away from his own dismal record. Characteristically, he failed to check whether Hunt was eligible to stand for the Board per se (Baldy, for all his professed love of the club, was not even a member of the Tigers). With gusto, Showboat Billy was removed from the Board so that he could ‘concentrate on football matters’. Soon afterwards, a Night of the Long Knives ensued. Even the Witch-Queen of Punt Road, Caro, turned viperously on her former hero. With his arse on fire, Miller bolted down to his sybaritic weekender. Since then, the rest is silence.

Showboat Billy Miller, well remunerated as he was, has yet to utter one word of regret for single-handedly kneecapping the Tigers for the better part of a decade. Indeed, he is far more culpable than Wallace.

Showboat Billy Miller, you are arguably the most potent Anti-Richmond Hero of all time. We salute you.

Anti-Richmond Hero Number 40: The truck load of manure – Lone Wolf Mario.

richmond-shit1.jpg

In most circumstances manure is looked down upon as some sort of unspeakable filth, something to be wiped from the bottom of your shoe an evil amongst us. To work with manure in all its forms, one is considered to have reached the lowest form of humanity.

Many assume this lowly product has no other redeemable quality than to be used as fertilizer, but manure’s usefulness belies this inaccurate reputation. This seemingly loathsome product has many redeemable qualities, none more so than its magnus opus on a cold winters day in 2001.

In a crazed fury a self loathing Richmond supporter (who we will call Mario for ostensive purposes) – following another capitulation on the weekend, decided to take matters into his own hand. Atop his chariot of iron & faecal matter Mario approached manfully toward the headquarters know as ‘The axis of insipidness’ & delivered what could only be called:

‘The quintessential characterisation of the heart & soul of Richmond – Crap!.’

Not a word spoken, no comment required. The manure, in all it’s semi decomposed glory, spoke volumes of the club it lay before.

But the manure would attest further. The fact that it was the excrement of chickens harnessed the moribund nature of the courage & heart this club once had. The fact that manure has use & can renew & rejuvenate its surroundings stabbed at the lowest recesses of their recruiting department, laying bare their incompetent antics. The stench reminded all in proximity of the decay that eats away at a club who once had a proud history.

It is estimated that the cost of the manure dumped at Punt Road was $600, but the majority would say that this gesture, one of hate, self loathing & misguided passion was of more value than all the wealth of Solomon.

For this reason we salute this loan wolf Mario, who, aboard his iron chariot, delivered to the club the only thing of any use in the last two decades….. Manure.

Manure, a true Anti-hero, we stand at attention & salute you.

Well done Comrade Crimson for your objective and dispassionate comment on Richmond. I was unaware of this particular incident - mind you, there is a constant stench coming out of Punt Road at the best of times.

And didn't Richmond - albeit meekly - make the finals in 2001? Why was 'Mario' going troppo on this occasion?

Biffinator

Wow you Demon supporters must be happy that Geelong only hammered you by 186 points, another goal and you would have had the embarrassment of going down in the history books with the largest ass kicking ever handed out, ... oh that's right :eek:

Highest winning margin
190 points – Fitzroy 36.22 (238) defeated Melbourne 6.12 (48)
Waverley Park, 28 July 1979 :eek:

Anti-Richmond Hero Number 40: The truck load of manure – Lone Wolf Mario.

I believe this was dropped off to help the club bring Punt rd oval back to life, he was just a little early with the delivery :confused:

Now lets look at the Demons way of showing their displeasure at the way this joke of a club has been run since it's heyday way back in the 50's, that's right this once grand old club has delivered nothing to it's long suffering (if sipping Chardonnay before a Saturday afternoon of skiing, is suffering), supporters since the days when people gathered around the radio for their footy fix.

But still what a surprise it was to the loyal supporters of the other AFL/VFL clubs, some of whom had only recently put their hands in their own pockets to save their own beloved clubs, when the Demons "supporters" had this brave response to their long troubles.

AFLmerge_-500x500.jpg

Well done Melbourne Football Club, not only for making the rest of us look good no matter how bad we get, but also for your contribution to football folklore, how can we forget the club that has the worst two losses in history, the club that brought us "Bruise Free Football" and of course the club that will be forever fondly remembered for having supporters that, as we now know, have "The Urge To Merge".

