What happened during the Blue Ribbon cup?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not saying that at all in any word or structured sentence written in my reply …and you know it.

Grow up.

If we’re gunna honour Cops then we need a round for undervalued RNs and firefighters who cut bodies out of wreaked cars.

Where does it end ?
You do realise that the Blue Ribbon cup was put together on the back of two cops who followed each of the clubs being murdered?

All I take from this is "Congratulations to Rowan Marshall on being adjudged best on ground." The rest is misguided.

"Your team just lost, but winning this award must feel pretty special - tell us how happy you are"

Present a medal/trophy to the winning team captain if you must - but don't expect players from the losing team to speak eloquently immediately after a loss.

I just caught a mention that a player did something ‘inappropriate’ either during or after the game - can anyone fill me in?

He was disappointed his team just lost a close game they were expected to win and being adjudged StKilda's best player (by the Hawthorn president) was probably not something he was in the mood to celebrate right after the game.

As such, he received the medal with a sour expression, didn't say anything, gave it away (to a staffer) abruptly and started walking off the ground while the speeches were still underway (but stopped when he realised it wasn't over).

Probably could have said a quick thanks/acknowledged the significance of the day but still think it's a non-issue. It's hard to speak publically when it's unexpected for most at the best of times, let alone when you are disappointed, immediately following a bad loss. Hell, Karl Amon received the award on the winning team and was pretty reluctant to speak himself.

And I dont care who wins the ANZAC Day medal. Its a regular season game worth 4 Premiership points.
The pie/dons Anzac Day match and preceding ceremony is watched by a massive TV audience all around the country every year.

It’s as big as Day 1 Boxing Day test in most people’s mind.

All I take from this is "Congratulations to Rowan Marshall on being adjudged best on ground." The rest is misguided.

"Your team just lost, but winning this award must feel pretty special - tell us how happy you are"

Present a medal/trophy to the winning team captain if you must - but don't expect players from the losing team to speak eloquently immediately after a loss.
Exactly.

Player speeches are for in-club things and Brownlow night and GF day.

We don’t need to be putting players in a position to say something with meaningless medals and pointless cup presentations.

If they can’t string together a 2 minute monologue as good as Moore can then don’t bother.

Don’t be so ridiculous and childish.

Grow up.
You are quite literally parading around in here declaring that you have no knowledge of a game that was set up in the honor of two murdered policemen, which has taken place for 26 years… and I need to grow up?

Get a mirror.

You are quite literally parading around in here declaring that you have no knowledge of a game that was set up in the honor of two murdered policemen, which has taken place for 26 years… and I need to grow up?

Get a mirror.

And called it meaningless...

Charming fella.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The pie/dons Anzac Day match and preceding ceremony is watched by a massive TV audience all around the country every year.

It’s as big as Day 1 Boxing Day test in most people’s mind.

Public Holiday and shops are closed. Its a game worth 4 Premiership points just like every other regular season game. But I guess if you have won so little over the decades then you think something far more important than it really is.

Families want the medal awarded to honour their loved ones.

Players will struggle accepting something memorialising a tragedy.

It’s not a happy marriage.

Do people struggle to accept the Anzac Medal?
I’ve always seen ANZAC day Footy as a COMMEMORATION - the Memorialisation happens at the dawn service.

It might be semantics, but it’s definitely a different feeling.

(Understand - I’m struggling to put my finger on the difference)

What could you say when receiving the Silk- Miller medal?

Maybe ‘I’m honoured to receive this - their sacrifice should always be remembered’.

It’s not an easy thing to sum up after a footy match. 🤷🏻

Remove this Banner Ad

Back