Why are Port more hated than the Crows?

Remove this Banner Ad

Recent survey from Twitter aka X.
Interesting to see Port above the Crows when it comes to being hated by opposition fans.

Supporters of 7/17 clubs (Adelaide, Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, North, Richmond and West Coast) have Port in their top 5 most hated clubs.
Apart from Port no other club has the Crows in their top 5 most hated clubs.

Adelaide have had more success (2 flags > 1 flag), have been around longer (1991 > 1997) and have a bigger supporter base, so why do opposition supporters hate Port more?

Good on ya Bulldogs supporters, the only club to not have Collingwood in their top 5 hated clubs, apart from Collingwood.

My hated as a swans supporter:
1. Greater Western Sydney
2. North Melbourne
3. St Kilda
4. Port Adelaide
5. Geelong

Bang, I hate Port too!

Interesting to see Port above the Crows when it comes to being hated by opposition fans.

Supporters of 7/17 clubs (Adelaide, Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, North, Richmond and West Coast) have Port in their top 5 most hated clubs.

Adelaide have had more success (2 flags > 1 flag), have been around longer (1991 > 1997) and have a bigger supporter base, so why do opposition supporters hate Port more?

TBH my dislike comes from the Port Magpies era than the Power. Also Kane Cornes also played for them.

They're all the things people hate about North, but with the added aspect of being from South Australia which is a crap place.

Apart from our drivers Adelaide is a great place to live; unlike some other places in this country.

Most Power fans I know are normal, just disgrunteled with the egg headed egos than run the club (just like us).

The club itself has always been very arrogant and think they are better than they are. Koch/Ken's Port has become a faux Port Adelaide, more concerned with looking like the SANFL Port Adelaide than living it.

Adelaide since Blight left have been a nice club. Nothing real polarising about us, nor have we been good enough to form a rivarely with anyone.

Well personally, as a SA boy with half a family of Crows and Sturt supporters, it all lined up for me to hate Port. Their fans that I know are insufferable when they win (or lose), and have that air of superiority that the Big 4 Vic teams have, for no reason at all.

My top 5 has all teams with black in it, funnily enough:

1. Pies
2. Port
3. Bombers
4. Tigers
5. Saints

Also, just reading the article fully - the self-loathing Saints fans are hilarious.

To be brutally honest, I’ve never given a s**t whether opposition fans liked Port Adelaide, SANFL or AFL.

I don't mind Port Adelaide actually. They're the only interstate club apart from the Sydney Swans with a deep and strong history, heritage and tradition.

The rest of the interstate clubs are just plastic and soulless franchises imo.

I admire the way they stick it right up to the Pies over the Prison Bar guernsey issue as well.

I don't mind Port Adelaide actually. They're the only interstate club apart from the Sydney Swans with a deep and strong history, heritage and tradition.

The rest of the interstate clubs are just plastic and soulless franchises imo.

I like how you - probably unintentionally - praised the Swans and mocked the 'franchises' at the same time.

I think its more that nobody actually cares about the Crows outside of SA.

As opposed to Port?

Port are a club in the AFL clinging to a long gone past football legacy. They don't know who they are, they have no pride in their AFL standing, no pride in their (very good) guernsey and i question if they want to be in the competition at all. They have never embraced their inclusion in the AFL I have no time for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was all downhill once Koch came on board in 2012. The only thing they share with Port Adelaide Magpies is they also have Port Adelaide in their name.

Some reasons off the top of my head

• the tarps
  • the fans
  • the never tear us apart (crap)
  • the attempted re-brand
  • the guernsey sook
  • “we exist to win premierships” and yet they have just one.

I would say firstly their arrogance. The whole banging on about their history, heritage, how they're a real team and the Crows are a plastic franchise. We all start somewhere. (I'd say my team has plenty of amazing historic moments in my/it's 38 years (we're the same age). So what if it wasnt founded 150 yrs ago, did any of you watch the 1920 gf live?) Yes, we get it, you won 36 premierships in the SANFL. Thank goodness the VFL/AFL hasn't had one totally dominant club, like if Collingwood had won 36 flags. They also haven't really achieved anything since 2004. Crows fans probably hate them more than Eagles fans hate the Dockers because of the whole history and circumstances of how each franchise was created.

Mind you I don't particularly hate Port, I'm kind of neutral towards them, but have always kind of liked the Crows and prefer them, they're like our little brother. Would still take a Port premiership over any Vic side other than North or Bulldogs.

I'm guessing the fact Port are the only other team than Freo to have us in its top 5 has something to do with the 2017 EF and 2018 after the siren wins at AO. And our generally good record at AO.

When I was about 13, I had some Port fans come and stay at my house, as a favour from my parents to a friend. A game between Port and Carlton happened that weekend. Of the couple, the husband was a mad Port fan while the wife was a bit less fervent; this was around 2002-2003.

To say that this was not an even match would be to undersell things. This was a rogering; we wound up losing by a massive margin. Over the course of the game - a game which started with everyone in the room - my family trickled out; my brothers and my sister don't go for Carlton, but I and my dad do. Dad had to get up and leave because the bloke kept gloating, kept needling him; almost provoking a confrontation, while a guest in another person's home.

I stayed and watched the whole game, and learned what genuine dislike felt like.

The funniest thing about the rabble that is Power, is that stupid song "never tear us apart"

This.

They were just another team to me, but the painful cringe-fest that annihilates one of the great Aussie songs in an unbelievably act of bastardisation of EPL traditions had them rocket up my dislike-ladder

INXS have absolutely no meaningful tie to Port Adelaide. At least Gerry & Pacemakers were Liverpool locals

Last edited:
It was all downhill once Koch came on board in 2012. The only thing they share with Port Adelaide Magpies is they also have Port Adelaide in their name.

Some reasons off the top of my head

• the tarps
  • the fans
  • the never tear us apart (crap)
  • the attempted re-brand
  • the guernsey sook
  • “we exist to win premierships” and yet they have just one.
It is also the almighty chip they have on their shoulder.
In another lifetime, they were a big fish, in a tiny little pond, now they are a minnow and cant get their head around that.

Port are the equivalent of a Great Wall ute but when they drive past a mirror, they see themselves as a Hilux.

I just remember having our tyers slashed after the 2003 (i think) semi final win and our back windscreen cracked because of our vic plates and hawks stickers on the back of the car. Biggest bunch of bogan I've ever sat amongst. So that is a big reason.. and the stupid INXS song before the game.. get a grip.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back