News Tyson Stengle taken to hospital Saturday night

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it was pretty inadvisable, but I could imagine being his age and bumping into a group of fans who think you're the greatest ever and who keep wanting to buy you drinks.

You can't accept it and he needs a week off minimum, but to dwell on it is to hold him to a higher standard than most of us would have met until after the age of 35
I would hope that whatever happened, the Club and Tys can uncover whatever he is dealing with. If it was fun, pick a course of action. If it is deeper, get into that. Just get to the root cause. The primary goal is to support Tyson in being the best version of himself.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

I’ll reserve my judgment till the facts. Or most of them, come out.

Ultimately not a good look or outcome.
That said, we don’t know what caused it and there are differing levels of disappointment attached to each of them.

Bigger issue is what for him there in the first place and that’s what the club needs to get in front of IMO..

And then discipline / react accordingly from there.

But again.. I’ll wait and see before pssing judgement as we don’t know yet

Go Catters

Well, if it really was a spiked drink, then Tyson and the club should think about releasing the medical results, if Tyson is happy with that, so as to stop all the innuendo etc..

I am sure the AFL drug testers have already visited him by now. So AFL may know the true story, and if it was something he shouldn't have done, then they will be regularly testing him.

I am sure all of this has scared him, so hopefully he is going to be more careful from now on....whatever happened.

Hope he didn’t hit his head when he passed out, concussion protocol will keep him out this week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well, if it really was a spiked drink, then Tyson and the club should think about releasing the medical results, if Tyson is happy with that, so as to stop all the innuendo etc..

I am sure the AFL drug testers have already visited him by now. So AFL may know the true story, and if it was something he shouldn't have done, then they will be regularly testing him.

I am sure all of this has scared him, so hopefully he is going to be more careful from now on....whatever happened.
If his drink was spiked and became unconscious would the club have footage and be able to see if it really happened?

I’m looking at seeing if we punish him at all, that will tell the tale IMO

Speaking outside the club on Tuesday morning, Cats captain Patrick Dangerfield said there were “no issues” with players going out mid-season.

“We treat our players like adults,” he said.

“They have every right to go out and enjoy themselves.

“Clearly with that, you’ve got to do it responsibly and there has been a bit of an error in judgment with that.”

Dangerfield said Stengle would be well-supported by the club.

“We love Tys and we will always support him,” he said.

If his drink was spiked and became unconscious would the club have footage and be able to see if it really happened?

Regardless of whether it was a spiked drink or not I think you have to drop him for a week. You only get one chance to set a standard.

I think back to my time as a leader and all of my regrets are somehow related to not making stronger examples of the marginally poor behaviour

When has this been an issue at Geelong since 2007? This is the first case I remember and we don’t even know the facts of what happened.

We won a flag in 2022 and there were a few times through the year when the players would mention having a couple of beers to celebrate wins or special occasions.
But that’s what it should be, a couple at most, in the end they’re professional athletes and can’t be getting trashed every weekend.
I'm not talking about this case at all.
Just the discussion that teams who want an edge have found so by zero alcohol.
Alcohol after games is detrimental to recovery for starters due to diuresis .
In season there is no great time to have alcohol- how many players or athletes would just have a single drink?

We do not even know if this is an an alcohol related issue.

Speaking outside the club on Tuesday morning, Cats captain Patrick Dangerfield said there were “no issues” with players going out mid-season.

“We treat our players like adults,” he said.

“They have every right to go out and enjoy themselves.

“Clearly with that, you’ve got to do it responsibly and there has been a bit of an error in judgment with that.”

Dangerfield said Stengle would be well-supported by the club.

“We love Tys and we will always support him,” he said.

Glad to read this and suspected this was the club's viewpoint.

You don't build great cultures by treating your employees like untrustworthy children.

Last edited:
Just thinking “worse case scenario” with his history would they have put some sort of clause in his contract? Let’s be honest, he has history.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Glad to read this and suspected this was the club's viewpoint.

