Triple J hottest 100 of 2012 Prediction thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Already got Trycolour and Rosebud. Doubt they could get three in.

Would be very surprised if Endless Summer didn't poll the highest out of the 3 songs. Was played the most.

I reckon The Wombats - Jump Into The Fog will be the highest poller for them as well.

Text wall I choose you! Text wall attack! (oh and on the betting the multis will be where its at, havn't looked into the betting that much yet tho seeing as the official voting only opened today)

M83 – Midnight City.

I partially agree. Maybe the 30’s but not as high as the 20s. The reason why it’s so high up is because on my original list I had written (tentative) next to it but I can’t remember why. So I was reluctant to place it lower on the list.

San Cisco – Awkward.

I would say in the last two months that it has received a very reasonable amount of play time. It has also been more requested on several nights. Don’t be put off by the fact that it’s from an Unearthed banned. San Cisco are also pretty popular in W.A.

Skrillex

At the moment I would consider Skrillex in a class of his own when it comes to that dance/dubstep (or whatever it’s called) music. His song First of the year (Equinox) was massively requested on the super request program at the start of the year. Gotye may have had the most consecutive most requests but I wouldn’t be surprised if First of the year had the most cumulatively. One negative is that given the style of the music it doesn’t get much play on the radio. However, I think of all the songs on my list First of the year and Scary monsters and nice sprites have the most youtube views, around 25 and 45 million respectively. Scary monsters likely to only have more due to it being released about 6 or 7 months before First of the year.

Washington – Holy Moses.

Completely disagree. I’m a big Washington fan, I even voted for Sunday best in last years count. However, Holy moses is nowhere near the caliber of the stuff she released on her album last year. Didn’t really get played a whole lot and was barely sited on super request. Although I could be wrong and everyone downloaded it and loves it.

Wombats – Jump into the fog.

Awesome song. From an awesome album. However, I didn’t want to have three songs from The Wombats in the list. This was for a similar reason as to my above post about 360 and having to many good songs with the votes resultantly being spread out. I see it highly unlikely that all three songs would be able to poll really well. The reasons why I picked Techno fan and 1996 are as follows. Techno fan and Jump into the fog were both extremely popular, however Techno fan seemed to be played more. Jump into the fog is better than 1996, however, 1996 has been smashed on triple j recently and would be more freshly in peoples minds than Jump into the fog.

Sparkadia – China.

Wasn’t played much. Wasn’t requested much and also wasn’t sighted on the “hit list”. I think anyone voting for Sparkadia will be voting for Mary and not a different song.

Cut Copy - Need You Now/Blink And You'll Miss a Revolution.

Didn’t have these on my original list of highly played songs. However, really popular band that has done well in past hottest 100 counts. I was struggling to be able to find a song to remove from my list to get one of these on. Suggestions?

Lykke Li - I Follow Rivers.

Wasn’t on my highly played list. Also not a fan and not many of these “soft” songs seem to do very well.

Justice – Civilisation.

Justice are unlikely to get two songs in the count in my opinion. Audio, video, disco was on the list of highly played songs and Civilisation wasn’t.

Not really. Scarlett from the band is the daughter of the guy who manages the John Butler Trio and The Waifs so they're well connected for playing around the country and getting airplay. They're not really that popular compared to a heap of other WA acts. Still, I hope they poll well amongst all the shithouse Aussie hiphop and electro that clogs up the Hottest 100, it's a great catchy little track.

Not really. Scarlett from the band is the daughter of the guy who manages the John Butler Trio and The Waifs so they're well connected for playing around the country and getting airplay. They're not really that popular compared to a heap of other WA acts. Still, I hope they poll well amongst all the shithouse Aussie hiphop and electro that clogs up the Hottest 100, it's a great catchy little track.

Awkward is this weeks Ripe clip on Channel V and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up on Nova over the next couple of weeks (if it ain't there already).

