Remove this Banner Ad

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Swan Districts.
As an outsider looking into the club I am genuinely confused as to what they're doing with their list, they haven't bottomed out yet, they still have numerous older players yet to hang up the boots, yet they've decided to bring in 3 mature age players, and opted to trade away their #3 draft pick when ideally this is the time they'd be trying to stock pile young players and develop them as part of their future core, do they genuinely believe they can make one last gasp effort for finals?

I don't know, the Fremantle supporter in me would be happy to see them down the bottom for years to come, but the objective part of me is just wondering whether this is strategic or pure incompetence on their behalf?

Maybe they saw the player they wanted being around at pick 12
Whilst being able to grab two experienced players

Bold move!

As they already have a centerpiece in Reid to build around. Wouldve thought instilling confidence in him with some other top line players around his age being a priority

They’re trying to get better without being complete shizen. Makes sense to me.

What doesn’t make sense is trading out Pick 3 when they really didn’t need to, Pyke then claiming that they will still get a good player later in the first round, only for their list manager to say after trade deadline that they will try to trade up. 🤪

There's probably been a handshake deal done where we'll trade some of these future picks for Richmond's current haul, and end up with a first rounder for the upcoming draft, maybe even come out ahead a bit in these deal. Maybe the future pick 1 we have for their pick 10 and something else.

Theres plenty of examples in history of teams trading out picks for established players. Hawthorn's dynasty was largely attributed this ffs. Not suggesting we're anywhere even close to finals.

As an outsider looking into the club I am genuinely confused as to what they're doing with their list, they haven't bottomed out yet, they still have numerous older players yet to hang up the boots, yet they've decided to bring in 3 mature age players, and opted to trade away their #3 draft pick when ideally this is the time they'd be trying to stock pile young players and develop them as part of their future core, do they genuinely believe they can make one last gasp effort for finals?

I don't know, the Fremantle supporter in me would be happy to see them down the bottom for years to come, but the objective part of me is just wondering whether this is strategic or pure incompetence on their behalf?

It's been pretty much explained.

They wanted Hawks 14 plus extras to land Baker.

Hawks lost patience and traded 14.

Eagles had to pivot and get the deal done as a commitment was made to Baker.

That deal turned into a sh!t fight because Hawks played silly buggers. Player manager ripped them a new one.

The pick 3 split was done as plan B and Owies was the steak knives in the deal, nothing more. And he was offered a contract so wouldn't be a DFA and likely Richmond would have nabbed him in the PSD. Owies is a Cripps replacement for the Eagles. One year left for Cripps Max.

Eagles were looking for support for the kids and to set standards. They landed Graham for free to help Reid and Kelly.

Baker at half back.

Owies the gut running pressure forward.

Once all the other deals were done the Eagles went back to the Hawks and stared them down after having the rug pulled in day 2. The Hawks paid a massive price for Barrass. MASSIVE.

Hawthorns fans won't agree but in reality the Hawks gave up close to their entire original 2025 draft hand for a 29 year old full back with back issues. F1st plus F2nd plus F3rd with a 4th going back. Ouch.

Right now the Eagles have the most picks and points in 2025 based on 2024 ladder positions. They can easily trade into the 2024 draft either on draft night or prior to.

They have the flexibility to trade their F1st and bring it forward and still retain enough picks for a Warner trade next year.

Will be surprised if they hold the same picks now and use them on draft night.

Yeah I don't really like what they've done. Think they should have brought in another top line mid (Lalor or Smith) and traded in experienced role players over the next few years with 2nd round picks and onwards. There is a balance of course, I'm just not sure they've done it right.

That deal turned into a sh!t fight because Hawks played silly buggers. Player manager ripped them a new one.

The pick 3 split was done as plan B and Owies was the steak knives in the deal, nothing more. And he was offered a contract so wouldn't be a DFA and likely Richmond would have nabbed him in the PSD. Owies is a Cripps replacement for the Eagles. One year left for Cripps Max.

Eagles were looking for support for the kids and to set standards. They landed Graham for free to help Reid and Kelly.

Baker at half back.

Once all the other deals were done the Eagles went back to the Hawks and stared them down after having the rug pulled in day 2. The Hawks paid a massive price for Barrass. MASSIVE.

Hawthorns fans won't agree but in reality the Hawks gave up close to their entire original 2025 draft hand for a 29 year old full back with back issues. F1st plus F2nd plus F3rd with a 4th going back. Ouch.

Right now the Eagles have the most picks and points in 2025 based on 2024 ladder positions. They can easily trade into the 2024 draft either on draft night or prior to.

They have the flexibility to trade their F1st and bring it forward and still retain enough picks for a Warner trade next year.

