What do other Bomber supporters do in the off season?

Remove this Banner Ad

I might get some sex.
Not sure though, probably a fair bit of palm v penis.

Dude- if we ever meet please remind me to not shake your hand. Or at least, THAT hand.

Besides- just the off season for sex? Best served up throughout the year I find :cool:

Anyway....

Is anyone else going stir crazy with no Essendon to watch every week? It's been two months since we've played a game now, and it's really starting to get to me!

Today I was briefly up at the club (gotta love the cup day long weekend- two days off work yewwww) with my cousin enquiring about membership. Walking up Napier Street towards the club from Denaro, I walked past Myers, Ross, Hibberd, Davey, Dempsey, Hooker, Dyson and Gumby. Lunchtime evidently. Gumby is a giant :eek:

Got me missing the footy even more. Went and had a good look at the Windy Hill oval, soaking it all up. March 2012 seems so far away right now....cricket just isn't the same anymore. Call me fairweather I guess- as Australia have steadily gone down the drain over the last few years I've found myself less excited for the cricket season with each passing season. The Ashes last year was torture..

I don't think I've been so excited for a footy season as 2012.

Anyone else suffering serious footy withdrawals?

Dude- if we ever meet please remind me to not shake your hand. Or at least, THAT hand.

Besides- just the off season for sex? Best served up throughout the year I find :cool:

Anyway....

Is anyone else going stir crazy with no Essendon to watch every week? It's been two months since we've played a game now, and it's really starting to get to me!

Today I was briefly up at the club (gotta love the cup day long weekend- two days off work yewwww) with my cousin enquiring about membership. Walking up Napier Street towards the club from Denaro, I walked past Myers, Ross, Hibberd, Davey, Dempsey, Hooker, Dyson and Gumby. Lunchtime evidently. Gumby is a giant :eek:

Got me missing the footy even more. Went and had a good look at the Windy Hill oval, soaking it all up. March 2012 seems so far away right now....cricket just isn't the same anymore. Call me fairweather I guess- as Australia have steadily gone down the drain over the last few years I've found myself less excited for the cricket season with each passing season. The Ashes last year was torture..

I don't think I've been so excited for a footy season as 2012.

Anyone else suffering serious footy withdrawals?

Yeah

You often catch the boys in the coffee shops around Napier St.

Unsure if there are any coffee shops near the new training facility.

Yeah

You often catch the boys in the coffee shops around Napier St.

Unsure if there are any coffee shops near the new training facility.

Knowing the (admittedly limited) amount I do about the Tullamarine area, I wouldn't think it would exactly be awash with cafes and the like. It's really an area of airports, freeways, roads and industrial zones. With some houses thrown in.

The 'gentrification' of Essendon happened a long time ago. Don't think Tulla has quite caught up yet..

The NFL and collegiate football hasn't been able to really keep me happy. Idk if its the horrible refs or if it's cause the teams I hate seem to be doing okay.

I've started watching EPL as well.

Is it March yet?

..........cricket just isn't the same anymore. Call me fairweather I guess- as Australia have steadily gone down the drain over the last few years I've found myself less excited for the cricket season with each passing season. The Ashes last year was torture............

Personally, I thought it was the best series ever ............even better than 2005 and 2009 :D

As for my AFL off season..........well August to May is football (or soccer as you call it); so I'll be watching my hometown club, Southport as we try and survive in the Blue Square Premier League.

Plus, thanks to satellite tv, a little bit of NFL and NHL.

Personally, I thought it was the best series ever ............even better than 2005 and 2009 :D
Ha, I bet you did.

What's interesting is that I know a surprisingly large amount of people here who felt the same- it seems to be a perversely Australian condition that we sometimes almost join the opposition and barrack against our own when they're not doing well. Perhaps, more than anything, it was that Australians sensed that the cricket team still thought and acted like they were good, when the English quite clearly showed them up as being a sh1t side (not taking credit away from England, but they're ordinary). They had the attitude of the great teams of yesteryear, but with only half the ability and guts...

2005 was the best series I've seen. Just amazing.

2009 was the most frustrating series I've ever watched. Australia dominated individually and statistically, but turned out two catastrophically rubbish sessions during the series (Lord's and The Oval), and those two rubbish sessions cost them the series.

2010/11 was just embarrassing.

Personally, I prefer to recall 2006/07 ;)

2005 was the best series I've seen. Just amazing.

2009 was the most frustrating series I've ever watched. Australia dominated individually and statistically, but turned out two catastrophically rubbish sessions during the series (Lord's and The Oval), and those two rubbish sessions cost them the series.
Agree, word for word.

2009 leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, because I still think we were the better side overall, whereas 2010/11 England were clearly better.

And 2005, despite us losing, is the best test series I've ever seen. Just beautiful cricket.

Agree, word for word.

2009 leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, because I still think we were the better side overall, whereas 2010/11 England were clearly better.

And 2005, despite us losing, is the best test series I've ever seen. Just beautiful cricket.

concur. Brilliant and Tragic.
Ps we should have won, Kaspowitz was not out.. hit high up on his arm. No hard feelings though*

*FU england

I cry like a bitch wishing the season would hurry up and start!
Especially now im expecting to win more than we lose , ive got real hopes for 2012 , i dont think we will win the flag but we'll give it a shake!:thumbsu:

concur. Brilliant and Tragic.
Ps we should have won, Kaspowitz was not out.. hit high up on his arm. No hard feelings though*

*FU england

And more importantly his hand was off his bat.

