Toast Warren Tredrea - Elected to the Port Board (Football discussion only)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is where the schism lies.

We don’t win nearly enough when it matters.

But I fear the likes of Koch, Cassisi and Cardone agree with you when it comes to the crunch.
Yep, the regular season wins are so hollow and mean zero.

Go back through the 80s and 90s Magpies games we won in the regular season, and I couldn't remember stuff all. Because after the sugar hit of the moment, no one cares.

To think you'd prefer to just keep the status quo of ultimate failure because you enjoy the sugar hits is crazy.

If as a football club we aren't trying things all the time including coaches, to find that magic formula to win a flag, then we're failing in our entire duty of existing to win premierships. I don't care if we bounce up and down a bit if we're at least giving success a crack.

Right now as a club we've lost our way. We're not showing any bravery. We gone to a mediocrity accepting mess that exists to be competitive, and give the successful clubs a side to play against and beat.

That Hawthorn game was a family favourite for us - but I'm not paying 6 memberships a year to see us go backwards. I like how much we win - I don't like losing finals but I definitely prefer to get to them. The whole idea of a new coach for me is a coach that gets us to a grand final otherwise why bother changing?
The Hawks was solid, but the game lost any favourite tag when the next week's result occurred. No one will remember that game in 10 years.

I think that Minor premierships should be more important than they are considered. I believe they are quite an achievement, tbh.

However, they would still be secondary to the Major premierships. I just see the season split in two, and winning the first shouldn’t be worthless.

Another relevant part of the Minor Round is giving you a better shot at the flag. History shows that it’s way better finishing in the Top-3 than between 4th and 8th. Hence, doing well in the Minor Round helps your odds entering the Finals tournament.

Having said that, if you keep doing a good work in the Minor Round, but is unable to sustain it during Finals, you may be GOOD (and I would argue that you indeed are); but you do NOT have what it takes to be GREAT.

In this business, good is not good enough.

Go back through the 80s and 90s Magpies games we won in the regular season, and I couldn't remember stuff all. Because after the sugar hit of the moment, no one cares.

To think you'd prefer to just keep the status quo of ultimate failure because you enjoy the sugar hits is crazy.

If as a football club we aren't trying things all the time including coaches, to find that magic formula to win a flag, then we're failing in our entire duty of existing to win premierships. I don't care if we bounce up and down a bit if we're at least giving success a crack.

Right now as a club we've lost our way. We're not showing any bravery. We gone to a mediocrity accepting mess that exists to be competitive, and give the successful clubs a side to play against and beat.

It’s worth noting that between 2015-2018, Brisbane finished 17th, 17th, 18th and 15th with 4, 3, 5 & 5 respectively.

A total of 17 wins across 4 years.

We’re still being told to remember 2011-2012.

It’s sick.

It’s worth noting that between 2015-2018, Brisbane finished 17th, 17th, 18th and 15th with 4, 3, 5 & 5 respectively.

A total of 17 wins across 4 years.

We’re still being told to remember 2011-2012.

It’s sick.

If nothing else, sacking Hinkley will enable us to break the nexus between the present and that actually relatively short period over a decade ago. We need to move the heck on.

I think that Minor premierships should be more important than they are considered. I believe they are quite an achievement, tbh.

However, they would still be secondary to the Major premierships. I just see the season split in two, and winning the first shouldn’t be worthless.

Another relevant part of the Minor Round is giving you a better shot at the flag. History shows that it’s way better finishing in the Top-3 than between 4th and 8th. Hence, doing well in the Minor Round helps your odds entering the Finals tournament.

Having said that, if you keep doing a good work in the Minor Round, but is unable to sustain it during Finals, you may be GOOD (and I would argue that you indeed are); but you do NOT have what it takes to be GREAT.

In this business, good is not good enough.
I agree, but given they aren't, it has that flow on effect of only the finals matters

Agreed re the vast majority of regular season wins being forgotten within a few days, as most of my memories are about winning, and sometimes losing finals.

