Winning streaks against rival clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 16, 2005
paradise
AFL Club
Carlton
Which ones will most likely get broken in 2012 ?

Last year Carlton managed to break a couple of long standing ones .

as they stand now :

Collingwood has defeated the Swans in their past 10 matches. It's the longest winning streak by one club over another in the competition.

The Swans will be seeking to end the Magpies' streak this year in round 20 at ANZ Stadium.

Hawthorn has won every match against Carlton since 2005 — eight victories in all.

The Hawks have also defeated Melbourne in their past eight matches. They should expect fireworks from both the Blues (round 14) and the Demons (round seven) this year.

The other current winning streak of eight games is by St Kilda over Fremantle. They meet only once this year, at Etihad Stadium in round four.

It's a match that will have added spice because it will be Ross Lyon's first game as Fremantle coach against his former club.

Longest winning sequences: club v club
29 Collingwood v Hawthorn; round three, 1925 to round 13, 1941
25 Carlton v Hawthorn; round four, 1925 to round 12, 1938
24 Carlton v Richmond; round eight, 1908 to round 15, 1917
23 Geelong v North Melbourne; round 12, 1925 to round seven, 1939
23 Essendon v St Kilda; round 17, 1944 to round nine, 1957
22 Hawthorn v Melbourne, round 13, 1973 to round three, 1984
21 Richmond v Hawthorn, round one, 1925 to round five, 1936
20 Melbourne v North Melbourne, round 14, 1953 to round two, 1965
20 Hawthorn v St Kilda, round 12, 1979 to round 22, 1989

I believe the Saints run of wins over Freo will come to an end this year.

Freo won't break the streak this year, not at Etihad. Collingwood is forever destined to win in Sydney so scrub that one out too. Melbourne will most likely get thumped by Hawthorn. Carlton however should give Hawthorn a shake, should be a massive game, don't mind either team losing either. :D

Doesn't look like a good year for break streaks.

Can't see Melbourne breaking our streak, however i'm hoping the Hawks can finally beat Geelong haha. They may not have been consecutive streaks, but Hawthorn has always struggled to beat Sydney at the SCG, and Port, both in Adelaide, and in general. We managed to break both of those hoodoos in 2011

North's run against Melbourne would have to be as long as those, I'd say. Could see it going for a fair while longer as well.

The majority of the longest winning sequences occurred prior to WW2 when there were no equalisation measures, such as national draft, salary cap etc..... I cannot envision any of those longest winning sequences ever to be broken, especially in the modern era.

The majority of the longest winning sequences occurred prior to WW2 when there were no equalisation measures, such as national draft, salary cap etc..... I cannot envision any of those longest winning sequences ever to be broken, especially in the modern era.

VFL records should be consigned to the past. What is all that matters now is AFL ones because the competition is completely different now.:thumbsu:

This is not exactly a streak but since I was born (1975) Essendon have beaten St Kilda 43 times and only lost to them 16.

Pretty much sums up why us Bomber fans consider St Kilda our bunnies.

Even during the past 14 years (where 10 of those 14 years we've only played them ONCE) we're ahead 12 wins to 6 losses.

Melbourne will not beat Hawthorn. So it looks like 8 in a row. Carlton vs Hawthorn is 50/50. But Hawthorn should win, and make it 9 in a row. Hawthorn have beaten Richmond 4 times in a row. Last time we lost to them was Round 20 2008 and we know what happened that year! So if we lose to them in 2012 It's no big a deal! ;) Geelong we are not certain to beat them. Having said that winning streaks don't last forever. Our time is coming. We might beat them the second time we play them this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How the hell did the Saints beat us in Round 22 of '89???

They didn't, but they did beat you by 3 points in Round 6, 1990, which means the previous game, Round 22, 1989, was the last win in your streak against them.

They didn't, but they did beat you by 3 points in Round 6, 1990, which means the previous game, Round 22, 1989, was the last win in your streak against them.

Ahh, I'm with you now. Makes sense, since that's the only year we didn't make the Grand Final between 1983 and 1991...

Geelong last lost to Richmond Round 9 2006 (so thats 7 wins in a row).

Richmond won 110 to 90 and the game was played at Skilled Stadium.

Prior to this it was another 7 wins in a row to the Cats with Richmond beating Geelong back in 2000 147 - 77 at what was then known as Colonial Stadium.

The last time Richmond beat Geelong at the MCG was in 1999 101-66.

Essendon won't want to lose both games Vs Collingwood this year otherwise we'll have lost 7 in a row to the Pies (mind you they haven't lost many games full stop during this period of time) with our last win being in that famous 2009ANZAC Day win with Zaharakis kicking the winner with seconds to go.

I think the only streak we could have kept going after a terrible 2011 was against Essendon.. I believe we have beaten them since 2004 and did everything right up until the last quarter in R23 last year. I'm not sure how many matches were in those years but we don't seem to play Essendon often.

Collingwood is 13-0 in our last 13 games against Carlton, Essendon and Richmond. :D

Hopefully that little streak continues.

Ummmmm so you should when you're at your peak and in 2010 two of us weren't even in the 8.

Only takes two years to beat the 3 of us (when you play Carlton and Essendon twice) to notch up a little streak like that.

The other aspect of it is that teams always used to play each other twice a season, whereas now, with an 18 team/22 game fixture, you're playing most teams once. I doubt we're going to see another 15-20 game winning streak anytime soon, as it will usually translate to a team winning for 10-15 years straight.

You'd have to think Hawthorn are a good chance to end our seven game winning streak, with at least another two cracks at us in 2012. We've got another seven game streak (dating back to 2007) against North Melbourne, and with them getting a rare game against us at the friendly confines of Etihad in Round 3, they'd rate themselves as a chance. It's also a seven game winning streak (eight games without a loss) against the Dees and a six game winning streak against Richmond and with them both making the trek down to Geelong for our only encounter in 2012, the smart money would probably be on those streaks to be extended.

16 v Melbourne 1976 to 1984.

Collingwood is actually on a 19 game winning streak against it's 4 traditional rivals.

I thought we had won our last 4 against Richmond, 5 each against Carlton, Essendon and Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back