What is the most North club of other sports?

Remove this Banner Ad

My 7 year old and I have been playing a lot of FC24 lately. I'm starting to think that I should diversify the monopoly North have on the sports zone of my brain and find a soccer team to follow.

Which one taps into the North mindset the best? My first instinct is Leicester, just for the underdog thing. But truthfully, I know bugger all about the histories to have an informed opinion.

And while you're here... are there obvious similarities between North and teams in the NBA, NHL, MLB, and so on?

Hibs

We've had a thread like this before I recall.

I still reckon it's Renault (now Alpine) in F1.

Never had the profile of the bandwagon teams like Ferrari or McLaren but have had a track record of punching above their weight in terms of innovation (e.g. turbos in the Prost era), consistently had the best livery and fluctuated wildly in performance from the heights of about 20 years ago to sucking badly now (very much like North) with ongoing instability/uncertainty about their future.

Serie A: Roma ( promise so much, but same sh!t every year)

NFL: Detroit Lions ( They've been going well the last few years, Pumped Dallas Cowboys today) but historically tear your hair out kind of stuff

I think that we're the Detroit Pistons in the NBA.

Historical reputations of playing hard and tough.
Had successful teams a little while ago (Carey era roos and the early 00s Pistons), but followed it up with long stretches of mediocrity, then attempts to knock down and rebuild that have led to being stuck on the bottom.

The Pistons had the biggest losing streak in NBA history last season. They've finished bottom 2 in the east in the last 4 seasons.

I've never thought about it but the similarities regarding performance are really there, almost scary

The Pistons struggled terribly when they came into the league for a few decades - same as North

The Bad Boys era in the 80's comparable to our success in the 70s

The early 2000's Pistons (made Conference Finals 2003 - 2008) similar to the 90's team for north, a lot of characters too

2015-2017 - made the playoffs, similar to our 2014-2016 run

Since 2020 have been a complete basket case and can't get near it. Sounds awfully familiar

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the most North club of other sports?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back