Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

I went. There is a room full of dispensers where you can try all the wholly owned TCCC soft drinks. They do not have the side menu of licensed bottler companies. So they do not have Coca Cola Amatil's drinks like Kole Beer, Passiona etc.

They had an interesting section on the "New Coke" debacle. It was interesting to hear their side of it.
Kole beer is amazing. Haven’t seen it anywhere other than WA

Kole beer is amazing. Haven’t seen it anywhere other than WA
Aldi in Sydney has it every now and then. Not often, just enough that people have tasted it and then get pissed off that they can't have any more. Mitsuya Craft Cola in Japan is similar, if thats any help.

Got back from there recently. Did the east coast north of DC, across to the Midwest, down the Mississippi finishing in Dallas.

City I liked the most: Chicago, the skyline, the lakeshore, the food, just a brilliant, exciting place despite its problems.

City I liked the least: Indianapolis, although the 500 was epic, the city itself was very vanilla.

NYC would be my favourite of all, but for all the garbage and constant smell of urine and weed, although it's better outside of Manhattan (I heard it gets unbearable in summer)

All in all, a very enjoyable and eye opening trip.

City I liked the least: Indianapolis, although the 500 was epic, the city itself was very vanilla.
the 500 is on my list. worth it?

the 500 is on my list. worth it?
Absolutely, had to wait through a 4 hour rain delay, only for the race to finish at sunset.
The problem is not paying an arm and leg for accomodation; you can go down the camping route if you're road tripping but you have to buy/bring over the gear.
I stayed at an Airbnb a 10 min bus ride from downtown and at it was less than half what you pay for any hotel.

Got back from there recently. Did the east coast north of DC, across to the Midwest, down the Mississippi finishing in Dallas.

City I liked the most: Chicago, the skyline, the lakeshore, the food, just a brilliant, exciting place despite its problems.

NYC would be my favourite of all, but for all the garbage and constant smell of urine and weed, although it's better outside of Manhattan (I heard it gets unbearable in summer)

All in all, a very enjoyable and eye opening trip.
Yeah the first time I went to the US I went to Chicago only for 1 night for a gig (had no intention of going there otherwise). I fell in love with the place and made sure to spend more time there on my recent trip.

About to undertake our 5th trip to USA early October, this trip is through the South, starting at Dallas, then hiring a car and heading off on a road trip ( 1st time we will be driving on our trips ) to San Antonio, followed by Houston. Then on to New Orleans, then a little place called Pidgeon Forge in Tennesse( my wife wants to visit Dollywood ), after this drive to Lynchburg, then onto to Nashville. Next up flight to Vegas and then home.

Looking forward to drive as we figure you will see more rather than sitting in airport, and don't have to deal with TSA, but are a little anxious about it, most driving will be on highways though, so should be all good.

Last edited:
About to undertake our 4th trip to USA early October, this trip is through the South, starting at Dallas, then hiring a car and heading off on a road trip ( 1st time we will be driving on our trips ) to San Antonio, followed by Houston. Then on to New Orleans, then a little place called Pidgeon Forge in Tennesse( my wife wants to visit Dollywood ), after this drive to Lynchburg, then onto to Nashville. Next up flight to Vegas and then home.

Looking forward to drive as we figure you will see more rather than sitting in airport, and don't have to deal with TSA, but are a little anxious about it, most driving will be on highways though, so should be all good.
Just don't sit in the left lane if you don't want to be tailgated by an F250 going 20 miles over the limit.

Go to Atlanta!

Only "dodgy" experience of the trip was on the light rail in St Louis - a guy knocked on the driver cab and pointed to a seat without speaking. Obviously the driver understood because he immediately made us go to the car behind (you can't walk through like many trains or trams).

Found out later there was an unattended bag with a Glock in it, so he was very smart to not say "there's a gun over there" aloud, lest it was loaded and some nutcase heard him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back