Xavier ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

He is listed as an emergency did he fly to adelaide?. If not its a shame i can't make it to box hill this week. I would have love to have had a closer eye on him down there. He should really dominate at BH level similar to what Swiss did last year (in the games he played) and i agree if he doesn't then others who do deserve their opportunities.
I'm over in adelaide for the game and NO HE DIDN'T MAKE THE FLIGHT OVER. Cheney is the emg who is in Adelaide.

His kicking lacks penetration.

The prospectus says he is very good at turning his inside 50s into goals and scoring shots.

I think it is exactly because he pops the ball up a bit. Perfect for a forward to run on to. His kicking works well in an 'over the top' run onto style as well.

Does not have luke hodge bullet passes - but it has its uses at times. Would be better if he had a more versatile kick though.

Along with half a dozen others I reckon he's one of those mediocre players on our list who needs to step up a gear if we're to play in another grand final.

What I find most baffling about Ellis is why can't he ever seem to put on any muscle? You'd think a course of weight-gain supplements and long hours in the gym over the summer would work wonders for the kid, yet he seems incapable of building size on his scrawny physique.
Perhaps it's just my perception that his lack of strength is one of the reasons for his extremely cautious approach on the field, but I can't help but think that bulking up would give him some much needed confidence.

I also have my doubts that the midfield is really the best place to play him given his lack of speed. Maybe a forward or back flank would suit him better?
Whitecross is another who reminds me of Ellis. Plenty of smarts and decent skills but not quick or overly agile, or tall enough to be damaging to opposition teams. Modern day Lance Picioanes perhaps?

Whitecross has very good speed and endurance. He was a champion schoolboy athlete. Whilst not tall, circa 184cm (similar to Hodge) he is quite good overhead also.

I actually thought Ellis finished 2010 season off well, and actually felt he was a loss to the team in the final vs Freo when he got injured.

I think it's a good sign, he had a late start to the pre-season. If our depth wasn't good enough he probably would make the 22.

Needs to play at HF in my view. His kicking would be best utilized kicking the ball to leading forwards. Not an overly physical position and more relies on your ability to find space, which is easier to find on our team with the extra attention Buddy and Roughy draw.

Like a shorter kicking version of Youngy.

Along with half a dozen others I reckon he's one of those mediocre players on our list who needs to step up a gear if we're to play in another grand final.

What I find most baffling about Ellis is why can't he ever seem to put on any muscle? You'd think a course of weight-gain supplements and long hours in the gym over the summer would work wonders for the kid, yet he seems incapable of building size on his scrawny physique.
Perhaps it's just my perception that his lack of strength is one of the reasons for his extremely cautious approach on the field, but I can't help but think that bulking up would give him some much needed confidence.

I also have my doubts that the midfield is really the best place to play him given his lack of speed. Maybe a forward or back flank would suit him better?
Whitecross is another who reminds me of Ellis. Plenty of smarts and decent skills but not quick or overly agile, or tall enough to be damaging to opposition teams. Modern day Lance Picioanes perhaps?

X-Man is a very smart player. He doesn't have much pace, which makes him seem to lack the abilities that everyone seems to want these days. But it's simply amazing how many times the guy is in exactly the right place.

A lot of the time he is trying to mix it and get the ball, do a little dish off or hurried kick out of a contest. It doesn't look all that good, but he's there and contesting and getting more posessions that he gets credited for.. At the same time he finds space.

This has been probly his best pre-season since joining Hawks, think it's a bad time to push him back to BHH to ask more. Bit disappointed. He's no hard nut like Picioane. I find it hard to call him mediocre in a team full of midfield brilliance like Mitch, Hodge, Burgers, Louie, Bato, etc.

WhiteX is a bit similar... he's a midfielder but been asked to play half back or half-forward... he's still learning new roles. Still think his natural role is midfield.

Is Ellis injured or just omitted? If it's due to omission then i think it's a good decision. X-man really needs to lift his game. Hopefully he can rediscover some form in the VFL and push for senior selection in the coming weeks. It did take Goddard a few years to develop. This is now X-man's fifth season so I'm hoping he is a late bloomer. Does Ellis have the tools in the bag? Discuss.

Actually this is Xavier Ellis 6th season of football. Pick no.3 2005 :)

Still only 23 so plenty of upside in him. I thought he finished the second half of the season very well kicked 10 goals so that might the new role he will play as a half forward/wing.

Actually this is Xavier Ellis 6th season of football. Pick no.3 2005 :)

Still only 23 so plenty of upside in him. I thought he finished the second half of the season very well kicked 10 goals so that might the new role he will play as a half forward/wing.

Wrong. He spent his first year on the Hawk list finishing school... much like Lenny Hayes. Essentially one year peddling water.

Needs to play at HF in my view. His kicking would be best utilized kicking the ball to leading forwards. Not an overly physical position and more relies on your ability to find space, which is easier to find on our team with the extra attention Buddy and Roughy draw.

Like a shorter kicking version of Youngy.

One problem I see with this is that he couldn't make the distance from 40 metres.

Say what you like about Ellis but the fact is we needed his leadership, composure and decision making in that second half badly. Will play next week.

Saw Ellis play at Box Hill yesterday and he played really well but the thing that impressed me was his impressive long kicks he really thumped them.

On his performance yesterday he should be back in the side at Hawthorn along with Hodge,Guerra,BaileySmith,Murphy so there is a lot of depth down at Hawthorn this year.....which is only a good thing.

Also liked the kid called Luke Lowden he will be a player of the future might even get some games later on.

I am quite confident that we will be a strong challenger this year.

Saw Ellis play at Box Hill yesterday and he played really well but the thing that impressed me was his impressive long kicks he really thumped them.

On his performance yesterday he should be back in the side at Hawthorn along with Hodge,Guerra,BaileySmith,Murphy so there is a lot of depth down at Hawthorn this year.....which is only a good thing.

Also liked the kid called Luke Lowden he will be a player of the future might even get some games later on.

Great to read. Am hoping 3 or 4 guys get dropped from last night's game and if Ellis played well, he is one the should go up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seriously don't get what the hype is about Max Bailey... He's had 3 knee reconstructions and suggested nothing that he will make us a better team. Living in denial. If he doesn't deliver anything this year then it's time to cut our losses and delist him.

I seriously don't get what the hype is about Max Bailey... He's had 3 knee reconstructions and suggested nothing that he will make us a better team. Living in denial. If he doesn't deliver anything this year then it's time to cut our losses and delist him.

He's a good tap ruckman who has 6 centimetres over most of his opponents and can play forward.

Perfect type for the No.1 ruck at Hawthorn.

Hmmm . . . does this mean you saw him as physically capable of playing AFL football? For some reason Grimley has gotten starts ahead of him, even though Luke has shown a lot more in the ruck imo.

I agree. He has no penetration or distance. Plus he handballs almost immediately and usually to team mate under pressure.

Ellis actually has a borderline thumping left foot - he's no Clinton Young, but for some reason he plays very safe with short dinky kicks when in fact he does have decent penetration when he cuts loose.

As others have said he's very team orientated and plays very safe to the point he sacrifices his own game, which might explain this.

But check the WC game last year if you want an example of him kicking long, he did it a couple of times that night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back