Prediction Your Draft Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

If Brett ANDERSON actually had a clue he'd be working in club land. Just another parasite sucking on the teat of our great game

Anderson is actually one of the really decent quality journos you are wide of the mark there IMO.

Interesting. He'd certainly be tempting at that stage of the draft.

Melbourne would take the risk on him in the 20s surely their rucks are very thin after Gawn.

Brett Anderson's Geelong selections;

22 Geelong Nathan MURPHY Sandringham Dragons

24 Geelong Sam TAYLOR Swan Districts

37 Geelong Toby WOOLLER Oakleigh Chargers

58 Geelong Gryan MIERS Geelong Falcons

70 Geelong Lachlan SMITH Kyabram

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/11/20/brett-andersons-2017-afl-mock-draft/

Kelly the pick before us would make me sad.
I would take that draft but i expect murphy and miers will be gone well before those picks.

Doubt we use 70.

I am not necessarily sure that KPD is a huge immediate need but I agree Taylor is a really good prospect and his performances at WAFL level are very encouraging. In terms of next year's draft the quality is better than this year's IMO if you get time go watch some Izak Rankine highlights online there is seriously some footage in there that reminds me of Judd in style. And there are some good talls so I think it will be a better quality batch for most types of player needs. The issue with the bolded bit is because of our F/S situation there is no guarantee we will have a first rounder next year. Ideally we want to have a live first rounder next year and then a heap of late picks to match bids (the club has already partially orchestrated this in this year's trade period) but there is no guarantee where guys will be bid so we can't assume we will have a first rounder for a KPF next year and we have to look at when and how we are going to solve that issue (we actually probably have more solutions at KPD than we do at KPF IMO).

I think Brander is slightly ahead of Taylor for mine (some clubs see him CHF some CHB) but other than that Taylor is the best KPD for me, I would take him over Naughton (most clubs may disagree) and Balta Petty etc although most of them are good. I rate him in the 15-25 range whether he is best available at 22 depends on who slides to that pick. But there isn't a lot of noise on clubs taking him in that range so while it only takes one club he might get to the 30s we will see.

Ranke looks like a freak of a player.

Do you think brownless is a likely first rounder for next year?

I agree defence isn’t as pressing as key forwards. Was more thinking a replacement for Taylor after he retires. I am bias towards having an elite defence over anything else, want to see us transition our defence very carefully over the next few years, be the interesting to see how wells and his team have planned for Mackie Lonergan enright and Taylor’s departures in the space of 3-4 years. Almost an entire defensive post turnaround.
We need to plan for elite defenders to be brought in.

Our forwards are an interesting one, I actually don’t think as a whole it is as troublesome as some state. When you look at our forward line, there is a demanding need for a young key forward, but outside of that, we have a lot of young kids and injured players yet to get a crack who may come quite good such as parsons cockatoo Gregson McCarthy buzza. A lot of improvement to possibly come there.

Doesn’t sound like brander will slip to us, a lot of love and noise around him. Do you rate him as a future A grade forward?

Wonder if even Sam Taylor could be a forward as well, amazing hands and great timing, quick as well.

Ranke looks like a freak of a player.

Do you think brownless is a likely first rounder for next year?

I agree defence isn’t as pressing as key forwards. Was more thinking a replacement for Taylor after he retires. I am bias towards having an elite defence over anything else, want to see us transition our defence very carefully over the next few years, be the interesting to see how wells and his team have planned for Mackie Lonergan enright and Taylor’s departures in the space of 3-4 years. Almost an entire defensive post turnaround.
We need to plan for elite defenders to be brought in.

Our forwards are an interesting one, I actually don’t think as a whole it is as troublesome as some state. When you look at our forward line, there is a demanding need for a young key forward, but outside of that, we have a lot of young kids and injured players yet to get a crack who may come quite good such as parsons cockatoo Gregson McCarthy buzza. A lot of improvement to possibly come there.

Doesn’t sound like brander will slip to us, a lot of love and noise around him. Do you rate him as a future A grade forward?

Wonder if even Sam Taylor could be a forward as well, amazing hands and great timing, quick as well.
Geez if we could get Brander and Taylor in the same draft, it will be a nice spine for next 12 years IMO.

Geez if we could get Brander and Taylor in the same draft, it will be a nice spine for next 12 years IMO.

