USA team in AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

The logical first step in the USA is to implement a fully functioning, fully fledged Australian Rules competition that is country wide.

My understanding is that teams at the moment only compete with other teams in their similar region, and that cross country trips are rare.

There will be no AFL team in the USA in my lifetime I believe, but there is a chance to develop the game through a nationwide league in the USA, maybe as soon as over the next decade.

The only way to grow the sport in the US is through TV coverage, and this won't occur on a large scale until a nation wide league is created and supported in the USA.

Probably best to get the local newspapers to cover the sport first, and then move to regional ones, then state, etc
Building a grassroots level is what we need to do in almost every country. Yes national coverage would be great, but its the local coverage that will get people playing the sport.

Well, if Shae makes the team, I would think more people in America will see what the hype is all about. Then Americans will say, "Hey, that isn't rugby!" What is Australian football? Then the curious will watch.

The logical first step in the USA is to implement a fully functioning, fully fledged Australian Rules competition that is country wide.

My understanding is that teams at the moment only compete with other teams in their similar region, and that cross country trips are rare.

There is a national championship and regional leagues as well as less structured arrangements . It would be very easy to set up a conference system whereby the top regional teams played off in a national league .
At the moment Western Canadian teams are playing in the national championship .By comparison NFL teams only have 4 or 5 teams in their conference .

There will be no AFL team in the USA in my lifetime I believe, but there is a chance to develop the game through a nationwide league in the USA, maybe as soon as over the next decade.
There already has been an attempt to have an AFL team in the USA .
A truly national league would help , but is not the main criteria .

The only way to grow the sport in the US is through TV coverage, and this won't occur on a large scale until a nation wide league is created and supported in the USA.

The initial interest was created because Aussie Rules was big on ESPN in it's formative years . Then it disappeared . Now it has re-appeared to a small degree .I think media coverage helps the league more than the other way around .

Something in the Herald Sun today about AFL expanding into UK. They are seeking a few coaches, and growing admin etc etc in England, shows how correct some people are in this thread

No shit. Nobody is saying that the AFL clubs aren't doing anything - they're saying they're not doing enough. The few clubs I was involved in in my time had had very little contact with their sister AFL clubs.

Maybe im just ignorant because the way that boston started up was from an old melbourne player (he is not a named one, ie a good one, but was picked) so i assume that is why melbourne and boston are closer

Remove this Banner Ad

USA team in AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back