Banter TRTT Part 13: 2021 Goodbye (To 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Academy Award for best Actor 1995- Leaving Las Vegas
1996 - The Rock
1997 - ConAir, Face Off
2002 - Adaptation - nominated for Academy Award
2005 - Lord of War

Would be the highlights, and 'biggest star on the planet' was short lived and seriously overhyped IMHO
You'd be hard pressed to find a better trilogy of bangers as The Rock, Con Air, and Face Off, remembering that those three movies came out directly following one another, no interruptions. It's the film equivalent of Ride The Lightning - Master of Puppets - And Justice for All, or Power Metal - Cowboys From Hell - Vulgar Display of Power

The dude has gone from A-list to a gazillion B film roles.
You don't know the story behind that?

Nicolas Cage got in trouble with the IRS after blowing $150m and owing $6m or so in property taxes. He took all those roles to get out of debt.

“I’ve got all these creditors and the IRS and I’m spending $20,000 a month trying to keep my mother out of a mental institution, and I can’t,” Cage said about his debts. “It was just all happening at once.”

“When I was doing four movies a year, back to back to back, I still had to find something in them to be able to give it my all,” Cage said. “They didn’t work, all of them. Some of them were terrific, like ‘Mandy,’ but some of them didn’t work. But I never phoned it in. So if there was a misconception, it was that. That I was just doing it and not caring. I was caring.”

Coppola made like, a couple of really good movies in the 70s, then dropped away. Not the name he used to be.

Literally his best movie since 1980 was a John Grisham adaptation starring a young Matt Damon.

I always liked Bram Stokers Dracula.

Forgot about that one. That’s decent. Amazingly crafted (all special effects are in-camera). Also the Monica Belluci scene.

On the other hand, Keanu…

Nicolas Cage got in trouble with the IRS after blowing $150m and owing $6m or so in property taxes. He took all those roles to get out of debt.

“I’ve got all these creditors and the IRS and I’m spending $20,000 a month trying to keep my mother out of a mental institution, and I can’t,” Cage said about his debts. “It was just all happening at once.”

“When I was doing four movies a year, back to back to back, I still had to find something in them to be able to give it my all,” Cage said. “They didn’t work, all of them. Some of them were terrific, like ‘Mandy,’ but some of them didn’t work. But I never phoned it in. So if there was a misconception, it was that. That I was just doing it and not caring. I was caring.”
No I never looked into it, now he's trapped in B's forever? must be like doing pr0n they clip you off the A-list offers.

Similar story behind Robert De Niro’s total lack of discretion when choosing roles in recent decades, from memory.

Acting is overrated I've said it before put Brad Pitt on the neighbours set & he'd be just as s**t as toadfish.

Margot Robbie was s**t on neighbours, Chris Hemsworth was s**t on Home & Away.

100%

Also, I wouldn’t trust celebrities enough not to have a paedo past these day.

Coppola made like, a couple of really good movies in the 70s, then dropped away. Not the name he used to be.
The guy made 3 movies that are invariably on everybody's 'best movies of all time' list. Irrespective of what came after, his contribution to cinema is immense. The bloke's now in his mid 80s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think he also spent millions on a dinosaur skeleton that turned out to be stolen so he had to give it back and didn't get reimbursed

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

No I never looked into it, now he's trapped in B's forever? must be like doing pr0n they clip you off the A-list offers.
He's done a few acclaimed films still. He done voice work on the animated Spiderman film that won best animated film Oscar.

He's not entirely dead.

The guy made 3 movies that are invariably on everybody's 'best movies of all time' list. Irrespective of what came after, his contribution to cinema is immense. The bloke's now in his mid 80s
Helps when you have George Lucas doing uncredited work.

Acting is overrated I've said it before put Brad Pitt on the neighbours set & he'd be just as s**t as toadfish.

Margot Robbie was s**t on neighbours, Chris Hemsworth was s**t on Home & Away.
I can speak from experience when I say, I think there's truth in this.

Then again, millions of people out there can play music just as good as any millionaire rockstar. Some ****ing c-list actor taught himself to play Master of Puppets ffs. I used to be able to play it!

He became a vigneron.

I can speak from experience when I say, I think there's truth in this.

Then again, millions of people out there can play music just as good as any millionaire rockstar. Some ******* c-list actor taught himself to play Master of Puppets ffs. I used to be able to play it!

Yea that's life though there are technically brilliant musicians in every city on the planet that struggle to pay the bills, it's timing & having the right material etc.that captures a wide audience and that can be like winning the lottery.

*master of puppets is no high bar in musicianship btw, it works though.

Yea that's life though there are technically brilliant musicians in every city on the planet that struggle to pay the bills, it's timing & having the right material etc.that captures a wide audience and that can be like winning the lottery.

I’ve tried to make this point regarding the clamour that has come over professional sport of late, but it never lands.

Sometimes, you can be technically-gifted and work your ass off to boot, but if nobody wants to listen — or say, buy a season ticket to watch you play — you don’t get to make the big bucks, weirdly.

*master of puppets is no high bar in musicianship btw, it works though.
My brother was in a local glam band and it seemed their ceiling was winning local battle of the bands, but ****ed if they didn't have talent and songwriting ability. Certainly no worse than any other hair band this side of Bon Jovi waxing his chest. My brother and the bassist probably the weak links. The lead guitar and drummer could literally slip in to any rock or metal band and not miss a beat. Matter of fact I think the drummer does he does session work for recording.

My brother was in a local glam band and it seemed their ceiling was winning local battle of the bands, but *ed if they didn't have talent and songwriting ability. Certainly no worse than any other hair band this side of Bon Jovi waxing his chest. My brother and the bassist probably the weak links. The lead guitar and drummer could literally slip in to any rock or metal band and not miss a beat. Matter of fact I think the drummer does he does session work for recording.

Did a local grunge band explode and kill their momentum?

My brother was in a local glam band and it seemed their ceiling was winning local battle of the bands, but *ed if they didn't have talent and songwriting ability. Certainly no worse than any other hair band this side of Bon Jovi waxing his chest. My brother and the bassist probably the weak links. The lead guitar and drummer could literally slip in to any rock or metal band and not miss a beat. Matter of fact I think the drummer does he does session work for recording.
Went to Nashville a few years back, nearly every single one of those acts were better than those that ‘make it’.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back