Reckon Taylor could be best key defender in the draft.
Has huge upside considering his WAFL form, being listed among the best for Swan Districts in finals games. Must have plenty of the right stuff!
A kid playing on men albeit one very big kid with long arms.
Definitely value in the twenties possibly earlier.

Last edited:
FWIW, we are having a Phantom on our Board and i'm picking for the Catters. So far on the weekend i picked:

23. Sam Taylor
25. Sam Hayes
36. Tom McCartin
59. Brent Daniels

and i plan on picking Matthew Day at #72 although it has stalled a bit in the mid 60's.

I did listen to Wells' comments on your site about you being well placed to take a few talls and agree. Contend now, and develop some young talls. Seems a good strategy with your list. I did fancy a few mid types around your first picks but they didn't make it there and am happy with what i got.

What about you guys?

FWIW, we are having a Phantom on our Board and i'm picking for the Catters. So far on the weekend i picked:

23. Sam Taylor
25. Sam Hayes
36. Tom McCartin
59. Brent Daniels

and i plan on picking Matthew Day at #72 although it has stalled a bit in the mid 60's.

I did listen to Wells' comments on your site about you being well placed to take a few talls and agree. Contend now, and develop some young talls. Seems a good strategy with your list. I did fancy a few mid types around your first picks but they didn't make it there and am happy with what i got.

What about you guys?

Wouldn't mind that draft at all very good choices for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

23. Sam Taylor
25. Sam Hayes
36. Tom McCartin
59. Brent Daniels

What about you guys?
I'd want at least one outside mid with one of our first 3 picks otherwise a fairly good draft save for Hayes who I'm not really a fan of.

Mathew Balmer has released his analysis on his Phantom Draft for Picks 1 - 25. Its a good read, overall with his other article on Picks 26-50.

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/tag/matt-balmer/

Things to note -
  • Ballard has tested well.
  • Fogarty has good stats, particularly as a scoring pressure forward
  • Ling's 20m sprint results are solid but not ground-breaking, he must have a good top speed and sidestep.
  • Murphy is not that fast nor that agile, but has an ok tank, is an exceptional mark for his height.
  • Patmore may be a good outside midfield option with a late pick.
  • Taylor has tested well, and competed well, we would be crazy not to select him.
  • Starcevich seems to be quite an athlete, strong, fast, stamina, agility, but he doesn't get the ball enough, need to assess his upside.
  • Bailey looks the best midfielder outside the Top 25.

I'd want at least one outside mid with one of our first 3 picks otherwise a fairly good draft save for Hayes who I'm not really a fan of.
In what regard?
Too slow?
I saw a lot of him past 2 years. There is a lot to see and to like .

In what regard?
Too slow?
I saw a lot of him past 2 years. There is a lot to see and to like .

The 19.3 yo yo is a worry for me. Seems to be talent there though.

Looks a very skinny ruck.

I’d be hesitant on picking a skinny ruckman with our early 20s picks when there are outside mids and some highly rated key defenders still on the board
Which outside mids do you want? Ling, O'Brien, Petrucelle?

I feel like I've read a lot of your doubts surrounding players but not as much of who you would want.

Which outside mids do you want? Ling, O'Brien, Petrucelle?

I feel like I've read a lot of your doubts surrounding players but not as much of who you would want.

The mids I really want to target are:

Tim Kelly: would be in our 22 from round 1 and somewhat replace that ‘motlop esqu’ run and carry. It suits our strategy to go for a flag now and I think he would really help our team from the get go. We don’t really have any run and carry players bar the injured nakia so I think he’d be a great fit for us.

Lachie O’Brien: reminds me of Zach Merrett. Makes great decisions and we need players that hit targets inside 50 rather than our forward game plan of the last 6 years of bombing it to the goal square on Hawkins’ head. Like Kelly, he gives us a point of difference. Probably has the best kick of the draft and moves well across the ground.

If they were gone I’d look at Sam Taylor or Balta.

I also like miers but he could be there with our 35 pick.

I’d also be keen on grabbing a slider if one presents itself. For too long we have reached with our first with higher rated sliders on the board and have burnt ourselves (think thurlow over Grundy- I wanted Grundy at the time). You never know what can happen on draft day and there usually is a slider. If say Higgins (unlikely but a chance) was there at 22 I’d be grabbing him

Looks a very skinny ruck.

