Where would Caddy go in 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I imagine it would be hard to be satisfied with a trade if you know there is a better one on offer. It'd be like buying a TV for $1100 when you know you can get one for $100 cheaper down the road.

You can honestly see the difference between picks 12 or 14 being a deal breaker if Caddy chooses North over Carlton?

Is that what you're stating?

Last poster summed it up.
They dont want fringe players. They've committed to being spanked for a couple of years (except against Carlton, Richmond).
They can pick up fringe players for nothing.

why would they want a list clogger like garlett. they either want a very good player or a very good pick. not a decent pick and a hack thrown in

Hardly a hack. He was exceptional against Essendon & Collingwood this year. 20+ touches
+ couple of goals. Season high tackles of 9!

Wouldn't want to give him away for nothing, but if it helped get Caddy I could live with it.

For a 26-32 game player who has improved year on year.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/C/Cruize_Garlett.html

Our club has made our position clear, "Ashcroft said the club was debating what would be adequate compensation.
"Our philosophy is we have to do what's best for the footy club". The trade will be in the best interests of our list and our team going forward," he said.
Caddy appears to want to do the right thing by his old club so I guess we will have to wait and see. He received a great deal of bad press last year after nominating a single club, he might be a little gun shy this year. Who knows. I guess it will all unfold soon enough.

Iva, it doesn't really matter diddly squat what Ashcroft said, GC are arguing from a position of no strength. Caddy holds 95% of the cards. GC can not trade him to a club he doesn't want to go to, and Caddy can just walk to the draft. The only reason he probably won't do that, is to avoid the remote possibility of being drafted to a non-victorian club. As an Essendon supporter, I am resigned to the fact that we won't get him, we don't have the picks to satisfy GC for a trade, but if Caddy was to tell GC straight up that Essendon was the only place he would be traded to or he would walk into the draft, GC would take a 3rd rounder rather than nothing. Will that happen, not bleedin likely, but GC really have little say in what they will get. In all honesty, they would have got more dealing with us last year from a position of strength. As it stands, they will almost certainly get a first rounder, but if the Vic clubs he has looked at all only offered a 2nd rounder, GC would still have to do the deal or face losing him for nothing.

Why is North after Caddy when they have Swallow, Ziebell and Cunnington don't need Caddy and he would be silly to go there.

Why is North after Caddy when they have Swallow, Ziebell and Cunnington don't need Caddy and he would be silly to go there.
The more blokes who can win their own footy the better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our club has made our position clear, "Ashcroft said the club was debating what would be adequate compensation.
"Our philosophy is we have to do what's best for the footy club". The trade will be in the best interests of our list and our team going forward," he said.
Caddy appears to want to do the right thing by his old club so I guess we will have to wait and see. He received a great deal of bad press last year after nominating a single club, he might be a little gun shy this year. Who knows. I guess it will all unfold soon enough.

Seriously - GC should give up if they quibble about the difference between three draft positions - And as a supporter I would be disappointed.

For heavens sake. We don't want a shitty fringe player.

We need to trim our list so we can't afford to be bringing players like that in. High picks (higher than third round) or gun players. Nothing else will suffice in any trade.

Iva, it doesn't really matter diddly squat what Ashcroft said, GC are arguing from a position of no strength. Caddy holds 95% of the cards. GC can not trade him to a club he doesn't want to go to, and Caddy can just walk to the draft. The only reason he probably won't do that, is to avoid the remote possibility of being drafted to a non-victorian club. As an Essendon supporter, I am resigned to the fact that we won't get him, we don't have the picks to satisfy GC for a trade, but if Caddy was to tell GC straight up that Essendon was the only place he would be traded to or he would walk into the draft, GC would take a 3rd rounder rather than nothing. Will that happen, not bleedin likely, but GC really have little say in what they will get. In all honesty, they would have got more dealing with us last year from a position of strength. As it stands, they will almost certainly get a first rounder, but if the Vic clubs he has looked at all only offered a 2nd rounder, GC would still have to do the deal or face losing him for nothing.

Nick Stevens says hi.

Nick Stevens says hi.
Wasn't traded?

Sure, the suns could refuse to trade Caddy and force him into the draft. That's if they want to go through another mediation with the AFL sitting on their hands. And lose him for zero compensation whatsoever.

There are no shortage of suitors for Caddy, and it would seriously damage their reputation. AFLPA would be outraged.

Nick Stevens says hi.

he wasnt traded, he walked into the draft
you've looked a bit stupid there
a player has to agree to go to a club via trade, if the player is uncontracted he can walk into the draft
if the player is contracted he can refuse a trade and stay at his club

John Ralph seems to think he'll go to Collingwood and Wellingham / draft picks will be exchanged (Wellingham to either Melbourne or WC).

John Ralph seems to think he'll go to Collingwood and Wellingham / draft picks will be exchanged (Wellingham to either Melbourne or WC).

What could the scenario be?

WC in: Wellingham
WC out: Pick 17
Coll in: Caddy
Coll out: Wellingham
GC in: pick 17
GC out: Caddy

GC would then need more off the pies. Also swap Pies' pick 18 for a pick/compo pick of less value? GC could then maybe swap 17/18 for a higher pick with another club.

Maybe some other pick swapping if Coll or WC is unhappy with the Wellingham for pick 17 part.

Garlett could go somewhere else and the draft pick on traded. He might command a pick around 30 and that can be packaged with something else to get a pick GC will use.

When was the last player to leave their club, and not nominate a club? and be happy to go to the highest bidder for the GC? It doesn't happen.

In the case of a stalemate, the two keen clubs are usually miles apart, North and Carlton arn't, it's 3 places in the draft. A similar situation to Gunston last year.

He will nominate Collingwood, Carlton, North, Geelong, Essendon or whoever (probably who offers the most $$$), and the GC will do a trade.

The notion of holding out because of 3 spots in the draft, because they want the "better deal" is ridiculous, it comes down, completely, to who he nominates, not what deal the Gold Coast want....

He will nominate a club, you can guarentee that, there could be a difference in a few hundred thousand dollars during the life of the contract, beween going to Collingwood and Carlton.
Pykie I know you are a great poster but this is a bit wrong. Clubs will always take the better pick. Mitch Clarke last year? I'm sure if i dug deep I could find others. I know in the end clarke wanted the Dees aswell because of cash. But the lions chose demons over freo because of one spot

Pykie I know you are a great poster but this is a bit wrong. Clubs will always take the better pick. Mitch Clarke last year? I'm sure if i dug deep I could find others. I know in the end clarke wanted the Dees aswell because of cash. But the lions chose demons over freo because of one spot

Not really.

It was more the case of Mitch Clark choosing 800k a year, rather than the Freo offer.

Clubs have absolutely no say in that sort of thing, it's mainly down to a player accepting the contract of 1 club, and then the holding club satisfying there needs.

What could the scenario be?

WC in: Wellingham
WC out: Pick 17
Coll in: Caddy
Coll out: Wellingham
GC in: pick 17
GC out: Caddy

GC would then need more off the pies. Also swap Pies' pick 18 for a pick/compo pick of less value? GC could then maybe swap 17/18 for a higher pick with another club.

Maybe some other pick swapping if Coll or WC is unhappy with the Wellingham for pick 17 part.

Wouldnt not be happy giving up 17 for Wellingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back