You don't build.great cultures by treating your employees like untrustworthy children.

We also don't know if there are any other issues in play, or what they'd be.

It's in Tyson's interests, and that of the club, for them to support him and nurture him.

It isn't the first time a player might've erred, and it won't be the last.

Whatever the circumstances were, I'll back the club to respond appropriately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not talking about this case at all.
Just the discussion that teams who want an edge have found so by zero alcohol.
Alcohol after games is detrimental to recovery for starters due to diuresis .
In season there is no great time to have alcohol- how many players or athletes would just have a single drink?

We do not even know if this is an an alcohol related issue.

Any alcohol is bad for performance yes, but I wouldn't prioritise it above promoting a culture of personal accountability and empowering individuals.

If the playing group is empowered and makes the decision itself then that's awesome. If they go the other way and you have to nanny them into life decisions then you have much bigger problems than diuresis

Last edited:
Error in judgement line from Pat probably rules out drink spiking.
Not necessarily. The error in judgment he's referring to could just be the fact Tyson went out clubbing when they got home from Hobart instead of going home to bed. Internet trolls are trying to make this something it's not. Good on Paddy for standing by his team mate.

You have to remember that in Geelong, our AFL players are minor celebrities and would stand out in a club. So it's highly conceivable some f-wit saw this as an opportunity to F with Tyson. Such campaigners are out there. That's not Tyson's fault. It's actually assault.

Last edited:
To a degree yes but high profile athletes surely have something about bringing the game into disrepute etc in their contract or eba
define disrepute tho?? The term seems to be very loosely and unfairly applied. It should exist for very immoral actions or behaviors that are essentially unlawful. I don’t agree in its application to players just having a night out and getting overly intoxicated.

I agree those clauses have a purpose, but they are being abused at times with over reactivity.

I think there are great examples of this clause working such as the strike policy on illegal drug usage (which is a crime) and also the tarryn Thomas example of violent sexual harassment towards women.

Stengle getting heavily intoxicated at a club?? Leave the kid alone. Between him and his family and doctors.

Regardless of whether it was a spiked drink or not I think you have to drop him for a week. You only get one chance to set a standard.

I think back to my time as a leader and all of my regrets are somehow related to not making stronger examples of the marginally poor behaviour
I don’t think they drop him at all.
They know he is the type of person who needs support, dropping him for going out on the piss isn’t that IMO
Like Patrick said, he had an error in judgement.
If he repeats I’m in agreement with you

Any alcohol is bad for performance yes, but I wouldn't prioritise it above promoting a culture of personal accountability and empowering individuals.

If the playing group is empowered and makes the decision itself then that's awesome. If they go the other way and you have to nanny them into life decisions then you have much bigger problems than diuresis
Agreed. Should be 100% team and player driven.

Hard thing to track down in all honesty I’m lucky I know who the two idiots that did it to me back then
Happened to me twice too and was drinking with the same bloke both time couldn't prove anything or identify a motive but haven't had a drink with him around in a bloody long time and won't not even a glass of water.

Punish him? We aren’t going to do that. The club has already played its hand with the press release.

Is it? Surely treating your players like adults builds a better culture?
I'm only suggesting that the adults, the players, the team, should buy into a zero alcohol policy in season if driven by success. But it needs to be player and team driven. The arguments against such a team driven policy are "team bonding, mental health, relaxation..etc". The arguments for it surely hugely outweigh this. Anyway, each to their own. None of us knows exactly what the circumstances were on Saturday night. Just an opportunity to discuss an interesting and important health issue.

I don’t think they drop him at all.
They know he is the type of person who needs support, dropping him for going out on the piss isn’t that IMO
Like Patrick said, he had an error in judgement.
If he repeats I’m in agreement with you
I think if he ended up in hospital there is a good chance he misses this week’s game purely out of caution.

But it won’t be because he was dropped or punished. It will be to make sure he is ok medically.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Tyson Stengle taken to hospital Saturday night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back