You have to chuckle at the Toigs fans who valiantly take potshots at Biff. An inevitable mismatch with hilarious results...alot like most Richmond games.

Where's number 39 ???? :confused:

In respect to the yet unspoilt Tom Derickx the number 39 was skipped. May he be swiftly traded or delisted before the self loathing sets in.

Some solid work being put into you responses.

:thumbsu:

You have to chuckle at the Toigs fans who valiantly take potshots at Biff. An inevitable mismatch with hilarious results...alot like most Richmond games.

Its even funnier watching some of you Buttfellator groupies nearly drooling over these mildly humorous posts, Sprout here seems to think BF is the next messiah, honestly you need to get out more son, although being a Melbourne supporter with the season (Ski season of course)well and truly over and having spent another miserable season watching the Demons inevitable slide towards the bottom of the ladder, I guess any rubbish posted that isn't yet another negative for the Dees must lift your long suffering spirits, but don't worry Dees supporters because if it all gets too much you can always pick up a copy of

AFLmerge_-500x500.jpg

Anti Richmond Hero No. 41 No Country for Old Men.

no-country-for-old-men.jpg

Yabby Jeans was a great coach. For whatever insane reason, in 1992 he took the helm at Punt Road. I thought to myself at the time: this is madness. If you really want to go from chocolates to boiled lollies and break your teeth in doing so, good luck!

He won five games from twenty two – go Tiges. Richmond finished thirteenth – just above the Bears and Swans. In the first game of the year, Norf hammered them by 66 points. Come the penultimate Euthanasia Round, Fitzroy did the old pole-driver on their backsides to the tune of 35 points.

art-svLANECOL-420x0.jpg

I attended the Round 20 game against the Crowbots at the MCG. There was 10,291 people at the game (I can’t remember when Melbourne had such a dismal crowd). Even Colonel Custer would have been disgusted by the final scoreboard: 163 to 53. I saw Yabby after the game; he was wandering around semi-aimlessly in the bowels of the Members’ Stand. Worse still, there was a look on his face that hitherto was new to me. It stopped me in my tracks. I have never forgotten it - never. He looked older than Methuselah but there was more to it than that. Afterwards I searched my mind to verbalise what I had seen but nothing materialised: it was something new and inexplicable. It could not be encompassed.

A few years ago, I was mesmerised when I saw No Country for Old Men. It is a stupendous film. Tommy Lee Jones gives the performance of a lifetime. After Josh Brolin’s character is murdered by the Mexicans, TLJ’s tells the witnesses at the scene – with a weariness beyond comprehension, “I'm not on the radio”. When he uttered these words, Yabby’s face flashed into my mind. I sat up, startled. Was a revelation going to be forthcoming? Indeed it was. Come the penultimate scene, TLJ’s character visits a retired sheriff. TLJ tells the latter that he is going to retire himself – he has been outmastered by forces beyond his control and not of his making.

The old sheriff looks at him and utters the words: “You can’t stop what’s coming. It’s not all waiting on you. That’s vanity.”

Upon the receipt of this wisdom, TLJ’s face was a direct mirror of the haggard look I had seen in the Members' Stand. The wheel had turned full circle. I sat there more galvanised than a photonic cell.

Yes indeed, ignoring the plea of his ageing body and all that wisdom in his head, Yabby had thought he could resurrect the Tigers from the Pullets’ Graveyard. Sheedy might have been a registered shark-jumper but he was wise enough to stay away. As it turned out, it was vanity from Yabby to think he could have made a difference. That face I saw in the Members cannot be explained any other way: Yabby was a forerunner, if not an archetype, of the Sheriff in No Country for Old Men. The rest is silence.

For helping us to semi-grasp the horror that inevitably overwhelms any misguided bugger who heads up the Richmond Tigers (sic), we salute No Country for Old Men.

Biffinator.

PS. “As a mark of respect for Allan Jeans, the Richmond team will wear black armbands in Saturday’s Round 17 match against the Gold Coast Suns at Cazaly’s Stadium.

Respectful to the last, eh Tiges?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back