Wouldn't surprise me if it is a bolter up the countdown.

Arctic Monkeys will have a couple of songs in the 50-100 range- Don't sit down cos I moved your chair, Hellcat spangled shalalala.

Think Gotye is a shoe-in but thought the same thing last year with Cee-lo Green. The fact that it is so popular may stop people form voting for it, if that makes sense.

The only thing I don't get is how the say the songs must be released in 2011 yet there's heaps of songs from 2009, 2010 in the list. Stupid.

Anyway, my top 10: (Not in order)

Dom - Living in America
Foster the People - Helena Beat
James Blake - The Wilhelm Scream
Friendly Fires - Blue Cassette
Yuksek - On A Train
Jinja Safari - Hiccups
Digitalism - Blitz
M83 - Midnight City
Cut Copy - Need You Now
Canyons - My Rescue

Haven't listened to a lot of new stuff this year, but this is the 10 I went with.

The National - Think You Can Wait
Cat's Eyes - Not A Friend
Radiohead - Supercollider
James Blake - The Wilhelm Scream
King Krule - The Noose of Jah City
St Vincent - Cruel
Atlas Sound - Terra Incognita
Horrors, The - Still Life
Radiohead - Codex
Mazzy Star - Common Burn

I'm calling from a long way from home so I'm outside the loop in terms of what people want...but no love for the Decemberists?

Not really a JJJ sort, even though I adore them. Only one song on the list and bugger all play time over the year.

Anyway, sportingbet have got their extended Hottest 100 market up.

http://www.sportingbet.com.au/#&&s=Sports-Entertainment-2011+Triple+J+Hottest+100+-2569705

If nothing else, hopefully that makes you re-think the Jebediah call! :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't even remember what songs were from 2011.

M83 - Midnight City - Easily one of the best songs this year but I don't think it will poll very well.

National - Exile Vilify - Toured twice this year and that song was on Portal but I doubt it would be anywhere.

Gotye - Somebody - Obvious number 1. Thrashed to death and we all know who votes on the top 100.

Bon Iver - Anything from there should be in the top 10. By far the standout album of the year. Has sold out all tours I believe too which means he will probably get a few tracks in there.

Foster the People - Pumped up Kicks - Not sure if its 2011 but if so it will be up there.

Low - Try to sleep - Great great song. Easily one of the best this year.

Wild Beasts - Bed of Nails/Albatross/ Reach a Bit Further - Probably the 2nd best album of the year. Doubt any of them will place high

The Antlers - I don't want love - Amazing song but again the voting crowd don't vote for great songs.

I can't even remember what songs were from 2011.

M83 - Midnight City - Easily one of the best songs this year but I don't think it will poll very well.

National - Exile Vilify - Toured twice this year and that song was on Portal but I doubt it would be anywhere.

Gotye - Somebody - Obvious number 1. Thrashed to death and we all know who votes on the top 100.

Bon Iver - Anything from there should be in the top 10. By far the standout album of the year. Has sold out all tours I believe too which means he will probably get a few tracks in there.

Foster the People - Pumped up Kicks - Not sure if its 2011 but if so it will be up there.

Low - Try to sleep - Great great song. Easily one of the best this year.

Wild Beasts - Bed of Nails/Albatross/ Reach a Bit Further - Probably the 2nd best album of the year. Doubt any of them will place high

The Antlers - I don't want love - Amazing song but again the voting crowd don't vote for great songs.

Pumped up kicks came in at 30 odd last year. Such a sleeper hit, missed out on a top 3 finish this year for sure.

My ten, in no order were:
The Black Keys - Lonely Boy
Arctic Monkeys - Dont Sit Down Cos I've Moved Your Chair
The Jezabels - Endless Summer
Foster The People - Helena Beat
Grouplove - Tonguetied
Kasabian - Re-wired
Matt Corby - Brother
Papa Vs Pretty - Darkest Way
Sparkadia - Mary
The Strokes - Under Cover of Darkness

My short list was only 11 songs, had barely heard of anything on the list.

