Where does Marcus Bontempelli sit in the players of this era

Remove this Banner Ad

Bont for me is like Robbie Flower. As much as we don't value the Brownlow sometimes, champions who don't win one just don't seem to be spoken in the same conversation as ones who have (Pendles is the exception because Collingwood). I think he's one of the best players I've seen. I'd rate him over Dangerfield and he's spoken about as one of the best in the last 20 years.
Interesting to note that the popular candidates for GOAT - Lethal, Ablett Snr and Carey - none have won a Brownlow.

Interesting to note that the popular candidates for GOAT - Lethal, Ablett Snr and Carey - none have won a Brownlow.

Lethal at least has an excuse that he wasn’t “fairest”

Even though the other 2 are forwards, they have no excuse.

Tony Lockett has a Brownlow + Coleman in the same year (only guy ever)

Lockett is underrated in these discussions. He’s better than GAS, it’s just a fact.

As poor as the Brownlow is as an indicator of the best player in a given season, the legacy aspect of it is huge for any players career. It would be sad if the Bont didn't win one - it would mean that his excellence would be more likely to be overshadowed in a generation's time by his contemporaries. He's clearly the best since Danger and Dusty, and will likely be held in similar acclaim by career's end. He's well on target to play at least 350+ games, and will likely extend his career by playing in the forwardline so I wouldn't be shocked if he racks up the goals in that area.

He'll easily be the best Dog of all time if his career ended tomorrow. It remains to be seen where he'll land in terms of the all-time and era discussions, which will be very nuanced.
Brownlow is a good marker overall. Esp for mids. best way of looking at it is not wins as thats too random. Votes per game over career is a great guide and Bont at 0.83 votes per game is right up near the top.

Do you just deny reality. He literally has more big awards. Including the 2 most prestigious and 1 of each. Was also 1 vote off 3 in 4 years.

Only like 15 players have won 2 Brownlows. That’s Uber elite and that’s what people will see when they google Neale and Brownlow records.

Your stuffed eye test means f all in the record books.
Best way to assess Brownlow is not wins but votes per game

Lachie Neale 13th in total votes 187 votes in 229 games. So 0.82 votes per game.

Bont 23rd in total votes with 169 after 204 games. So 0.83 votes per game.

Its a pretty solid measure of a career and Neale and Bont are essentially tied.

Lethal at least has an excuse that he wasn’t “fairest”

Even though the other 2 are forwards, they have no excuse.

Tony Lockett has a Brownlow + Coleman in the same year (only guy ever)

Lockett is underrated in these discussions. He’s better than GAS, it’s just a fact.
Lethal got plenty of votes. He is top 10 of all time and only he and Dempsey are there of players outside the the modern era. Winning one isnt really a stong stat as its a huge field with only one prize.

Bont beats Judd on kicks, handballs, marks, goals and tackles.

He also has better kicking depth.

Judd did win the Brownlow twice but one was only because of the Carlton rule that allows you to break someone's face and still be considered fairest. (Patrick Cripps also benefited from this rule).

Judd did have more burst speed but Bont loses nothing compared to Judd.

Taking nothing away from Bont but he’s not at Judds level. Judd was one of, if not the most explosive mids we have ever seen.

At West Coast the way he would burst out of packs, and bang a goal from 50 was sublime, not to mention his lateral while running full tilt. And this was Juddy from day one at WC.

Unfortunately he was hit hard by OP which pretty much ended his explosiveness. So Judd loses his greatest attribute and re-models his game to become a great inside/contested ball winner at Carlton. I think that is a great testament to the player Judd was.

Not to mention, at Bonts age now Judd was a dual brownlow medalist and a norm smith medalist.

This thread reeks of overtly lovely comments because he plays for a cellar dwellar club that nobody ever worries about and is an insignificance besides AFL wellfare cheques.

If he played for collingwood or geelong, the bashing and hate would be severe
Scott Pendlebury literally plays for the Pies and if you could find two players who are so similarly respected by most supporter groups it's Bontempelli and Pendlebury.

So your theory doesn't exactly hold up.

Bont for me is like Robbie Flower. As much as we don't value the Brownlow sometimes, champions who don't win one just don't seem to be spoken in the same conversation as ones who have (Pendles is the exception because Collingwood). I think he's one of the best players I've seen. I'd rate him over Dangerfield and he's spoken about as one of the best in the last 20 years.

The football public really has to stop giving prestige to the Brownlow as the ultimate individual prize. On a weekly basis think the umpires are poor judges of football, yet elevate their opinions in this. People who are fatigued running around with a limited view of the game. It's a little bit stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The football public really has to stop giving prestige to the Brownlow as the ultimate individual prize. On a weekly basis think the umpires are poor judges of football, yet elevate their opinions in this. People who are fatigued running around with a limited view of the game. It's a little bit stupid.

