Opinion Which players would have been the best if not for injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Shaun Rehn if not for injuries could have been one of the greats. Did make All Australian a couple of times early on in his career. I feel he would have had a lot more accolades if not for missing all those games.

Nathan Brown. Looked like he was going to tear the league apart before snapping his leg

Max Bailey

Most of the key names for this thread have been listed already.

One who hasn't is Tom Mitchell.

In his first year at a new club at just 23 - he smashed the record for most disposals in a season (averaging 36 a game!), won the club B&F by a mile, was selected at rover in the AA team and finished top 3 in the Brownlow. He had a very rounded game as he averaged over 6 clearances a game and 6.5 tackles a game.

In his 2nd year at his new club (at 24), he went to a whole new level altogether - He set a new all time season disposal record, far exceeding his own, and 120+ disposals clear of 2nd. He posted the 2nd highest clearance season in history (miles ahead of anyone else that season), 2nd most contested possessions, top 5 for tackles, etc, etc. He was hot favourite for and comfortably won the Brownlow, easily won the MVP, scooped basically every media award, easily won the B&F and was selected AA. He also managed to drag a very average Hawthorn side into the top 4 and was clearly the best player in the comp that season.

In fact, in that 2 year period, Mitchell had 3 times as many 50+ disposal games as any other player in history has had in their entire career.

As we all know, he broke clean through both his tibia and fibula bones that off season and was really never the same. Lost all his agility and mobility, his kicking was not the same, etc. He still found a way to be a meaningful contributor but was a shadow of his former self, where he was the game's best player (and improving every year) prior to injury.

If not for injury, I suspect we would be talking about a multiple Brownlow, multiple MVP winning player with 6-7 AA's to his name and debating his place amongst the great midfielders.

Scott Gumbelton, Matthew Leunberger two that come to mind.
Gumbleton as pick 2 in 2006. Peel thunder in the WAFL.
Was always interested to see Morabito as well, that was a shame.
Anthony Morabito was pick 4 in 2009. Peel thunder in the WAFL.

Harley Bennell, Pick 2 in the 2010 draft. Peel thunder.

All 3 blokes had talent, all were taken early , all were from Peel thunder in the wafl, All 3 were wrecked by injuries.

Justin Longmuir kicked 102 goals as a forward/ruck between 2001 and 2003 before he eventually retired at 26 years old due to knee issues.

Matthew Richardson, because you're never the same after an acl is what I'm hearing. Imagine he was the same after '95, he kicks more than 91 goals in '96 easy. So that's 800 goals over his career never being the same after '95.

Matthew Richardson, because you're never the same after an acl is what I'm hearing. Imagine he was the same after '95, he kicks more than 91 goals in '96 easy. So that's 800 goals over his career never being the same after '95.

Hudson in the 1970s with an ACL came back after pretty much 6 years away and kicked 110 goals in a season and then retired.

Literally could have kicked 2,000 goals if not for injury.

Not to mention all the times shit full backs concussed him or straight up knocked him out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hudson in the 1970s with an ACL came back after pretty much 6 years away and kicked 110 goals in a season and then retired.

Literally could have kicked 2,000 goals if not for injury.

Not to mention all the times shit full backs concussed him or straight up knocked him out.
I never seen Hudson play, but if what you're saying is true then you've just answered who the best forward to ever play the game is.

I never seen Hudson play, but if what you're saying is true then you've just answered who the best forward to ever play the game is.

Depends how you measure it. He averaged an insane amount of goals, but because of injury he played far fewer games than Lockett, Dunstall, Coventry and Buddy and a dozen others who ended up kicking far more goals over their careers.

But he certainly is top of my list in this thread. Every time he played a full season he kicked at least 100 goals. No-one else has ever done that.

Depends how you measure it. He averaged an insane amount of goals, but because of injury he played far fewer games than Lockett, Dunstall, Coventry and Buddy and a dozen others who ended up kicking far more goals over their careers.

But he certainly is top of my list in this thread. Every time he played a full season he kicked at least 100 goals. No-one else has ever done that.
He kicked a 100 goals in his last season, you said he missed 6 years, no reason to think those seasons would've been worse than his last. Hudson is clearly the best forward that's ever played the game.

Plenty of great modern examples and though he’s been mentioned, the Coleman story is just amazing.

Debuted in 1949. Kicked 12 in Round 1. 100 for the season.

1950 - kicked 120

1951 - kicked 75 in 16 games

1952 - kicked 103

1953 - kicked 97

1954 - kicked 42 in 6 games. Dislocated his knee, never played again. 25yo.

To illustrate it further - he played in an era which was similar to today in terms of individual goalkickers. Between 1941 and 1967, no player kicked 100 goals in a season - except Coleman, who did it 3 times in his first 5 seasons.

It’s the equivalent of a player kicking 12 on debut in Round 1 next year - in this era of goalkickers - then 100 for the season, and repeating that year after year.

No player comes close in the “what if” stakes. If he played a full career he’d be the undisputed GOAT - as it is, many consider him that anyway.

In my time and watching my club, Barry Stoneham, Matt Egan, Daniel Menzel and Paul Lynch.

Jason Snell went alright too until he busted his leg.

The clear standout for me from that group was Paul Lynch.

Could never, ever, get on the park for long enough. Did briefly in 1997 and looked an absolute star. Probably the worst hamstrings I've seen for a Geelong player.

As much as Stoneham is mentioned, he broke his leg in 1994 - his 9th season of football. He'd already played for a long time and was well established. While a very good player in his prime, he was as good as he was going to get.

Plenty of great modern examples and though he’s been mentioned, the Coleman story is just amazing.

1950 - kicked 120

1952 - kicked 103

1953 - kicked 97

To illustrate it further - he played in an era which was similar to today in terms of individual goalkickers. Between 1941 and 1967, no player kicked 100 goals in a season - except Coleman, who did it 3 times in his first 5 seasons.

It’s the equivalent of a player kicking 12 on debut in Round 1 next year - in this era of goalkickers - then 100 for the season, and repeating that year after year.

No player comes close in the “what if” stakes. If he played a full career he’d be the undisputed GOAT - as it is, many consider him that anyway.

Yeah I've said it before - had plenty of older relatives unanimously tell me he was the greatest player they'd seen. No Essendon fans among them either.

From the hawks:
Nick Holland - would've probably been the best chf of his generation if not for knee injuries

Max Bailey - 3 goals (on debut?) Vs north in 1 quarter, covered the ground better than any ruck I've seen. Then the curse of 36 hit

Left field - Robbie Campbell. Was developing into quite the utility in an era where rucks were a bit of an afterthought. Not saying he'd have been the absolute best, bust certainly would've been remembered as a fantastic ruckman

From the hawks:
Nick Holland - would've probably been the best chf of his generation if not for knee injuries

Carey says Hi

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

1950 - kicked 120

1952 - kicked 103

1953 - kicked 97

Coleman is much like Hudson. A career far too short. Anything could have been possible, but ruined by knee injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Which players would have been the best if not for injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back