Play Nice WADA v Essendon 34: Guilty, 2 Yr Susp. (backdated to Mar 2015). Affects 17 current AFL plyrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought I'd be satisfied after hearing the news yesterday but the way the day played out I'm not. I'm furious.

The AFL and their affiliates in the media are corrupt. Nobody should be defending Essendon or their players. Nobody should be questioning the sanction. There are 17 other teams who've had their code dragged through the mud. There are teams who've done far less and been penalised far worse. There are fans from all 18 teams that have been let down, particularly Essendon's. Don't talk about the players wages being paid while under sanction, instead offer Essendon's members a refund.
Maybe it's time members used something like crowd-sourced funding to challenge the AFL on behalf of their clubs? I know I'd contribute.

Too many clubs are now either directly or indirectly controlled by the "independent" commission for them to ever do it.

The clubs that aren't beholden have too much to lose. Besides they often benefit most from commission's flexibility on impartiality (as we're about to see with Essendon).

Someone needs to do something. The AFL is a mess.

Tracey Holmes on 3AW right now, rightfully being called out as a cringeworthy James Hird sympathiser with some of the uncomfortable rhetoric she's using. James Hird is a victim of the mafia media! Tune in to her special interview on Sunday to hear "the real truth!"

Spare me.
More details please of exactly what was said and who said it.

I really believe the AFL has not got a true gauge on how the majority of the game's members and supporters actually feel towards the players, club and handling of the situation. The same critical people that keep the game alive.

34 players at a club with a secretive and systemic program have now been found guilty of doping and no further AFL punishment will be taken. Instead the AFL will bend their rules to compensate the punishment.

I really believe the AFL has not got a true gauge on how the majority of the game's members and supporters actually feel towards the players, club and handling of the situation. The same critical people that keep the game alive.

34 players at a club with a secretive and systemic program have now been found guilty of doping and no further AFL punishment will be taken. Instead the AFL will bend their rules to compensate the punishment.
Opposition supporters should boycott Essendon games, especially Essendon home games.

Thank you to those who endured my frustrations yesterday. Really, I just want this year to be over already. So we can get on with it. Carry on!
Bravo to you for coming to join the discussion, it would be uncomfortable.

Let's hope you guys have a total clean out, and move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't want to start a new thread but what of the assistant coaches that were at club at the time ie Goodwin? If they were involved in it all then do they cop bans too?

If there are any Essendon supporters reading this ...

If you feel hard done by, just go and read the AFL/WADA code. Not only are the rules clearly laid out, the intention is clearly laid out as well. Basically, if you come within a whiff of any doping product you can be done. If you order a doping product online but don't receive it, you can be done. If you're in the same room as someone who is doping, you can (probably) be done. On the other hand, if you're not in the room you said you'd be and ASADA come knocking for a sample, you can be done. And so it goes.

"In fact, you're gonna have to work very hard not to get done"...I read that in Rory Breakers voice

lock-stock-and-two-smoking-barrels-1998-720p-bluray-x264-yify08-52-25.jpg

Maybe it's time members used something like crowd-sourced funding to challenge the AFL on behalf of their clubs? I know I'd contribute.

Too many clubs are now either directly or indirectly controlled by the "independent" commission for them to ever do it.

The clubs that aren't beholden have too much to lose. Besides they often benefit most from commission's flexibility on impartiality (as we're about to see with Essendon).

Someone needs to do something. The AFL is a mess.
I think I knew before but didn't want to admit it.

But now I'm convinced about the AFL. Completely.

And the #1 draft pick next year. Hey could be an opportunity for us to give legs to kids who in the normal circumstances of play would not have gotten a chance. Silver lining?
True, there is a silver lining but it will amount to nothing if the club doesn't take out the trash. If I was an Essendon supporter I'd want anyone even remotely connected to the scandal kicked out of the club including the 12 players. The fundamentals of the club are still strong with great facilities and a large, loyal supporter base. It's not too late to accept responsibility and take a completely different direction. Carlton have had 15 years to get over their scandal but have squandered the opportunities with one terrible decision after another, hiring has-been coaches and trading away high-quality forwards. Can the Bombers learn from Carlton's experience? Not many signs yesterday that they had. There's a bit of Abbott/Credlin about Essendon.

I think I knew before but didn't want to admit it.

But now I'm convinced about the AFL. Completely.
Why do you think I'm so happy about this result sherb?

There's been a lot of converts to the cause in the past 24hrs. :)

Last night on 360 Gill said he had sympathy for the players because of the culture that exists at Clubs. He said he understood how the players would simply put their faith in the things they were being told by club administrators.

So my question to Gill is this:
Why bother with the drugs education and training the AFL provides to every player if as soon as the shit hits the fan it can all be dismissed based on the "Culture" that exists at Clubs. It would sure save the AFL a lot of money Gill.
Your club has been strong and fair in dealing with players top of the list infact, I like to think mine has as well but will leave that for other to judge,unfortunatly some others clubs are piss week and players rule the roost.

And the #1 draft pick next year. Hey could be an opportunity for us to give legs to kids who in the normal circumstances of play would not have gotten a chance. Silver lining?

Yep. I'm ok with the idea that EFC gets the #1 pick although you might be surprised by how much Carlton gives you a run at it.

And yes, the rookie upgrades / replacements is interesting too. EFC is really at the crossroads here - you could do a bigger version of what we did in terms of a 'rebuild' - accept three years of smashings to try and position yourself well in the medium term. Personally I think it's the way to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice WADA v Essendon 34: Guilty, 2 Yr Susp. (backdated to Mar 2015). Affects 17 current AFL plyrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back