Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody? - Part 2 -

Remove this Banner Ad

"serious and imminent risk to the reputation and viability of our business."

That's where I'm stuck. Sure, have a uniform policy.

Sure, enforce it. The employees took the scarves off when asked.

But if you're going to do things like sell Pride Cupcakes, you kind of shoot yourself in the foot about sacking people for expressions of solidarity with others - specially when they complied with your request to remove that expression.

View attachment 2023175

Agree with this. I read a bit of rhetoric about International Women's day and how a lot of companies just order in some pink cupcakes and have a morning tea and do nothing else about gender issues in the workplace. That's the problem with a lot of these days that get recognised in the workplace, participation amounts to little more than ticking the box basically.

Agree with this. I read a bit of rhetoric about International Women's day and how a lot of companies just order in some pink cupcakes and have a morning tea and do nothing else about gender issues in the workplace. That's the problem with a lot of these days that get recognised in the workplace, participation amounts to little more than ticking the box basically.
You'd be surprised at some of the things the corporate world is doing beyond merely pretending to care.

Even in the big bad world of pharma, some companies set targets for percentages of minority and women employees (amongst other initiatives for diversity, inclusion, and equity). I suspect it would help my career progression if I came out as belonging to a minority group at my workplace.

You'd be surprised at some of the things the corporate world is doing beyond merely pretending to care.

Even in the big bad world of pharma, some companies set targets for percentages of minority and women employees (amongst other initiatives for diversity, inclusion, and equity). I suspect it would help my career progression if I came out as belonging to a minority group at my workplace.
Mostly done to help their ESG scores, which in turn leads to lower finance costs.

... we're arguing about clothes now?

If there weren't real world consequences, this would be the most silly thing we've ever discussed on the SRP.
My argument has nothing to do with clothes - rather its to do with the entitlement of some who feel their employer should automatically support their political views while they're in their workplace.

I find it interesting to ponder why some would rather discuss clothing than the real issue at hand; my hypothesis is that many on the far left are equally entitled.

My argument has nothing to do with clothes - rather its to do with the entitlement of some who feel their employer should automatically support their political views while they're in their workplace.

I find it interesting to ponder why some would rather discuss clothing than the real issue at hand; my hypothesis is that many on the far left are equally entitled.
Quite honestly, I think we - society - are let down by the caliber of libertarians we have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite honestly, I think we - society - are let down by the caliber of libertarians we have.
In respect to emotive and controversial issues, do you feel everyone should have the right to support their 'side' of the issue at work?

In respect to emotive and controversial issues, do you feel everyone should have the right to support their 'side' of the issue at work?
Honestly, I do not like the owners of capital yanking on someone's chain and endangering their chances at survival - for whatever else is a sacking or deprivation of work on the basis of what someone has said in the workplace if not putting their ability to obtain food and shelter at risk? - because they're afraid of hurt feelings within their customer base or their workplace. To me, it simply demonstrates that there is no such thing as a middle class: there are the owners of capital - those who hold the chain - and the working class - those who heel; owners can say and behave as they like. Workers must watch their words and their behaviour to maintain their stability.

Go back a good 12-13ish years. I was working at a servo chain. It was my 5th shift inside 4 days; I was casual fill, and my responsibility was to turn up when I got a call. I had a single permanent shift, but there were weeks I got maybe 10 hours of sleep overall. I looked - and probably smelt - pretty bad by this point. My boss turns up - I'd been working since 10pm, it's 7am and my shift ends at 9 - and she tells me that she should send me home for looking as I do. I'm tired, I'm pissed, and I respond with, "You can't send me home, you need me to work right now."

I did not receive another shift for seven weeks. I missed a rent payment - something I'd never done before that or since - and I would've wound up going pretty hungry if not for my parents.

Now, this isn't quite what we're talking about here. You're referring to political advocacy within professional roles. But there's a comparison to be drawn here: a business who owns your labour owns you as long as you need the money. They can endanger your life based upon what you say.