As for my AFL off season..........well August to May is football (or soccer as you call it); so I'll be watching my hometown club, Southport as we try and survive in the Blue Square Premier League.

Plus, thanks to satellite tv, a little bit of NFL and NHL.
Isn't that the league below league 2?

When does our summer of test cricket start? Not playing or watching is annoying. I await the start of test cricket eagerly

First test against New Zealand should begin about the end of November. That's usually when the first test is...

Until a few years ago, at least the one-day domestic competition was on free to air at the start (and very end) of the cricket season. Now even that's gone. Poor form, channel nine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, word for word.

Flintoff's over to Ponting at Edgbaston still captivates me - if only he didn't bowl that no ball. :p I remember getting as vibe on radio that Harmy would get Clarke (who I thought was our last hope) out in that last over before stumps. If we won that second Test we would have won the series 4-1 or 5-0 tbh.

The India 2004 series was out greatest ever win in recent times for mine. Compelling stuff - and back when people watched Test cricket in India.

Isn't that the league below league 2?

When does our summer of test cricket start? Not playing or watching is annoying. I await the start of test cricket eagerly

We start late (December 1) because of shitty SA tour which is ridiculous - although the 2 Tests are on ABC radio.

I actually prefer Test cricket to the other forms, I just don't care about T20 and ODI cricket.

We start late (December 1) because of shitty SA tour which is ridiculous - although the 2 Tests are on ABC radio.

I actually prefer Test cricket to the other forms, I just don't care about T20 and ODI cricket.
Why are we playing 2 pointless tests in SA? Although playing 2 then 6 then 3 in the world will be good. If we win all three we'd be 2 in the world easily, yeah? What the side for the first NZ test should be IMO:

Hughes
Watson
Marsh
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
Harris
Siddle
Copeland
Lyon

But they'll put Johnson in for Siddle no doubt, even though he's in shocking form

Why are we playing 2 pointless tests in SA? Although playing 2 then 6 then 3 in the world will be good. If we win all three we'd be 2 in the world easily, yeah? What the side for the first NZ test should be IMO:

Hughes
Watson
Marsh
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
Harris
Siddle
Copeland
Lyon

But they'll put Johnson in for Siddle no doubt, even though he's in shocking form

I'm a Johnson basher, but I thing he'll be right up there in the SA tour taking wickets. SA don't want to give up there Boxing Day Test in front of 5,000 people so that has caused the shit scheduling.

TBH I don't see how Copeland adds more value than Butterworth who is a lot better batsman.

Yes it is the league below League 2 .............. there are 24 teams in this league, and we're one of only 4 teams who are part time............... hence why survival is all we can hope for, yet we currently lie 7th in the table .
Do you play Johnstones Paint Trophy too? And do you have the 3-6 playlets ala League 1, 2 and championship?
I'm a Johnson basher, but I thing he'll be right up there in the SA tour taking wickets. SA don't want to give up there Boxing Day Test in front of 5,000 people so that has caused the shit scheduling.

TBH I don't see how Copeland adds more value than Butterworth who is a lot better batsman.
If he's selected. Shit schedule, agreed

Copelands bowling>Butterworths bowling

I'm an unabashed T20 hater. Just cannot stand that bastardised joke of a game. ODIs, I've got more time for.

Test cricket is the best by a very, very long way though.

I'm glad three tests are being played after the new year, I have to say. One of the things I dislike when the poms come out here is that the tests are all over by January 7. This year, they go to the end of January almost. Much better.

They should make the Ashes test series six matches and give Hobart an Ashes test! Doubt that will ever happen though.

Are Australia touring overseas anywhere after the end of our season? I know we have the T2O world cup in June, but I thought I remember hearing some time ago that Australia was due another visit to the West Indies in 2012?

Nothing set in stone. But yes 3 Tests and 5 ODIs against the Windies. Then ridiculous ODI games - bloody stupid. We play England and Pakistan for 5 ODIs each, before hosting South Africa and then Sri Lanka. So looks like there will be the lowest Boxing Day crowd me thinks. Oh the Windes come for 5 ODIs before we tour India for 4 Tests. At least there's no 7 match series on the agenda, but there should only he 3 for mine.

Last year I tried to get into the cricket but even though it was ok I'm just not really into it, I'm not sure if I'll watch any this year. Will watch some of my old Essendon dvds and I still have Ess v Geelong and Sydney games from 2011 recorded on my foxtel. Other than that there isn't too much to interest me until the Australian Open (tennis) rolls around next year. I don't struggle too badly though until after the draft and the excitement of the new draftees wears off. The hardest part is that December - Jan period, where other than a few videos/training reports/hype articles there's not much to keep me interested. I've also been watching some other sports like Volleyball/Squash/Table Tennis which are all fairly interesting to me.

Do you play Johnstones Paint Trophy too? And do you have the 3-6 playlets ala League 1, 2 and championship?

We play in the Blue Square Premier (obviously) and the top team automatically go up into League 2 ...... positions 2nd to 5th play-off to get the second promotion place.

At the other end, 4 get relegated and are replaced by teams from the Blue Square North and Blue Square South.

As for cups, we enter the FA Cup ( at the 4th Qualifying Round stage). Also enter the FA Trophy, Lancashire Junior Cup and Liverpool Senior Cup (we are the current holders having beaten Everton Reserves in the final).

Remove this Banner Ad

What do other Bomber supporters do in the off season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back