Hi Don

You cannot be serious with that spin

Baker at half back.

Yep this, Hawks played silly buggers and the end result is their entire original 2025 hand is gone, and they traded out of the strong draft cohort around the pick 10-15 area this year for a late 1st and late 2nd rounder in a highly compromised draft next year. All for a 29 year old KPD who does have some health issues. Barrass is a great get but there is some risk.

1.Pure incompetence
2.Didn't have the balls to call off two bad trades when it was obvious to everyone but them

Including this draft, they will have only had 5 top 20 picks across the last 4 drafts and only 2 of them being top 10.

That’s not enough top end talent acquisition for a team who has been as bad as them for the last 3 seasons.

It’s hard to judge where this rebuild is at because they don’t seem super committed to a particular strategy.

My issue with this trade period is entirely the Baker move, he's both too old and we overpaid for him for the type of player he is. He's simultaneously not an accumulator or a high impact per possession type.

We could have targeted cheaper and younger trade options who with increased opportunities matched Baker for short-term production with more years. I'll disregard Owies as he's essentially been swapped for Darling.

I'm also concerned about Chad Warner and short-termism that comes into effect should be pursue him. A club that isn't fully invested in the draft as it's means to building a squad will never achieve the volume of picks to build the nucleus of a premiership side. Established players come at a premium compared to successful draft selections.

I would take these picks to the 2025 draft (we've got the best hand going on 2024 order), and with a strong group coming through WA next year should capitalise on it. The last time we had a bumper crop of WA players we traded in Kelly and missed out on an opportunity to draft Warner. I would be disappointed if we took the same approach next year and used Warner to seek competitiveness over long-term success.

Including this draft, they will have only had 5 top 20 picks across the last 4 drafts and only 2 of them being top 10.

That’s not enough top end talent acquisition for a team who has been as bad as them for the last 3 seasons.

It’s hard to judge where this rebuild is at because they don’t seem super committed to a particular strategy.

Hewett IMO should have been a top five pick, and if he gets his body right i believe he'll prove that. The biggest problem West Coast has had over the last 2 years has been North's compensation picks and NGA/ FS prospects in the first round.

Next year West Coast has priority access to 3 players in Walley, Banfield and Evans, all three are good prospects.

Yep this, Hawks played silly buggers and the end result is their entire original 2025 hand is gone, and they traded out of the strong draft cohort around the pick 10-15 area this year for a late 1st and late 2nd rounder in a highly compromised draft next year. All for a 29 year old KPD who does have some health issues. Barrass is a great get but there is some risk.

A big price to pay for a team that also should still be looking to build through the draft IMO. In a few years I think the Hawks will be regretting this trade period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A big price to pay for a team that also should still be looking to build through the draft IMO. In a few years I think the Hawks will be regretting this trade period.
I think their surprisingly good second half of the year caused them to rush a bit. I agree they might have gone hard for experienced players 1 year too early as you say.
They have solid players all over the ground and a game style that was a little different. The game style can be solved.
Imo they lack a bit of top tier talent to go all the way, but time will tell

You both have no idea what you’re talking about. We effectively only traded pick 14 and swapped a 3rd round pick for WCE 4th round pick and brought in Battle and Barrass…

We still have Carlton’s 1st and 2nd in next years drafts

You both have no idea what you’re talking about. We effectively only traded pick 14 and swapped a 3rd round pick for WCE 4th round pick and brought in Battle and Barrass…

We still have Carlton’s 1st and 2nd in next years drafts
Battle has nothing to do with Barrass, you had Battle locked in then went and paid up for Barrass after. You couldve taken your win and left it alone.
You traded basically entirely out of next years draft, and traded your first pick 14 in a strong draft into next year for likely a late teens pick and a mid-late 30s pick with all the academy and f/s picks going next year.

Idk if thats actually a win for you guys

Love the Eagles spin lol.

We traded the equivalent of Pick 14 and a F3 with a F4 coming back for Barrass.

Not sure why the Eagles list manager completely sharted himself and traded pick 3. Real noodle scratcher that one. Then finally blinks when they realise they aren't getting the two first round picks they demanded.

I don't have a problem with them getting Baker. My problem is they got unders for pick 3, and paid overs for Baker. I think they got fair value for Barrass.

Just not very good business.

Also big LOL how they rejected 12 and 14 for pick 3 but suddenly a soon to be DFA in Matt Owies becomes the kingmaker in the deal.

Hawthorn played their cards well. Still have a full suite of picks next season. Eagles are left with one of the weaker draft hands in 2024 (pretty scary for a club early on in their rebuild) but at least they will have some options next season.

Not a fan of what they've done but it doesn't appear as though they don't have any plan.

