Analysis Which team out of Essendon, Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the best youth?

• Essendon

• Adelaide

• Hawthorn

• North

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why have you gone shy putting up your top 10 from today?

We have plenty of quality who didn't play yesterday too... remembering it's harder for younger players to make our side as we have more mid age players than the Hawks.

Happy to let neutrals compare my list to yours.
Because it was by far our oldest (not sure on exact numbers) as well as the worst side we’ve put out all year.

Real 50/50 game you feel.

Dons have been my biggest surprise packet this season & Scott has the team playing consistent football.

Both team deserve to play finals, but will be under pressure if they lose this week.
I think we struggle to make it either way. Geelong in Geelong, Bulldogs and Sydney after you.

I don't see how we contain your forward line honestly. Just looks so dangerous.

Because it was by far our oldest (not sure on exact numbers) as well as the worst side we’ve put out all year.
Excuses, excuses.

Sure you were still younger than our side so should be easy.

I think we struggle to make it either way. Geelong in Geelong, Bulldogs and Sydney after you.

I don't see how we contain your forward line honestly. Just looks so dangerous.
We find ways to lose to Essendon in Melbourne.

Think the Cats are vulnerable.

Excuses, excuses.

Sure you were still younger than our side so should be easy.
Not sure on exact numbers so wouldn’t know.

Newcombe
Day
Ward
Lewis (24 KPP)
Moore
MacDonald
Mitchell
Weddle
Butler
Reeves/Blanck

Missing some valuable pieces but it’s a nice looking list.

How is Hawks youth better?

Compare the quality of your list from who played today of top-10 youngsters to the Crows who played yesterday.

1 Thilthorpe
2 Rankine
3 Rachele
4 Pedlar
5 Soligo
6 Michaelanny
7 Worrell
8 Murray
9 Butts
10 McHenry

Have left out Jones with your 24 age cut off.

Not sure on exact numbers so wouldn’t know.

Newcombe
Day
Ward
Lewis (24 KPP)
Moore
MacDonald
Mitchell
Weddle
Butler
Reeves/Blanck

Missing some valuable pieces but it’s a nice looking list.

One of these lists is much worse than the other.

Hey Dominic03, friendly reminder that Hawthorn are 16th in an 18 team season and only above a team statistically having the worst season of a non start up club and, well, North.

Being young does not equate to being good. The results also need to come
Yes, and the results will come. Looking at a ladder is such a simplistic and quite basic way of looking at the concept of a rebuild or how good a team is or could be. Looking at results, the team itself among other things and factors.

I’d rather look at youth in isolation, the upcoming draft and trade period. Looking at all pessimistic, optimistic and realistic prospects of Hawthorn or any other side to build an opinion.

The topic of youth is usually not relevant to the specific season but rather future seasons.

Adelaide for example would be keen to get more midfield talent into the club whilst bolstering their depth so they can push for multiple deep runs into finals and not just meaningless ones.

How is Hawks youth better?

Compare the quality of your list from who played today of top-10 youngsters to the Crows who played yesterday.

1 Thilthorpe
2 Rankine
3 Rachele
4 Pedlar
5 Soligo
6 Michaelanny
7 Worrell
8 Murray
9 Butts
10 McHenry

Have left out Jones with your 24 age cut off.
That's a very good list. Just my personal opinion, but reckon Michaelanny might one day be the best of the lot, and there are some bloody good names on there.

Yes, and the results will come. Looking at a ladder is such a simplistic and quite basic way of looking at the concept of a rebuild or how good a team is or could be. Looking at results, the team itself among other things and factors.

I’d rather look at youth in isolation, the upcoming draft and trade period. Looking at all pessimistic, optimistic and realistic prospects of Hawthorn or any other side to build an opinion.

The topic of youth is usually not relevant to the specific season but rather future seasons.

Adelaide for example would be keen to get more midfield talent into the club whilst bolstering their depth so they can push for multiple deep runs into finals and not just meaningless ones.
all well and good but when suggesting said youth is better, the only indicator that matters is ladder position and right now, two teams sit knocking on the 8s door, and two are sitting comfortably in the bottom 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a very good list. Just my personal opinion, but reckon Michaelanny might one day be the best of the lot, and there are some bloody good names on there.
Michalanney reminds me so much of Ben Hart... & you could well be right that he ends up being the best of this group.

Hopefully his younger brother is of similar ilk.

all well and good but when suggesting said youth is better, the only indicator that matters is ladder position and right now, two teams sit knocking on the 8s door, and two are sitting comfortably in the bottom 4.
No. Again youth isn’t the clear dictation of ladder position or success of the clubs in question, and the best way to look at youth is in isolation to just youth and not the whole team.

North has the same age profile of Adelaide, but older. And isn’t performing either. That’s the concern. It’s a completely different case with Hawthorn in comparison to both Essendon and Adelaide who have good spread of age among their profiles.

No. Again youth isn’t the clear dictation of ladder position or success of the clubs in question, and the best way to look at youth is in isolation to just youth and not the whole team.

North has the same age profile of Adelaide, but older. And isn’t performing either. That’s the concern. It’s a completely different case with Hawthorn in comparison to both Essendon and Adelaide who have good spread of age among their profiles.
and that is why im not going to bother arguing because you, me, anyone else in this stupid thread will skew what ever stat they want to suit ones own argument.

The only stat that matters to anyone is premiership points. One can argue that Essendon who has a younger list than Sydney, or Richmond or GWS or Geelong etc. They don't care. They care about how there team is going to win theft this year

On that not, im out

and that is why im not going to bother arguing because you, me, anyone else in this stupid thread will skew what ever stat they want to suit ones own argument.

The only stat that matters to anyone is premiership points. One can argue that Essendon who has a younger list than Sydney, or Richmond or GWS or Geelong etc. They don't care. They care about how there team is going to win theft this year

On that not, im out
Yeah it’s literally just discussion on youth. There’s rarely definite answers but more so collaborative discussions.

But again that’s why you don’t pay attention or you discuss how using minor statistics isn’t proving a point. And you need to cover all angles.

Saying a player is better than another can be baseless without stats and clear talent ID.

since we're doing top 10s

Martin
Hobbs
Caldwell
Tsatas (33, 8 tackles, 5 clearances v top VFL side today :) )
Perkins
Cox
Jones
Bryan
Menzie
Reid

after that top 5, it's talls still developing, plus Menzie
There’s some real talent here. But clear lack of depth of youth.

not counting D'ambrosio and Davey who have played AFL fairly well, Davey the 2nd, Munkara and Hayes that haven't yet. and Baldwin...who i suspect will be in our backline soon.

depth is there. we also have all our picks this year.

not counting D'ambrosio and Davey who have played AFL fairly well, Davey the 2nd, Munkara and Hayes that haven't yet. and Baldwin...who i suspect will be in our backline soon.

depth is there. we also have all our picks this year.
I have maintained right throughout this thread that Hawthorn in particular have forced themselves to play the youth because the senior players are just not there.. Essendon has some senior players hence a guy like Harrison Jones (when fit) was a #2/#3 fwd, Hobbs/Caldwell are 3rd/4th string mids because of Parish/Merrett.

Back