I have virtually zero memories of any minor round games except for one game at Alberton in about 1960 when a young bloke of about 10 or 11 broke his leg on the outer wing during the half time interval when someone brought a footy on the ground and there were about 200 kids including yours truly trying to get a kick, Eric Freeman kicking 15 goals at Woodville in the early 1970's, and a very vague memory of the 1953 gf loss to West Torrens of walking out of the ground with my grand parents, my grand father stopping to talk to his nephew near what is now the Victor Richardson gates and the sombre mood in the car on the approx 1 hour drive home.

I have fairly vivid memories of the last qtr of the 1954 gf win over the deadlegs which was obviously the first of the 6 in a row, and other wins in that era including the westies bloke hitting the post just before the siren went in that game with the Maggies only about 4 points in front, and another win over them when Geoff Motley who was playing poorly in the centre was moved to the half forward flank by Fos in the 2nd half where he kicked 7 goals, plus another 3 flags in first half of the 1960's, and obviously the drought ending 1977 flag, and Jack Cahill's very successful 2nd coaching stint from the late 1980's.

That 2004 AFL flag under Choco was also special, but I still believe we should have made at least 1 other gf in the early 2000's.

Re the current situation, far too much fuss has been made in the Hinkley era by the hierarchy re minor round wins, obviously they are requirement to make the finals but regardless of regular additions to hopefully improve the team it continues to crash out of contention in the games that really matter, and sometimes without even a whimper.

The job done vibes given off by koch in particular and also Richardson is as non Port Adelaide as it gets, somehow Tredders has to get the message through to other members of the board that nothing will change under the current coach, and 2024 was NOT a successful season!

Agreed re the vast majority of regular season wins being forgotten within a few days, as most of my memories are about winning, and sometimes losing finals.

I have virtually zero memories of any minor round games except for one game at Alberton in about 1960 when a young bloke of about 10 or 11 broke his leg on the outer wing during the half time interval when someone brought a footy on the ground and there were about 200 kids including yours truly trying to get a kick, Eric Freeman kicking 15 goals at Woodville in the early 1970's, and a very vague memory of the 1953 gf loss to West Torrens of walking out of the ground with my grand parents, my grand father stopping to talk to his nephew near what is now the Victor Richardson gates and the sombre mood in the car on the approx 1 hour drive home.

I have fairly vivid memories of the last qtr of the 1954 gf win over the deadlegs which was obviously the first of the 6 in a row, and other wins in that era including the westies bloke hitting the post just before the siren went in that game with the Maggies only about 4 points in front, and another win over them when Geoff Motley who was playing poorly in the centre was moved to the half forward flank by Fos in the 2nd half where he kicked 7 goals, plus another 3 flags in first half of the 1960's, and obviously the drought ending 1977 flag, and Jack Cahill's very successful 2nd coaching stint from the late 1980's.

That 2004 AFL flag under Choco was also special, but I still believe we should have made at least 1 other gf in the early 2000's.

Re the current situation, far too much fuss has been made in the Hinkley era by the hierarchy re minor round wins, obviously they are requirement to make the finals but regardless of regular additions to hopefully improve the team it continues to crash out of contention in the games that really matter, and sometimes without even a whimper.

The job done vibes given off by koch in particular and also Richardson is as non Port Adelaide as it gets, somehow Tredders has to get the message through to other members of the board that nothing will change under the current coach, and 2024 was NOT a successful season!
Bloody Hell '54, you've jangled the few remaining brain cells with that early reminiscing. Westies hitting the right hand goal post at the northern end was a 'right in front of me' moment. Won't go on as you have covered the high points of Grand Finals so well.

With that back ground, I cannot and perhaps will never will, reconcile the Koch/Hinkley management with that of the Port Adelaide of the 50's, 60's and 70's. Yes, times (always) change but quality does not.

The Koch/Hinkley era will never be respected as were those of the years you have mentioned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Warren Tredrea - Elected to the Port Board (Football discussion only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back