Yep when Brian Wilson can win one and Leigh Matthews couldn't ....well you sorta see the problem.

Bont is better than Judd. Better overhead, better kick and more goals. He is better than Fyfe as well simply because his kicking is much better.
Fyfe at his peak was better overhead than Bont, he was an unbelievable contested mark for a midfielder. I think this is forgotten with his recent slump. He is a deserved dual brownlow medallist.

People also talk down about Neale, but he was the best player in 2020 by a country mile. Probably the biggest gap between him and the second best player that season than I have ever seen in any season.

This thread reeks of overtly lovely comments because he plays for a cellar dwellar club that nobody ever worries about and is an insignificance besides AFL wellfare cheques.

If he played for collingwood or geelong, the bashing and hate would be severe
That’s ironic coming from a supporter of a club that has had the taxpayer both state and federal and ratepayers build their stadium to the amount way beyond, probably 10x, what the AFL has ever given to dogs. And the Bulldogs were one of a handful of clubs that didn’t AFL need financial help during covid. And also get a fixture deliberately designed not to have the best timeslots. We are financially stable responsible and independent. I live in Geelong I know they have a superiority complex.

Best player I have seen play for the club and is one of the five best players I have ever seen play football.

I don't think he is underrated, at least by the younger crowd, most see him as the clear best in the comp and to us Doggie supporters he is basically God.

Maybe underappreciated? Older fellas on social media chime in with the Ablett Jnr/Fyfe/Judd trifecta when the question is brought up, but I think it's safe to say he is better than 1 or 2 of those mentioned now. Pretty sure some of his stats this season rank second ONLY to Ablett.

That’s ironic coming from a supporter of a club that has had the taxpayer both state and federal and ratepayers build their stadium to the amount way beyond, probably 10x, what the AFL has ever given to dogs. And the Bulldogs were one of a handful of clubs that didn’t AFL need financial help during covid. And also get a fixture deliberately designed not to have the best timeslots. We are financially stable responsible and independent. I live in Geelong I know they have a superiority complex.
How much money does adelaide brisbane gcs gc sydney gws freo and wc pay for their home stadium developments??

You get crap timeslots because you dont draw audiences on tv or crowds at the games. You get the appropriate gametime slots that is best for business.

You are a financially responsible and independent club?? Dont make me laugh. This is an article from 2022 in the age:

A report from The Ageshows the league’s variable funding of clubs from 2012 to 2021, with a huge $100 million gap between the top (GWS) and bottom club (Collingwood).

Including 2021 estimates, the Giants reportedly received $203 million in funding since 2012, leading the Suns ($198m), Brisbane Lions ($160m), St Kilda ($156m), Western Bulldogs ($139m), North Melbourne ($134m) then Melbourne ($132m).

Last edited:
How much money does adelaide brisbane gcs gc sydney gws freo and wc pay for their home stadium developments??

You get crap timeslots because you dont draw audiences on tv or crowds at the games. You get the appropriate gametime slots that is best for business
We’ve had 4-5 “prime time” games this year?
More if you count Saturday nights on Seven.

And one of those games was the highest drawing crowd at Marvel in over a decade.

I really don’t understand the allure of explosive mids who scattergun kicks all over the place like Judd or Fyfe.

Give me the vision and precision kicking of Bont over that every day of the week.

And that’s why Ablett Jr was the GOAT. He could do both.

Him alongside Petracca, Oliver, Curnow, Miller have taken over from the Dusty, Fyfe, Dangerfield era.

Is the best player in the game, Potentially the best player to play at his club (Whitten and Grant are the only 2 dogs I feel you can make a case for)

Did have a shit hairstyle for the first 5 or so years in his AFL career.

You get crap timeslots because you dont draw audiences on tv or crowds at the games. You get the appropriate gametime slots that is best for business.

You are a financially responsible and independent club?? Dont make me laugh. This is an article from 2022 in the age:

A report from The Ageshows the league’s variable funding of clubs from 2012 to 2021, with a huge $100 million gap between the top (GWS) and bottom club (Collingwood).

Including 2021 estimates, the Giants reportedly received $203 million in funding since 2012, leading the Suns ($198m), Brisbane Lions ($160m), St Kilda ($156m), Western Bulldogs ($139m), North Melbourne ($134m) then Melbourne ($132m).
I told you the superiority complex was alive and well in Geelong, and you have confirmed it, thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back