Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Connor MacDonald! Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

C-Mac1 and C-Mac2 both looking good.

Are there any more in the draft this year?
Maybe they were thinking B-Mac’s could similarly be successful? Bailey’s showed a couple of good things thus far.

Honestly though, if we find any more -Mac’s, the Hawks should probably be lobbying Macca’s for a sponsorship!!

I am excited by Butler’s attributes and what he could turn into - see him as a big part of our future.

Definitely agree there too, I was over the moon when he was drafted because on top of everything else, he had standout athleticism as well. He's got that crazy old man strength at a really young age like Hodge did (Lipinski's shoulder would likely agree with this). Probably fell into Getafix's Cauldron at some point when he was a baby is my guess.

Really liked Conners game Thursday.
One of the best he's played.
Very impactful.
Supercoach isn't a good metric for actual value but when you only have 17 touches but still score in the 90's it does tell a story of just how clean and effective his touches are.

I see a lot of Gulden in the way he plays.

Supercoach isn't a good metric for actual value but when you only have 17 touches but still score in the 90's it does tell a story of just how clean and effective his touches are.

I see a lot of Gulden in the way he plays.

They could play the same roles in the side, though I think MacDonald is classier whilst Gulden is more tenacious.

Connor MacDonald is an absolute class act. He just oozes classy skills. He needs to improve his kicking efficiency, but I don't see much wrong with his actual kicking technique. Him and Cam Mackenzie moving off the half-forward flank into the midfield is going to be very exciting to watch.

Conner is so very impressive. He does what the best players do and that is the look around at the field and see the position of every player (within reason) and how he can affect a contest to get the ball to the teams advantage.

He needs time to become a midfielder but eventually, for the rest of the competition they will find … the sleeper will awaken… and he will become a top 50 player.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone needs to miss out if Macdonald gets more midfield time. Who do you pull out to get Connor in? For example, Frenchie only had 6 CBAs last week. Do we want more or less of him

Think Connor is learning the game well as that high forward and his midfield time will come

Someone needs to miss out if Macdonald gets more midfield time. Who do you pull out to get Connor in? For example, Frenchie only had 6 CBAs last week. Do we want more or less of him

Think Connor is learning the game well as that high forward and his midfield time will come
As i mentioned earlier. Frenchie is not playing every game in the middle his midfield minutes will be managed so he can play out the year. Its Just CMAC was managed last year

As i mentioned earlier. Frenchie is not playing every game in the middle his midfield minutes will be managed so he can play out the year. Its Just CMAC was managed last year
Sensible player management, and good coaching

My point though with Connor is that for him to get that increase in minutes, someone misses.

Yes it seems we are developing Connor on the half forward line
As much as I love Connor, and think he will be gun player, playing him purely as half forward means less forward pressure which results in quick ball transition from our forward to defence. That's pressurising our defence.

We should think of playing Butler if that helps or pressure which is non-existent atm

As much as I love Connor, and think he will be gun player, playing him purely as half forward means less forward pressure which results in quick ball transition from our forward to defence. That's pressurising our defence.

We should think of playing Butler if that helps or pressure which is non-existent atm
Yes look i understand you're thinking but its more for Connor's development he can not play Mid the whole game

Tough one. If he can’t defend as a hff then will he as a mid? Is a different role but Connor seems to get lost on transition - which will happen in midfield as well.

We have a long season ahead - will be heaps of time to rotate young guys through the midfield but we need the forward line and defensive structures to improve which may mean butler is preferred. Would also be interested to see how he went as a primary mid at BH.

Connor is an interesting watch.

Had a great game against Coll in the lead in but has struggled to get involved in the 2 games we've been flogged.
Could be a victim of our poor ball use.

I thought he would be getting more midfield looks this season but so far is locked in at half forward. McKenzie seems to have leap frogged him into the rotations.

Hopefully he continues to develope, seems a handy player with an unknown ceiling.

Maybe Conor needs to learn that playing AFL requires a bit more of a defensive mindset than junior footy?

He’s not Robinson Crusoe in that regard ATM

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Connor MacDonald! Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back