I was pretty ****ing good at that job. I could restack shelves; I won awards for onselling; I was able to adapt to the different sites and needs of particular times and opening/closing routines. I've worked over the course of my life at two of these chains, and my final boss did not want me to leave and kept trying to get me to stay.

And the boss in the first instance put me in jeopardy because she didn't like my tone.

To me, this is merest prioritizing of rights. My right to be my own person does not trump capital's right to control my actions in their workplace. That's some bullshit.

Honestly, I do not like the owners of capital yanking on someone's chain and endangering their chances at survival - for whatever else is a sacking or deprivation of work on the basis of what someone has said in the workplace if not putting their ability to obtain food and shelter at risk? - because they're afraid of hurt feelings within their customer base or their workplace. To me, it simply demonstrates that there is no such thing as a middle class: there are the owners of capital - those who hold the chain - and the working class - those who heel; owners can say and behave as they like. Workers must watch their words and their behaviour to maintain their stability.

Go back a good 12-13ish years. I was working at a servo chain. It was my 5th shift inside 4 days; I was casual fill, and my responsibility was to turn up when I got a call. I had a single permanent shift, but there were weeks I got maybe 10 hours of sleep overall. I looked - and probably smelt - pretty bad by this point. My boss turns up - I'd been working since 10pm, it's 7am and my shift ends at 9 - and she tells me that she should send me home for looking as I do. I'm tired, I'm pissed, and I respond with, "You can't send me home, you need me to work right now."

I did not receive another shift for seven weeks. I missed a rent payment - something I'd never done before that or since - and I would've wound up going pretty hungry if not for my parents.

Now, this isn't quite what we're talking about here. You're referring to political advocacy within professional roles. But there's a comparison to be drawn here: a business who owns your labour owns you as long as you need the money. They can endanger your life based upon what you say.

I was pretty ****ing good at that job. I could restack shelves; I won awards for onselling; I was able to adapt to the different sites and needs of particular times and opening/closing routines. I've worked over the course of my life at two of these chains, and my final boss did not want me to leave and kept trying to get me to stay.

And the boss in the first instance put me in jeopardy because she didn't like my tone.

To me, this is merest prioritizing of rights. My right to be my own person does not trump capital's right to control my actions in their workplace. That's some bullshit.
That's one way to view the issue, though I'd argue it's also about basic respect for your colleagues and even the viability of the business.

Showing support for either side of a controversial issue like Israel/Palestine, organised religion/antitheism, abortion, or the like can cause disharmony in the workplace and affect the bottom line of the company who is employing you.

Is the profitability of your employer and workplace unity more important than your right to political expression at work? I say yes.

I think to how that could impact my industry for example - imagine the conflicting messages a Pfizer or Moderna anti-vaxx employee could give (I know people in the industry who lost their jobs for refusing to take a COVID jab).

Some things need to be kept in check at workplaces including expression of religious and political views; especially so if those are controversial in nature. It's a question of basic etiquette even moreso than rights afaic. I certainly don't feel that my rights are being violated because I can't openly express my disgust for religion at work.

Should certain clothing such as any specifically Muslim attire be banned from workplaces, to avoid the possibility of it being viewed as support for Palestinians?

Should jewellery be banned from workplaces, to avoid what looks like or are crosses or Star of Davids being worn?
Should rainbows be banned from workplaces or from sale at stores to avoid the possibility of supporting LGBTQ+?

Should a employer be able to discriminate in who they serve based on their religious beliefs, but employees be unable to observe their religious beliefs just to maintain an income to survive?

Black Star Pastry sells Pride Month cupcakes.

They seem fine with controversial displays of support.
And? That's a business owner's decision and they're the ones taking the risk of any blowback. Surely as a business owner yourself you can see the difference between BF taking a public position on a topic vs one of your employees doing so publicly on the site without your consent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back