Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

How do I get more motivated to do strength training - any advice? At the moment I get in twice a week and do what I have to do but frankly I don't enjoy it. Not really interested in "getting swole" as I feel like I'm fine now and don't want to add bulk to impede my running.

What's some common non-aesthetic goals people set to guage improvement with strength work? One rep max tests for squats and other things?
Wouldn't be any different to your running though, you're trying to beat your previous time (weight) over time etc. Literally the same self motivation just for strength/weights not times

Vascularity, is it just genetics and low BF% or is there more to it?
I have that great but it's just genetics mainly I'd say along with low fat % in the arms.

Big downside is it's rather challenging to put on any size.

I have that great but it's just genetics mainly I'd say along with low fat % in the arms.

Big downside is it's rather challenging to put on any size.
I've got lots of vascularity and it's primarily genetics for me, although does get a little more pronounced when I get leaner for summer. Inherited from my mother (and in turn from her father). Their genes are the upside of lean, with the corresponding downside of hard to put on size and Raynaud's (poor circulation). Still on the whole more good than bad from mostly getting genes from mum's side of the family. Never an issue finding a vein if need one for a needle.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20240923_231312_WhatsApp.jpg 20240923_201008.jpg

Got a decent tax return back

Sold a couple of things, reinvested big time with ATX stuff with a particular build in mind, definitely recommend, worth paying up the current day inflated premium on.

My plate loaded lat pulldown just absolutely shits over smaller cheaper models, my model is 70x70mm 11 gauge steel and mainly uses M16 hardware in key construction areas (M12 elsewhere), costs $1450 before shipping but well worth it, everything is an upgrade than a more budget model, more range of motion, better weight carriage system/guide rods, better weight capacity, weighs about 90kgs it barely moves, massive footrests for rows on the floor. Budget options may be about $500 but they'll be 50x50mm steel held together by M10 hardware, weigh like 40kgs and will have tiny ROMs and weight capacities.

Also bought these squat stands with jammer arms, will buy more attachments for the squat stands in due course, but the big pull with these is that they're easy to move around, can wheel them outside for OHPs and they'll likely be good enough to train out of whenever I part with my power rack (I've given up with that particular brand, they won't upgrade their line and there's not much on the market in terms of 3rd parties attachments that are compatible unless I pay huge $$$ from small American fabricators, I felt it wasn't worth it and ATX fit the bill for what I want to achieve. The jammer arms are ok for chest exercises (once I can reinforce the stands with the squat braces I'll start using bands and that should improve the strength curve), but shoulder exercises feel really good with them, hopefully rows and shrugs will be decent too once I get around to doing them

I kinda want a mobile setup where I can easily move things around, but have a heap of training options where I can train every body part effectively and not need to go back to gym ever again, these ATX purchases are also bought in mind where as a renter I will not have to sell crucial pieces whenever I move, I might part with some free weights or something (my dumbbell set or power rack are probably obvious sells some day), but my new stuff can be whacked in a spare room or smaller garage and I'll still be able to get decent workouts in with a little bit of improvisation and setup time.

Next purchases will likely be an attachment bench, with bench attachments and a few things for those squat stands, then I'll sit back and see if the power rack is worth having still or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back