I’d be hesitant on picking a skinny ruckman with our early 20s picks when there are outside mids and some highly rated key defenders still on the board
At 18, 204 cm, 93 kg , he will develop. Do we want another Dawson Simpson project player or not? DS could have been our man had he not been injured so often (spine).
Against that, Hayes has true ability as a KF.

Last edited:
Giving myself some wriggle room but gone with 3 scenario's.

Dream Draft :
22 - Nathan Murphy - Good size, strong mark, pin point kick & couragous. Just started playing footy so huge upside
24 - Noah Bolta - Key position intercept marker, explosive and takes the game on
35 - Nathan Kreuger - Great speed and agility for his size. Key position at either end that could probably play midfield if needed
58 - Kyron Hayden - In the Cocky mold, great explosive speed and jump, breaks away from packs and can accumulate
71 - Cassidy Parish - Good in an under mid, using his size to feed the ball out. Reckon he has diceptive speed

That's an exciting draft haul which would give flexibility and cover off a lot of needs.

What I Think Might Happen :
22 - Lachlan Fogarty - Exciting high pressure small forward who knows where the goals are
24 - Sam Taylor - Key position intercept marker, explosive and takes the game on. The more I watch him the more I like him
35 - James Worpel - Local lad who is hard, determined and knows how to find it
58 - Callum Coleman-Jones - Project ruckman, who actually moves well, gets involved, can take marks and kicks goals.
71 - Gordan Narrier - Another exciting super quick and smooth moving forward who could go through the midfield or wing

Couple of bigs, small forwards & another midfield bull to take over post Selwood & Danger. I'd look forward to these guys running around in the hoops.

What Wells will do :
22 - Lachlan O’Brien - Elite endurance, kicking and decision making. Looks determined and could be Duncan 2.0
24 - Matthew Ling - Knows how to find space and break lines using his top end speed and agility. If he can learn to find it more, will be a player
35 - Harrison Petty - Courageous big guy that can take a good grab and rebound with speed out of the back line
58 - Will Walker - Wells utility type that can play a number of positions through the midfield, forward or back, with good speed and kicking
71 - Hugh Dixon - Project Tassie key forward who could be a more than handy player. Looks a smart footballer, with a great high mark and accurate kick

Some typical Wells types in this lot, but again covers a range of needs forward and back along with some speed through the midfield.

Whatever happens, I'm sure to be nervous on the night, then upset we didn't pick someone we thought we should have taken and then extatic after reading their profile and watching the 3 minute highlights video.

GO WELLSIE!!!

It's very hard to pick this year looks like lots of players with potential and who knows where they will fall in the draft. Each time I think about it I change my mind but I'd go with this considering where other players look likely to drop.
22 Tim Kelly aged 23 goal kicking midfielder can also win his own ball inside could be perfect on a wing from round 1 next year.
24 Sam Hayes ruck/forward will take a while to develop but hopefully could develop as much forward like Wright as a ruck to replace Smith. Potentially could be a boom or bust pick but picking around this mark is prone to those sort of players anyway. Would be great to have a young ruck developing, would probably mean Abbott is delisted at the end of next season hut they may happen anyway.
35 Brent Daniels small forward who played some VFL games for Geelong this season and seems to have a bit of the annoying traits good small forwards have.
58 James Worpel inside mid looks like Josh Caddy goes in hard, tackles well and finds the ball but has some disposal deficits that would have him drop further down the draft. Good to have young mids coming through and with coaching should improve disposal and decision making. Seemed to rove well off Hayes in footage I saw so could work well together. Also with Cockatoo and Parfitt could form a good midfield together.

There are other players that I like and if we had more picks would love a couple more, disappointed we will pick up hayball as a rookie as I haven't seen him do anything to warrant more time and think some quality players could be available then. Tom Atkins, Hamish Brayshaw, Stefan Giro, Cassidy Parish and Adam Sambono could all be there as a rookie or late pick who I like.
Joel Garner I like but does he play the same role as Thurlow?
Tom McCartin and Toby Wooler I Like but I'd be really concerned they are not big enough as key forwards and don't have enough other attributes to play as a third forward.
Liam Ryan could be a star but it's so hard to work out where to pick him I imagine he just goes to the Eagles
Sam Taylor I like and can see why we'd pick him I just don't think we need another key defender

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Your Draft Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back