Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Do they cover the fact that the government changed the rules on the fly to stop them doing to the hedge funds what they do to individuals all the time?
No, though they do show Robin Hood and Citadel conspiring to stop individuals buying at one point. As I say, I feel it needs some pre-existing knowledge and I had a fair bit, I remember it happening at the time, seeing posts on Reddit, but not being involved in any of the communities that participated. It feels like it put entertainment above truth (duh), which is why we also don't see the many people that lost out during the craziness.

The doco approach would work better at laying out the info. the movie is a crowd-pleaser, it certainly has a crack at the powers-that-be, but it's not its priority, making fun of hedge funds seems to be the primary target.

Side not, funny seeing Seth Rogen in an ensemble comedy cast, but as the sleazy hedge fund manager. He's aged out of the stoner role, replaced by Pete Davidson :tearsofjoy:

No, though they do show Robin Hood and Citadel conspiring to stop individuals buying at one point. As I say, I feel it needs some pre-existing knowledge and I had a fair bit, I remember it happening at the time, seeing posts on Reddit, but not being involved in any of the communities that participated. It feels like it put entertainment above truth (duh), which is why we also don't see the many people that lost out during the craziness.

The doco approach would work better at laying out the info. the movie is a crowd-pleaser, it certainly has a crack at the powers-that-be, but it's not its priority, making fun of hedge funds seems to be the primary target.

Side not, funny seeing Seth Rogen in an ensemble comedy cast, but as the sleazy hedge fund manager. He's aged out of the stoner role, replaced by Pete Davidson :tearsofjoy:

Eat The Rich is the doco on Netflix - pretty good.

Garfield (2024)

It was ok. The kids liked it despite some of the jokes, and a chunk of the plot, going over their head (an ongoing Roadkill joke was weird). It was probably twenty min too long for the 4 year old’s attention span.

It’s not one they’ll be clamouring to watch again but it did the job for a cold Sunday arvo. 5/10.

Hit Man

I've often found Linklater stuff a bit dry and was expecting something a bit more subversive, so was pleasantly surprised with a pretty conventionally entertaining romp. I'm here for Glenn Powell season. My partner thought it was a big ball of cheese (some of the dialogue was, to be fair) but I enjoyed the story and thought they balanced a few different genres nicely 7/10

Dream Scenario

I liked the escelation into cringe of this and the director's also recent Sick of Myself. You know it's all going pear-shaped yet you can't look away.

Nicholas Cage quietly reminds us he is one of the best in the business. Dream sequences in movies usually make me glaze over, but I thought these were well done. An enjoyable throwback to some of those high-concept comedies of the 90s/2000s by Spike Jonze, Charlie Kauffman at al. 7.510

Let The Canary Sing (2024)

A movie length documentary about Cyndi Lauper's life and career.

Most people would know her hit songs - Girls Just Want to Have Fun, Time After Time, and True Colors - but she has such an amazing voice that she could sing anything. She was also a great performer on stage and in music videos. She wrote the music and lyrics for the Broadway musical, Kinky, Boots, which won dozens of awards. She's credited with movie and TV acting roles but it never really took off for her. She's an activist for LGBT rights.

Bad Boys 4: Ride or Die... pretty much what you expect, an entertaining enough action movie in the Bad Boys style, with long, slow pans of Miami beaches and skyline, absurd shootouts in highly public places, some bromance and banter, and then the Bad Boys against the world.

Starts with a silly narrative conceit, Martin Lawrence having a heart attack (another way to keep him out of the serious action given he has not stayed in shape like Will Smith has) and having a near death experience that the film takes far too seriously and runs with for too long. Once you get past that, it's a simple conspiracy about drug dealers trying to frame their former captain for corruption, crooked cops, Smith and Lawrence on the run. The supporting cast from Bad Boys 3 return to help out, Rhea Seehorn is completely wasted in an unnecessary side plot, and then it all culminates in a very Michael Bay-esque shootout.

6/10 but in a good way, a watchable action movie to kill two hours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Kleks Academy was featured on NETFLIX and I thought ooh ok but I am at least 50 years out of the age group for this

To be fair I did not finish this and nor will I return to it but I thought some of the parents here might like some feedback

It is a fantasy fairy tale centering around 10-12 year olds all around the world who are transported to the academy and thats where I stopped

Mr Klek apparently stores all the fairy tales in the world and I assume these become important

It is in Polish ( I use subtitles but kids might need dubbing)

It does have a strong Harry Potter vibe but it is what it is. Lots of talking birds and wolves and I assume other talking animals

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire (2024)

This is a good popcorn movie if you are okay with the pure absurdity of it all. The CGI is pretty good, although a bit cartoonish in parts. The storyline is basic but stays true to its purpose. The human characters are pretty much pointless and just seem to be there to add narration. The fights are pretty good, but you'd have to wonder about the tens of thousands of humans killed or injured as these Titans fight it out in populated areas and destroy buildings with ease. I think fans of the Monsterverse would enjoy this film. Not as good as Godzilla Minus One. 6/10 (Above Average)

Watching Cool Hand Luke for the first time right now.

Been wanting to watch more Paul Newman movies ever since I watched Slap Shot a few months one of the Funniest and best sports movies I have ever seen (and I have seen quite a lot)
Check out The Hustler if you have'nt seen it. Stone cold classic.

Civil War

I quite enjoyed this. Dunst is fantastic as is Moura. I found some of the commentary about it being too non committal and broad on the politics really, really odd. Obvious Garland hasnt out and out named the parties or people but overall it seems pretty obvious to me what and who he is talking about.

Dog Day Afternoon (1975)

Based on true events, a bank robbery quickly goes wrong with farcical results. Things take a twist when one of the robber's 'wife' turns up.

Pacino sometimes has a habit of overacting but in this he's perfect as an idiot bank robber with a heart. There's lots of humour with the hostages, the crowd and the dialog.

Leon: Where? Where are you going?
Sonny: I don't know where yet. Well, we've said Algeria. I don't know. So, I'll go to Algeria. I don't know though.
Leon: Why - are you going to Algeria?
Sonny: I don't know why. They got a Howard Johnson's there. So, I'm going.
Leon: Howard Johnson's. You're warped. You know that. You're really warped.
Sonny: I'm warped. I know I'm warped.
Leon: God, Algeria? It's eh - I - I - they - it's eh - you know - they walk around, they got masks on, and they got things on their head. They're a bunch of crazy people there.

It drags a little in the middle act but overall it's a lot of fun.

8/10

pulled out the godfather. been a while since i watched. i happen to have the coppola restoration, though only on dvd rather than blu ray.

great movie of course. what is really interesting is the tidbits from the commentary in the version i have, watched about 15 minutes worth - not gonna sit and watch another 3 hours again straight after though. the windows inside marlon brando's office were covered with white paper on the outside. stands out like dogs balls once you hear that. the nervousness of the wrestler actor getting left in the movie, but a scene added where he's rehearsing his words to the godfather. how ffc set aside time for an open call and they ended up casting the undertaker through that.

also 2/3rds through 'the thing from another world', 1951, which has a more famous john carpenter entry.

seem to recall hearing/reading about how they constructed the dialogue in this movie, where the actors are much more natural and often interrupt each other compared to maybe other movies of that era where lines are delivered, then another actor's turn, etc.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

We watched this to honor Donald Sutherland's passing, and I've always enjoyed it. The plot is pretty simple, but there are some great performances from an excellent cast. The special effects are super dated compared to what we see these days, but this film predates CGI, so everything was done using practical effects. So, it makes it kinda cool. But it builds a good tension to the famous ending. 7/10 (Good)

RIP Donald Sutherland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back