My best guess is that firstly, they didn't expect Hawthorn to jump the shark and trade 14, so that threw a spanner in the works for this year obviously, however we are now fairly stacked for next year.

Gives us a few options:

1. Go to the draft with the extra picks we have and have a big turnover. More WA talent in the draft next year also + 1 father son and academy picks.

2. Make a play for Warner, who may have already indicated his desire to come.

3. Heaps of FS/academy picks next year, so can package up a bunch of picks to move up next year. The very top end of the draft is meant to be much better than this year but nowhere near as deep.

4. Bringing in the older blokes raises the 'floor' of our list fairly significantly. Whilst no world beaters, they should go a fair way to limit the damage and make us much more competitive as a side, so I can understand the logic in that.

Seems like they're trying to make the team better for next year, whilst bringing in 2 blokes to help with implementing a new game and raise the overall competitiveness of the side.

Currently hold the best hand for next year with a better top end + Warner play, so still have the opportunity to have a decent dip before Tassie enters the scene.

I don't love it but can understand the logic behind it.

It's a lower % play theoretically by bringing in talent via later draft picks but North have filled their bags and still been worse than us, other than last year where we could barely field a side at times.

Perhaps the club's decided to go the mature route first, so that future kids actually have positive mentors, instead of the North route of pushing them all out, bringing in young talent that struggles to develop, then realising it after a few years later and trying to bring them in all at once?

Far easier for young players to develop when the standards are already there, as opposed to relying on their talent to shine for a few years, then bringing in the senior talent to show them the way.

Battle has nothing to do with Barrass, you had Battle locked in then went and paid up for Barrass after. You couldve taken your win and left it alone.
You traded basically entirely out of next years draft, and traded your first pick 14 in a strong draft into next year for likely a late teens pick and a mid-late 30s pick with all the academy and f/s picks going next year.

Idk if thats actually a win for you guys

It's already been mentioned that we still have a first, second and fourth rounder for the 2025 draft.

I realize that this is lost on you because in your efforts to deflect from West Coast's puzzling decision to bring in the vanilla Baker while parting with pick 3, you've gotten your undies in a twist.

We already have the two players we needed this year, and they're ready to go (Barrass and Battle). We're a contender, we were short in one area of the ground: Key Defensive Stocks.

Our window is open now, we have young defenders on the list. But they'll take a while.

The lack of KD stocks arguably cost us a Semi win (along with the untimely injuries we had). On paper it might have cost us a shot at another flag.

So in short, you're engaging your butt rather than your brain with this nonsense.

And this is a thread about WC to boot......

It's already been mentioned that we still have a first, second and fourth rounder for the 2025 draft.
I didnt say you dont have picks next year, you did trade out your own entire draft hand next year.
You moved your good pick in a srong draft into the future for a late teens + mid 30s pick
You traded your first pick 14 in a strong draft into next year for likely a late teens pick and a mid-late 30s pick, thats not great.
I realize that this is lost on you because in your efforts to deflect from West Coast's puzzling decision to bring in the vanilla Baker while parting with pick 3, you've gotten your undies in a twist.
Considering GWS rejected a trade of 3 for 15+16 that we offered them, I think im ok with having pick 12. The draft doesnt appear to be as strong as the media makes out, in fact I know it isnt, its just deep/even. The top end isnt that great compared to a normal draft.

I didnt say you dont have picks next year, you did trade out your own entire draft hand next year.

Our draft hand for next year is the one I listed. We still have it, and you're not going to change anyone's mind on that.

You moved your good pick in a srong draft into the future for a late teens + mid 30s pick
You traded your first pick 14 in a strong draft into next year for likely a late teens pick and a mid-late 30s pick, thats not great.

Considering GWS rejected a trade of 3 for 15+16 that we offered them, I think im ok with having pick 12. The draft doesnt appear to be as strong as the media makes out, in fact I know it isnt, its just deep/even. The top end isnt that great compared to a normal draft.

It doesn't look like you're sure of what is going on.

We understand that it's tough to watch your club throw away early picks on guys like Baker. But take a few deep breaths before coming on here to drag another club into a poorly thought out defense of your own.

Baker at half back.

It’s not so much the trade stuff as it is the process , just about every rebuild side ever has a couple of years where they have the talent to compete but are just too young and green

WC can talk about the age of the list as a whole all they like but your B22 last year was consistently in the top half for age and your F+B top 10 wasn’t a great look for a side meant to be building up

Bringing in experienced players like these 3 is just burning games that should be going into young players and next year and the one after should be your too young to compete but we are totally focused on building years

My 2 bobs worth anyways

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

What are West Coast trying to do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back