Where to for Tippett?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, I'm a big fan of Tippett. I don't follow the SANFL at all and was just wondering why if dropped to West Adelaide Tippet wouldn't be able to play as a permanant forward? Do they already have other quality KPF's there, surely not as good as Tippet though?

Hey guys, I'm a big fan of Tippett. I don't follow the SANFL at all and was just wondering why if dropped to West Adelaide Tippet wouldn't be able to play as a permanant forward? Do they already have other quality KPF's there, surely not as good as Tippet though?

Quality and West Adelaide sadly havn't gone together in the same sentence since Adam Cooney played for them and Rehn was coach. They are easily the worst SANFL team and if given a 200cm beast such as Tippet will need him in the middle, they don't have the luxury really of putting him up forward. He also wouldn't get much of it either up there.

Quality and West Adelaide sadly havn't gone together in the same sentence since Adam Cooney played for them and Rehn was coach. They are easily the worst SANFL team and if given a 200cm beast such as Tippet will need him in the middle, they don't have the luxury really of putting him up forward. He also wouldn't get much of it either up there.
maybe you could also drop a few of the other Crows players listed to West to help out and possibly replace them with listed players who are currently at whoever West is playing.:D

Tippett, of course, played a few games for West last year and played forward.

Fevola has been playing in a.... let's face it - crap team - for a long time now. It was a very simple task for Truck to beat him - THEN, when supply to him was poor. But when you assess Truck against a fast leading forward, one on one... he rarely beats them. Look, don't get me wrong, I love the dude. But I appreciate and believe that it is our back line as a whole that defeats the opposition, because they work as a united team - ie. Rutten bullocking, Bassett or Stevens dropping in front, Bock running off and taking the rebound receive.. etc etc. I watched the Carlton game last weekend, and I believe, that if the supply to Fevola is the same as it was to him last weekend, Rutten (and consequently WE) will get flogged.

Oh FFS, it's not that hard, Rutten back in the goal square to beat him when Fevola wants to wrestle and one of Stevens, Massie or Basset playing 15 meters in front to chop of the leads ...

I just think Bock is better suited to play on Fev... and in all honesty, if we don't control the midfield, neither Bock nor Rutten would stop him. Really thinking about what I've written it appears that I under-value the FB role completely so perhaps it is more accurate for me to say the position of FB is over-rated, regardless of who plays there? I know Rutten plays a pivotal role in our back 6 - one that we could not do without. But I also completely believe that our defense is so successful because they work together to achieve the goal and this is aided in a large way when our mid-field controls supply. It is never really just one of them that wins us the game, rather all of them contributing to a common goal.

Don't know if I've made any sense... but I know what I mean! :eek::D

I think you've got half a point, Jenny. I agree that unless midfield defensive pressure is good, it's a battle for anyone at full back. Defenders in the back 6 helping each other out, whether it's a Stevens filling the hole, a Bassett coming in over the top with a big spoil, or a McLeod or a Johncock mopping up is also key to a good result.

However.....

Playing full back and playing CHB are quite different animals. A lot of it is mental - and some otherwise start to struggle if they play a lot of footy within 30-50 metres of their own goals. Some of it is physical. And some of it is just fit for position.

I think Rutten's value can't be underestimated. Yes, he gets beaten on the lead every once in a while. So does Scarlett, so did Silvagni, and I suspect so did David Dench and Geoff Southby. It happens, because it's a reactive position. However, I will say his ability to get a fist on the ball when you'd think he's been done by his opponent is as good as there is going around. His ability not to get beaten very often if the opposition manage to isolate him one-on-one is quite remarkable.

I don't think Bock has that same ability in the very last line. He's a great CHB, (in part because he reads the play and zones off his man pretty well, a luxury he doesn't get at FB) a passable fill in FB if needed, and can play as a makeshift forward. Truck is a great FB.

As far as the more general question about whether the position is underrated, think of what our expecations as supporters are now, compared to when Bassett played it. Back then, 3 goals to the full forward would have been considered a win for us, 6 goals a bad day. Now, it's 1 goal, and 3-4 goals for a bad day.

has anyone stopped to think that before declaring Fevola such an impossible mission, that it might actually be useful to look at the records?

