Umpiring

Are they?

• Yes

Votes: 52 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • They will until this group has officially been broken, Hardwick aint Coach and Gale isn't CEO

Votes: 36 34.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That was the worst umpiring I have ever seen, O'Gorman has form and is a dead set cheat. I got told off by the misses for calling him Cu*t but it was worth it. If the game had have been umpired equally we would have won by 6 goals easy. The amount of dropping the ball in the last quarter that wen't un rewarded was ridiculous. The worst was the Graham tackle how the umpire didn't blow the whistle sooner was beyond ridiculous, what was Graham meant to do? it felt to me that the umpire was waiting for an opportunity to penalise Graham. Those Freo supporters need to take a hard look at themselves if they think they were robbed.

Anyone who thinks we don't get ed over can just GAGF now. Tonight froved we get more harshly judged than any other team and i'm *** sick of it, if we were collingwood we would not have only received 3 frees to 3/4 time.

18 to 7 lol. HOW THE * DO YOU GET 7 FREES IN A WHOLE GAME OF FOOTY?
One free kick IN TOTAL across quarters 2 and 3. And that one was brought back after an advantage goal was kicked!!
1f923.png

You seriously can't make this s**t up.

It was umpired like you'd umpire a game with your 4-year-old nieces and nephews in the backyard so that they can stay about even with the 10-year-olds.

At least three of those were out of bounds frees. Not sure if they had any for the night but let’s just say they were equal. That’s 15-4.

We were just not rewarded for our tackles and they missed a heap of infringements that they paid the other way. Plus the shallow boundary throw ins in their half were so f’ing obvious.

Will need to watch the replay but one unrewarded tackle in particular the Freo player lifts his arms in the air with ball in hand when tackled and was held. Unless I am mistaken that's a free kick every day of the week. You lose prior opportunity in that instance.

What gets me is that the skill of players these days to get a handball out of a contest at the speed of light yet with no teammates close by after getting tackled they suddenly seem incapable of disposing the ball and prior opportunity is applied (unless wearing yellow and black of course)

The Graham sling tackle free kick was totally caused by poor umpiring. Graham tackled the player and spun him 720 degrees and still no whistle, what else was he going to do. Can you imagine if Dusty was the player being tackled, the umpire wouldn't have been able to get the whistle in his mouth quick enough.

Saw someone say it was the 7th least frees for a team in a game since 2004.

In the wet. When we were first to the ball and killing them in clearances and contested. It took to our 64th tackle to get our first holding the ball call

One free kick IN TOTAL across quarters 2 and 3. And that one was brought back after an advantage goal was kicked!!
1f923.png

You seriously can't make this s**t up.

It was umpired like you'd umpire a game with your 4-year-old nieces and nephews in the backyard so that they can stay about even with the 10-year-olds.
Let's not forgot that one of our total 3 frees over 3 quarters was when Bolton got his legs grabbed as he kicked it inside 50 which they decided wasn't advantage and made us bring it back.

We had the ball on the goal square in a 2 v 2 and they make us take the ball back to 60m out and let Freo set up their defense

So actually got disadvantaged by 1 of our 3 as well.

It’s near impossible to play 3 quarters of footy and only give 3 free kicks away … considering the weather as well … there’s only two ways this happens … Freo play perfect football or the AFL is trying to manufacture games … I know which one it is …. 3 free kicks in 3 quarters … Fooking unbelieveable

Last edited:
It’s near impossible to play 3 quarters of footy and only give 3 free kicks away … considering the weather as well … there’s only to ways this happens … Freo play perfect football or the AFL is trying to manufacture games … I know which one it is …. 3 free kicks in 3 quarters … Fooking unbelieveable
Two free kicks.
Let's not forgot that one of our total 3 frees over 3 quarters was when Bolton got his legs grabbed as he kicked it inside 50 which they decided wasn't advantage and made us bring it back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was the worst umpiring I have ever seen, O'Gorman has form and is a dead set cheat. I got told off by the misses for calling him Cu*t but it was worth it. If the game had have been umpired equally we would have won by 6 goals easy. The amount of dropping the ball in the last quarter that wen't un rewarded was ridiculous. The worst was the Graham tackle how the umpire didn't blow the whistle sooner was beyond ridiculous, what was Graham meant to do? it felt to me that the umpire was waiting for an opportunity to penalise Graham. Those Freo supporters need to take a hard look at themselves if they think they were robbed.
With you Sir R. Got told by a mate at home to level down a tad while I was issuing impartial advice to RoG, because, his ear drum might burst!

What gets my goat:

A couple of softish frees paid to the Dickers, pushes and the like, just not paid when the same is done to Tiges players. Just don't call the I gotcha frees Fluoros.

Still not consistently rewarding the tackle. Fluoro's should get sued by players if they get injured. As per your Graham example, the non whistle for ball up or non reward of free for holding the ball is a root cause of player injury.

Despite the number of umpires increasing, the third team have yet to understand and consistently correctly call incorrect disposal.

Lately, our Me, Me, Me's, have been unannounced and indiscriminately banging in some 50 metre penalties. A bit of chaos for a bit of the spotlight time by the collective that shrieked for harsher penalties because their wellbeing is suffering from all the pressure. The player response is to start playing for the 50, the spotlight gets turned on to the fluoro and the game descends to farce.

While I hate like the "Shockings" rule changes, all teams seem to have adapted to them. The rules are now, not the problem. The problem is how they being applied.

Here is a crackpot theory that could have some legs. I would love to sit in the umpires training room when they look at vision in the off season and during the season. The reason? I want to count which teams vision is used the most and break it down via frees for and frees against.

The reason I would love to do this is that it could be that we are used in the vision each week as the team giving away the frees and it has created an unconscious bias that we are always the "bad guy".

Here is a crackpot theory that could have some legs. I would love to sit in the umpires training room when they look at vision in the off season and during the season. The reason? I want to count which teams vision is used the most and break it down via frees for and frees against.

The reason I would love to do this is that it could be that we are used in the vision each week as the team giving away the frees and it has created an unconscious bias that we are always the "bad guy".
Probably sat in on Hocking's Richmond sessions and got that drilled into them.

SleepingGiant

What is going on here?

Hardwick coaching in 9 games this season....Richmond free kicks for 185 v Richmond free kicks against 181.

McQualter coaching in 3 games this season....Richmond free kicks for 31 v Richmond free kicks against 56.

I recall pre-season you indicating we would be umpired differently in 2023 due to Richmond having something over the AFL. And so it was.....until Hardwick resigned. Now normal service seems to have been resumed with a passion, and a bit of afters to go on with.

Any thoughts?

Last night was the worst umpired game I've seen since I started watching the game. In poor conditions and a highly contested game, the discrepancy at one point was 18 to 3. The club should at least be asking some questions of the umpiring dept at AFL house. As always, I don't care about the frees paid to the oppo, but to deliberately NOT pay frees to us when they are clearly infringements is not just frustrating, but it is cheating in my view.

More than once I saw a Richmond goal followed by a quick free kick to Freo straight after the bounce.

It looks match-fixing. Smells like match-fixing. Sounds like match-fixing.

The same suits who ultimately run the league (AFL House's overlords elsewhere, not the puppets there) also run the sports betting industry.

It is a bad time to be deemed to be too good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring

Back