Will Langford contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me that doesn't rate him very highly? I feel as though he'll always be a top 15 to 25 player. 4 year contract extension is a bit too much. 2 or 3 would have made more sense.
Was leading our club in many contested areas and by some margin. Once he finds some composure he'll be able to use the ball better out of packs (currently throws it on the boot which gets yardage but isn't the way we play). That's when he'll really look good. Shiels and Lewis both used to routinely play like that and have since changed for the better.

Was leading our club in many contested areas and by some margin. Once he finds some composure he'll be able to use the ball better out of packs (currently throws it on the boot which gets yardage but isn't the way we play). That's when he'll really look good. Shiels and Lewis both used to routinely play like that and have since changed for the better.

he routinely throws it on the boot because he has very poor foot skills. His hands are good but anytime you get him to kick, the opposition are more than happy to leave him alone and let him butcher the ball.
He's 23 already. If he hasn't developed that side of his game by now, he never will.

he routinely throws it on the boot because he has very poor foot skills. His hands are good but anytime you get him to kick, the opposition are more than happy to leave him alone and let him butcher the ball.
He's 23 already. If he hasn't developed that side of his game by now, he never will.
He can butcher the occasional kick under pressure (or even not under pressure) like any player. Even some of our best ball users by foot like Suckling, Hill, Burgoyne, Mitchell and Hodge have made some absolute shocking kicks at times over the last few weeks. Most of his possessions this year have been from him winning the ball at the bottom of a pack, fighting to get to his feet and then banging it out long toward our goals. Which as I said isn't the way we like to play.

Where do you get your kicking efficiency stats out of interest? Places I use only have disposal efficiency in general.

His kicking isn't that bad in open play. Will's game has been played really inside this year which tends to make him throw it on the boot. We're gearing him up to be our number one inside midfielder. He's had the same amount of contested ball than Hodge and Burgoyne this year despite playing 5 and 8 games less than them respectively. His contested ball ratio is 1.72:1 averaging 20 disposals. Selwood is at 1.23:1 averaging 24, Fyfe 1.58:1 averaging 29, Dangerfield 1.37:1 averaging 27.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also mates with Hartung. This years 1st round & next years first round...would that do it?
I'm pretty fair mate.

But on this one... I'm going to have to say no.

Only due to the strength of your club and where your first picks will land. Pick 17 this year and Pick anywhere from pick 13-18 next year...

If you were finishing bottom 4 this and next year probably. Possibly.

Just can't see what you could give us that would be the cream on the cake. The older guys (Hodge,Roughy,Cyril,Lewis) would be very reticent to move. The younger guys like Hartung and Langford have just re-signed and I don't think that your middle tier will be enough.

Would be very hard to see a deal for Lachie getting to Waverley unless at end of next year he says he wants out and chooses you guys only.

I don't see any reason not to give him four years. He has obvious talent and a club like Hawthorn can afford to take that kind of risk. Probably got him a lot cheaper per year by signing him now for a long term contract when he's out of form than they would if, say, they have him a 2-year extension after grand final day.

He's no Gutherie that's for sure :)

nope, he's not.

Guthrie averaged 21.5 possession (9.5 of those contested), 5.2 tackles, 4 clearances, 0.6 goals, 0.6 assists, disposal efficiency 76% (2.3 clangers) per game.

Langford averaged 19.3 possessions (11.7 contested), 4.3 tackles, 5 clearances, 0.3 goals. 0.5 assists, disposal efficiency 61.4% (3.3 clangers) per game.

nope, he's not.

Guthrie averaged 21.5 possession (9.5 of those contested), 5.2 tackles, 4 clearances, 0.6 goals, 0.6 assists, disposal efficiency 76% (2.3 clangers) per game.

Langford averaged 19.3 possessions (11.7 contested), 4.3 tackles, 5 clearances, 0.3 goals. 0.5 assists, disposal efficiency 61.4% (3.3 clangers) per game.
85 games experience to 33 games experience and his numbers aren't that far off..

85 games experience to 33 games experience and his numbers aren't that far off..

yep but Cam broke into Geelong's lineup back in 2012 where he played as a defender.
He moved into the midfield at the start of the 2014 season where he's since developed nicely.
So it's actually 33 games v 45 games.

Unlike Will at Hawthorn, Cameron doesn't have as many solid players around him either as the likes of Ling, Corey, Ablett, Chapman, Ottens and co have since moved on or moved to another position on the ground. Will has had his tail covered since getting into the starting lineup but as is often the case, when the champs begin to decline, you often get to see the true colours of a young footballer as he gets exposed having to do a little more than what he's often capable of.

yep but Cam broke into Geelong's lineup back in 2012 where he played as a defender.
He moved into the midfield at the start of the 2014 season where he's since developed nicely.
So it's actually 33 games v 45 games.

Unlike Will at Hawthorn, Cameron doesn't have as many solid players around him either as the likes of Ling, Corey, Ablett, Chapman, Ottens and co have since moved on or moved to another position on the ground. Will has had his tail covered since getting into the starting lineup but as is often the case, when the champs begin to decline, you often get to see the true colours of a young footballer as he gets exposed having to do a little more than what he's often capable of.
Oh you :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back