I think most have.

Thats why there only really seems to be one person intent on arguing that has an inability to match him.

I just think Bock is better suited to play on Fev... and in all honesty, if we don't control the midfield, neither Bock nor Rutten would stop him. Really thinking about what I've written it appears that I under-value the FB role completely so perhaps it is more accurate for me to say the position of FB is over-rated, regardless of who plays there? I know Rutten plays a pivotal role in our back 6 - one that we could not do without. But I also completely believe that our defense is so successful because they work together to achieve the goal and this is aided in a large way when our mid-field controls supply. It is never really just one of them that wins us the game, rather all of them contributing to a common goal.

Don't know if I've made any sense... but I know what I mean! :eek::D

Sorry Jenny I can't agree with the bold bit above.

I still have vivid memories of Bassett at full back being thoroughly abused by the likes of the Alastiar Lynchs of the competition (and throwing his mouthguard on the ground in disgust often afterwards).

There may be many who argue its guys like Bass helping out Rutten that has made Rutten appear to be a fantastic FB.

I'd like to point out players like Bassett didn't get an AA guernsey until Rutten, a true FB, come into the side to fill a screaming void we had.

I still have vivid memories of Bassett at full back being thoroughly abused by the likes of the Alastiar Lynchs of the competition (and throwing his mouthguard on the ground in disgust often afterwards)

I dunno, what he lacked in ability to go with the monster full forwards he made up for with his post-molestation shows, took the edge off the fact that Lynch, Lloyd, Gheric, Neitz and the like were about to kick their 6th goal.

Sorry Jenny I can't agree with the bold bit above.

I still have vivid memories of Bassett at full back being thoroughly abused by the likes of the Alastiar Lynchs of the competition (and throwing his mouthguard on the ground in disgust often afterwards).

There may be many who argue its guys like Bass helping out Rutten that has made Rutten appear to be a fantastic FB.

I'd like to point out players like Bassett didn't get an AA guernsey until Rutten, a true FB, come into the side to fill a screaming void we had.

I've been dutifully howled down and put back in my place. That's cool. I know my opinions aren't often popular... that's cool too. Perhaps it's a lack of understanding on my part. Perhaps my perception of the role is incorrect. Thanks to all for contributing to the discussion. Certainly food for thought.

I've been dutifully howled down and put back in my place. That's cool. I know my opinions aren't often popular... that's cool too. Perhaps it's a lack of understanding on my part. Perhaps my perception of the role is incorrect. Thanks to all for contributing to the discussion. Certainly food for thought.

nicely played :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually thought Tippy did well with the limited game time he got. Went in hard at the contests and tried his guts out. Next week we have a dilemma against the Blues. They are in cracking form at the moment and Fevola is on fire (thanks to a lightening fast and accurate mid-field fueled by Judd and co.). Rutten will get slaughtered by Fev, so that means Bocky must play back. Let's have Gill and Tippett as our forward targets.... or Gill and Moran? Tippy needs to stay in.. no benefit to him going back to Wests.

For someone who's a "laughing stock" and who was completely howled down when I suggested this, I am feeling pretty bloody happy with myself tonight! :p;)

Oh and, Rutten was not only beaten in leg speed, but Fev out-bodied him a couple of times too. In fairness to the great Truck... and only because we won, he redeemed himself nicely in that final quarter.

For someone who's a "laughing stock" and who was completely howled down when I suggested this, I am feeling pretty bloody happy with myself tonight! :p;)

Oh and, Rutten was not only beaten in leg speed, but Fev out-bodied him a couple of times too. In fairness to the great Truck... and only because we won, he redeemed himself nicely in that final quarter.

Opposition players doing well makes you feel happy about yourself?

BTW, fev kicked 5. 2 were ridiculous outside 50 shots (i hate it when he does that) and one was a bullshit free.

What Southerntakeover said. :thumbsdown:

You don't cover yourself in glory with this post Jen.

