who are the best 3 FF the AFL has seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe Ryan O'Connor (hehe Shinners)
Sav Rocca (sorry can't help myself)

Hard to know what you want from this topic Frodo.

Dunstall had 5 years under the VFL banner
Ablett had 6 years under the VFL banner
Lockett had 7 years under the VFL banner

Their standing under the AFL banner alone must surely be diminished somewhat.

You can't have it both ways.
tongue.gif

------------------
mens sana in corpore sano - a sound mind in a sound body

Ok, is this a trick question?

AFL

1. Ablett - without peer, only played 4 years at full forward, 122, 129, 121 and 74 goals in his final year when he missed half the season with suspension - no peer

2. Lockett - All time record holder, souldn't be stopped

3. Modra - Better than Dunstall in the AFL days, not VFL, the VFL dunstall was much better than the AFL Modra

VFL

1. Coleman - 99 games over 500 goals, simply the best

2. Pratt - Best of the full forwards of the 1930s

3. Hudson - Was a champ and also kicked 150 in a season

special mentions to:

Doug Wade
Gordon Coventry
Peter McKenna

Lockett, Ablett and Dunstall even though Ablett only played for a limited time at Full Forward.

Of course Coventry played only in the VFL.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
This is a hallucination and these faces are in a dream. A computer generated environment; a fantasy island you can do anything and not have to face the consequences.

Add Michael Werner (Essendon fans will know the name) to your list JUBJUB.

Sheedy once said he was a 100 goal per year for 10 years Full Forward in the making.

------------------

Want to rant off about the AFL? Feature writers needed for a Internet startup site. No experience necessary. Open to BigFooty contributors only for a limited time.
http://www.bigfooty.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000038.html

[This message has been edited by Max Power (edited 19 November 2000).]

1. Coleman: 5+ average a game for just on 100 games - and only stopped through injury

2. Dunstall: Just short of the most goals ever despite a fractured skull and multiple seasons lost to knee injuries - and coming back from being played out of position in his early years - and hence looking a like a fat, useless turd. Also, did not benefit from service from a great midfield for the last half of his career - and wasn't a thug. You can probably guess I have respect for the guy.

3. Lockett - through sheer weight (no pun) of goals. Had it easy late in life though with the SCG and Kelly etc.

Just missed out:

Hudson
Blight (for a few years unstoppable)
Wade
Coventry
And latter in his career: Ablett.

AFL?

Dunstall 145,123,102,101 amd was only stopped through injury in 90 and 91 from cracking the ton there too!

Lockett 127,132,110.121,109. demerits for kicking tons on the toy ground SCG.

Ablett.

All time, well been there before but what the hell,

Hudson 5 and a HALF plus average 130 games, only stopped through injury
wink.gif
(hope you dont mind the dig Dutch)

Coleman.

Pratt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A GENUINE full forward is a totally selfish ego maniac who cannot play in, and looks completely stupid in any other position. He kicks goals.

1. Lockett
2. Wade
3. Hudson

All the others could play in other positions ( maybe not Dunstall )and were team players but these guys could ONLY exist in that spot.

Grendel, Yes Lockett and Dunstall kicked 100+ more than Ablett, but they were permanent Full Forwards who played EVERY game of their career there.

Ablett only played there for 4 years yet kicked more than 400 goals in this time, averaging just on 6 a match. If Ablett had haven played at Full Forward for his entire career, he would have kicked close to 1500 goals.

Magpie Greg has gone and stolen my thunder.

1.Dick Lee was kicking goals when goals were hard to kick.
2.Gordon Coventry
3.Peter McKenna

OK, I know. These guys played in the VFL. So, if I absolutely HAD to nominate the 3 best in the AFL I'd probably say ... er ... let me think ...

Ah, **** it, who cares?

------------------
**floreat pica**

GCG, no argument from me on how good Ablett was, remember i was watching him in 82 before Geelong had even heard of him.
wink.gif

But i still reckon on any given day, when it simply HAD to be done, id pick Dunstall for sheer professanlism and team ethic over Ablett. Add to the fact he gave away at least three hundred goals over his career to blokes in better posistions (name me another FF that passed off like he did) two knee recos, the skull fracture and total commitment to the TEAM first and foremost. Thats why i can say that the Hawks never missed Ablett from the time Dunstall arrived, hell i reckon we got the better player in the end.

Lockett was nearly as freakish in most departments as Ablett too, except the speed factor and ground play. Thats my reasoning for selecting them as my best two FF's of the AFL.

Cheers.

[This message has been edited by Grendel (edited 21 November 2000).]

Coleman? Apart from the fact that there might be all of one or two people on this board that saw him play, his career was far too short to have him in the list. May as well have Fred Fanning in your lists.

Dunstall gave away more goals than Ablett kicked. And if personal discipline and on field leadership still stand for something, then Bunghole is so far ahead of Ablett and Lockett it aint funny.

Remove this Banner Ad

who are the best 3 FF the AFL has seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back