Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Along with the bounces outside the circle not getting recalled, not just in our game but any games that drives me mad, add to that score reviews, these calls should be the easiest in the game.

Soft call behind. Reviewer, can we see the ball controller before it crossed the line? No, the players bodies in the way. Behind

Does the umpire overrule here? Have they decided it’s a mark and it’s their soft call we are going off?

Whilst venting, I noticed in our game and most games, umpires telling players to clear out of the protected area, even when it’s their team with the ball, what rule is this?

Yesterday the ump was telling Cripps to clear out when I think Hewett had the ball about 60 out, why is an ump stopping a player making a play for a handball receive?

Young is only 'effective' when he plays from behind and slaps the ball to somewhere neither he nor his team mates ar expecting - he is an easy player to move off the ball when in front position he should be expecting to be pushed as does every other decent defender and had every opportunity to kill the ball anyway - but his eyes dot really co-ordinate with any other part of his uncoordinated body anyway - his weaknesses have bene on display since he arrived and are there every game he plays I fully EXPECT him to be beaten in every situation he finds himself in and if he just succeeds in NOT advantaging the opposition it is a win - and he has far more losses than wins even doing that.

Yeah I agree, he's just not up to it and he should have killed that ball 100%. BUT, doesn't change the fact that the review footage was inconclusive and in that case should have went with the goal umpire's call of a behind. Cannot dispute that fact.

Staged falls on top of an awful awful kicking game - bloke is finding his feet again after ( another bout of missing games) irrelevant to teh game.

What do his staged falls and poor kicking have to do with the missed call when he got clipped high off the ball? Come on stay on topic here...

1714267950855.png
1714268072383.png

Here, he got an elbow to the face/arm around his neck... I don't care about your issues with his game, that is a free kick... Henry attacked him and then was all alone i50 to mark + goal. Dunstall's "He goes down easily for mine" comment is as dumb as it gets... FREE KICK.

Now count up the easy the shot misses from OWies and Durdin and Harry....

Again, off topic. This is an umpiring thread. I've already stated multiple times there were other factors and for sure I agree they should not be missing routine set shots but that is irrelevant to the umpiring calls I called out.

Maybe instead of piling on and playing schoolboy footabll- Carlton forward defending players might have kept an eye on outlet players? Perhaps that might have stopped teh walk out through the guts runs or the ridiculous amount of over the top to empty space joe the goose free hits they were allowed?

100% you are correct here. But once again, doesn't have anything to do with the multiple times Cats players were tackled and dropped the ball or threw it out in which we should have been rewarded at least 50% of those. The fact we didn't get any is very telling...

Sorry your own 'evidence' show me that umps had no bearing on teh final result - it was bad kicking and shyte defense simple as that.

No need to apologise, you haven't dispelled anything, rather just outlined other factors to the loss. The fact is, despite all of our mistakes, we were still close enough to win the game and bad umpiring decisions 100% affected the outcome.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree, he's just not up to it and he should have killed that ball 100%. BUT, doesn't change the fact that the review footage was inconclusive and in that case should have went with the goal umpire's call of a behind. Cannot dispute that fact.

What do his staged falls and poor kicking have to do with the missed call when he got clipped high off the ball? Come on stay on topic here...

View attachment 1973340
View attachment 1973343

Here, he got an elbow to the face/arm around his neck... I don't care about your issues with his game, that is a free kick... Henry attacked him and then was all alone i50 to mark + goal. Dunstall's "He goes down easily for mine" comment is as dumb as it gets... FREE KICK.

Again, off topic. This is an umpiring thread. I've already stated multiple times there were other factors and for sure I agree they should not be missing routine set shots but that is irrelevant to the umpiring calls I called out.

100% you are correct here. But once again, doesn't have anything to do with the multiple times Cats players were tackled and dropped the ball or threw it out in which we should have been rewarded at least 50% of those. The fact we didn't get any is very telling...

No need to apologise, you haven't dispelled anything, rather just outlined other factors to the loss. The fact is, despite all of our mistakes, we were still close enough to win the game and bad umpiring decisions 100% affected the outcome.
there are so many 'missed' or 'not paid calls' in every game it isnt worth talking about and changes nothing. That is why umpire calls are an irrelevancy in 99% of games.

there are so many 'missed' or 'not paid calls' in every game it isnt worth talking about and changes nothing. That is why umpire calls are an irrelevancy in 99% of games.

Talking about any factor in the game changes nothing...

We are not posting in this forum to change things... it's just general comments/opinions on the game.

Not sure about 99% of games, but let's say you're right... last night's game falls in your 1% where the calls were relevant.