Opposition players doing well makes you feel happy about yourself?

BTW, fev kicked 5. 2 were ridiculous outside 50 shots (i hate it when he does that) and one was a bullshit free.

Of course it doesn't... BUT I did predict it, got howled down and was proven to be correct. I also suggested Bock go back and Moran should go forward - that one proved to be a gem! ;) Hey, I don't often get it so right, gotta have a little fun when I do! :D

BTW.... IF we had have lost today, I'm betting a large portion of folk would have blamed Craig for leaving Truck on Fevola for so long.

Of course it doesn't... BUT I did predict it, got howled down and was proven to be correct. I also suggested Bock go back and Moran should go forward - that one proved to be a gem! ;) Hey, I don't often get it so right, gotta have a little fun when I do! :D

BTW.... IF we had have lost today, I'm betting a large portion of folk would have blamed Craig for leaving Truck on Fevola for so long.

Because if wed lost the exact opposite of reality would have happened. Truck whooped some fev ass in the second half.

Meanwhile, i dont think Bock played all of the game as a defender ;)

Because if wed lost the exact opposite of reality would have happened. Truck whooped some fev ass in the second half.

Meanwhile, i dont think Bock played all of the game as a defender ;)

Yes I know this, but when he was moved back (after Fev had kicked a hand full of goals) and Moran moved forward..... well the rest is history.

Come on ST.... not often I get to gloat about anything. :eek::p

Yes I know this, but when he was moved back (after Fev had kicked a hand full of goals) and Moran moved forward..... well the rest is history.

Hey, ive backed you on the Jericho stuff, but you aint getting a hand in support of the bag truck campaign. ;)

Meanwhile, you make it sound like Bock was sent back as a reactionary move to step Fev. Not really.

Did Bock play on Fev at all though? How do you know that Fev wouldn't have towelled up Bock even more? Rutten is our negating KPD, Bock is our run off KPD, Bock wouldn't have been able to play his natural game on Fev and let me say, if Fev's out bodying Rutten, he's gonna out body Bock, the bloke is a freak, we might as well not waste Bocks offensive abilities when we can get a similar result from Rutten.

Hey, ive backed you on the Jericho stuff, but you aint getting a hand in support of the bag truck campaign. ;)

Meanwhile, you make it sound like Bock was sent back as a reactionary move to step Fev. Not really.

No campaign... just thought he'd be beaten by Fev and he was. How do you know Bock didn't go back as a reactionary move? ;) Anyways, it all worked out in the end. Bloody gutsy win by our boys, and I couldn't be happier for them.

Did Bock play on Fev at all though? How do you know that Fev wouldn't have towelled up Bock even more? Rutten is our negating KPD, Bock is our run off KPD, Bock wouldn't have been able to play his natural game on Fev and let me say, if Fev's out bodying Rutten, he's gonna out body Bock, the bloke is a freak, we might as well not waste Bocks offensive abilities when we can get a similar result from Rutten.

We will never know will we, however last time Bocky played on Fev his restricted him to one goal. Think of the percentage! :p

No campaign... just thought he'd be beaten by Fev and he was. How do you know Bock didn't go back as a reactionary move? ;) Anyways, it all worked out in the end. Bloody gutsy win by our boys, and I couldn't be happier for them.

It wasnt a reactionary move to stop Fev. May have been reactionary to something else.

Fact is, he didnt line up on Fev at all. Truck stopped him in the second half, noone else.

We will never know will we, however last time Bocky played on Fev his restricted him to one goal. Think of the percentage! :p

Technically Jenny, he kept him to none! He kicked that goal on Rutten in the first half of the match against Carlton, before Rutten went off at half time. But anyways, I saw a few of Fev's grabs/goals today (didn't see the whole match due to my own team playing) and they were something special, not a lot anyone could really do, one of them also I think macca tried to come over the top, but actually put Rutten out of the contest in doing so and hence Fev took the grab. The bloke is a freak and to keep him to 5 was probably a pretty decent effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where to for Tippett?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back