Band Of Skulls - The Devil Takes Care Of His Own
Beastie Boys - Make Some Noise
Black Keys, The - Lonely Boy
Frenzal Rhomb - Bird Attack
Frenzal Rhomb - Knuckleheads
Frenzal Rhomb - When My Baby Smiles At Me I Go To Rehab
Herd, The - Signs Of Life
Jebediah - Control
King Cannons - Teenage Dreams
PJ Harvey - The Words That Maketh Murder

But yeah, havent really listened to the radio this year, voted out of habit

Ended up going with:

Grouplove - Tongue Tied
M83 - Midnight City
Kasabian - Days are forgotten
The Wombats - Techno Fan
PNAU - The Truth
Nero - Promises
Jay-Z & Kanye West - No Church in the Wild
Gotye - Somebody that I used to Know
Boy & Bear - Feeding Line

Avicii - Levels
Avicii - Levels
Avicii - Levels
Avicii - Levels
Avicii - Levels
Avicii - Levels
Avicii - Levels
Avicii - Levels
Avicii - Levels
Avicii - Levels

I agree. Surely this song makes the list kbuck. I hear it just about everywhere. :D

My ten, in no order were:
The Black Keys - Lonely Boy
Arctic Monkeys - Dont Sit Down Cos I've Moved Your Chair
The Jezabels - Endless Summer
Foster The People - Helena Beat

Grouplove - Tonguetied
Kasabian - Re-wired
Matt Corby - Brother
Papa Vs Pretty - Darkest Way
Sparkadia - Mary

you know where its at!
I had the bolded four, plus:
360 feat Gossling - Boys Like You
The Wombats - Jump Into the Fog
Boy & Bear - Feeding Line
Seeker Lover Keeper - Light All My Lights
Death Cab for Cutie - You Are A Tourist
Hilltop Hoods feat Sia - I Love It

My Top ten in no order are:

'Gladiator' - Big Scary
'Holocene' - Bon Iver
'Itchin' On A Photograph' - Grouplove
'No Church In The Wild {Ft. Frank Ocean}' - Jay-Z & Kanye West
'Future Starts Slow' - Kills, The.
'Midnight City' - M83
'Holding On To Black Metal' - My Morning Jacket
'Pharaohs {Ft. Roses Gabor}' - SBTRKT
'Caffeinated Consciousness' - TV On The Radio
'Yonkers' - Tyler, The Creator

Never really understood the love for Boy and Bear but it appears they will do very well.
Matt Corby will score a lot higher than the 90's. More likley to be between 20-30.
Always though IOAP was grouploves big song but it appears that tongue tied song has over taken it.
Hope to see the kills in the 100 but they dont seem to get the appreciation they deserve.
Unsure of how bon iver will go as I haven't listened to JJJ enough this year. They are well liked but not sure they get flogged on JJJ enough. I could be wrong though.

Predictions:

Radiohead's Lotus Flower is very likely to be top 20 imo. Also, Supercollider seems to be ok with jjj fans, and might scrape in.

Arctic Monkeys will have 3 songs in the 50-100 range, with The Hellcat Spangled Shalalala likely to be highest, but it will be close.

Jump into the Fog will be The Wombats highest charting track

I could see Wilco's I Might appearing very early in the countdown, like high 80's, low 90's.

I can also remember Beth Ditto's I wrote the Book getting some decent airplay last January. If people can remember it, it should make it.

The Horrors - Still Life
Mutemath - All or Nothing
Friendly Fires - Running Away
Sparkadia - Mary
The Wombats - Jump into the Fog
Yuksek - On a Train
M83 - Midnight City
Glasvegas - Euphoria take my Hand
Foster the People - Warrant
Florence and the Machine - What the water gave me

Remove this Banner Ad

Triple J hottest 100 of 2012 Prediction thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back