29cd521100d87176dba705fd33a7c3c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Staged falls on top of an awful awful kicking game - bloke is finding his feet again after ( another bout of missing games) irrelevant to teh game.
Williams leans into the Cats player and stages hoping to get a free. Embarrassing to watch.

Wished he spent that much effort playing defensively instead of laying on the ground while the Cats player runs off unmarked.

Williams leans into the Cats player and stages hoping to get a free. Embarrassing to watch.

Wished he spent that much effort playing defensively instead of laying on the ground while the Cats player runs off unmarked.

Williams took a gamble and lost, what it highlighted was we were getting opened up too easily in our defensive half.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Williams took a gamble and lost, what it highlighted was we were getting opened up too easily in our defensive half.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Terrible time to coin flip a flop of all things.

It happens all the time behind play or when times stopped. Doing it as your man is running into open space though is criminal..

I think you need to rethink that, Geelong player fined for high contact and taking him out

Should have been a free kick everyday of the week and twice on Sundays…he was trying to get to the overlapping Geelong player and was taken out

The 50 m against H (apparently switching man on the mark) was incredibly frustrating to watch and it came at a critical time.

Cripps had his arms up and it was clear he was manning the mark ...not H.

Umpire could have corrected the situation if he believed H should have been on the mark instead of Cripps - instead he kept calling H to stop but not really explaining himself well enough.

It was a pack situation so who really knows who should have been the man on the mark.

Cripps and H were genuinely puzzled like we all were.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spare me :rolleyes:
Bizarre explanation - if there are two people on the mark and the umpire gets to nominate rather than just saying "stand" isn't it common sense to use the player's name. Because Cripps did stand thinking it was him and then a 50m was paid

Exactly
Quoted “ability to self nominate” Cripps standing there on mark before harry even knows what’s going on.
Imo umpire didnt see Cripps at all. If they did, they’d be telling him to move.

Shocking call, embarrassing explanation
Also McKay was 25m away from the umpire. If the umpire does indeed get to nominate who stands the mark surely you run in and clear up who it is rather than trying to scream over 88K fans.

Pittonet was absolutely dominating the ruck early so Stanley turned it into a wrestle. Not only did he get away with completely ignoring the actual ball all game, when the umpires eventually decided to put a stop to it they gave the free to Stanley!
One of the most shocking ruck decisions ever.

I think you need to rethink that, Geelong player fined for high contact and taking him out

Should have been a free kick everyday of the week and twice on Sundays…he was trying to get to the overlapping Geelong player and was taken out

There were so many not paid eventually you had to laugh as each one got more ridiculous than the one before …

View attachment 1973340
View attachment 1973343

No matter how staged or soft it was that still does not excuse the umpires for not applying the basic rule of interference from Henry on Williams, because it was a free kick. It has never made any difference about how forcefully a tackle like that is applied as it is still illegal and it was off the ball as well. Annoyingly it was all about Henry being able to restrict Williams actions by doing that, and then damn "homesick Henry" ends up having an uncontested run at it for a mark and goal when he should have had a free kick against him!!! The overbearing umps ping Harry/Cripps for swapping on the mark (totally big brother stuff as what difference does it matter who stands the mark) with a fifty metre penalty giving Geelong another easy goal, while they ignore a swinging arm from Henry which goes unpunished and leads to another Cats goal.......all anyone wants is a game where you never notice the umps because they are being even handed, without looking to control players like some overbearing CEO!!! Carlton certainly kicked themselves in the arse big time with their missed shots on goal, but don`t turn footy into trivial pursuit just to please the AFL either. I get the feeling that Geelong are the teachers (AFL) pet this season just like the magpies were last season. Just ask the interstate teams (especially the Crows) how they feel about the "even handed" umpiring each week, and why they all call the comp the VFL.

Last edited:
Common guys.....nothing to see here......It's not Geelongs fault Williams takes a dive with minimum contact or Pittonet is just too big or Cripps just instigates holding 2 people or Charlie the same.....I mean poor Ollie Henry nearly didn't get paid a mark....and rugby touch downs are a special technic in our game....

Last edited:
Spare me :rolleyes:

From Kane.

If a player self selects and they're the closest to where the mark has been paid and then in fact (is) standing on that mark, it's very clearly them. If two players, which sometimes happens, both go to the spot and the umpire is trying to differentiate who is staying there and who is about to run off, the umpire may select one of the players and instruct them to stay and instruct the other player to get out of the way.

"In the case on the weekend, the umpire has instructed Harry to stay on the mark, but the opposite has occurred and a free kick has been paid.

Soo by her own explanation, common sense should have applied as Cripps was on the mark and Harry a few meters behind him.,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back