Player Watch Trent Cotchin - Elite

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wanted to dig up my post from Apr 29, 2012

ALL YOU DOUBTERS SHOULD GO TO THE CORNER OF THE ROOM AND WALLOW IN YOUR PITY.
4 years would have ended in 2016.

So you were wrong

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Great player and gun.

One thing funny about him: as great as he is, some of his accolades on paper make him seem better than he actually has been.

Dual premiership captain, Brownlow medallist*, AFLCA Award.

That sort of resume would normally put him amongst the greats, but in reality he as only a top echelon player for 1-2 seasons (hence, his solitary All-Australian award).
I reckon that's down to 2 things.

1- injury and bad management. He's was never big, but he has speed and zip to be able to escape from a pack into space by avoiding tackles. He was on his way to a Brownlow early in 2013 until he hurt his knee against Freo. Up until around 2015 the club were pathetic at treating and managing injuries, and I reckon he did some permanent damage because of it. He never really regained that sidestep until about 2017, which pretty much took out his prime years, and his body is really showing its years.

2 - captaincy. I think he was made captain too young and it again ruined his prime years. He felt responsibility to try and do everything and changed his game away from doing what he did well, eventually becoming basically a stat padder. Again by the time he went back to what made him great in 2012 his prime years were past him.

I think if you transplanted the mind of 2017-19 cotchin into the body of 2013-2016 cotchin, and gave him our current fitness team, he would have at least 2 more all Australian jumpers, and maybe more awards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. Next you'll sake Jake King is the best. Or some crap like that.

Sure he's effective, but he isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. Saying he's elite is reaching for it, lowering the bar for what elite really is. Will be good no doubt, but you may as well wait until he finishes this season and he's backed up last season with another outstanding one.

Will never happen at Richmond.
Well......

his legacy will be as a key pillar in getting the best out of all of his team mates, arguably at the expense of his own personal game

A true tigers legend
This is key. It's also interesting to think how good would some players be in shit teams? Cripps is unbelievable because of what he has done in dud teams. I think Danger would also be a gun if in a dud team. I love Dusty, but if you swapped him in for Cripps, I think he'd be a significantly lesser player than he is now. He'd have to be much, much more accountable defensively in the middle, and I'm not sure if he could do that. If Cotch was traded in for Cripps and told the team needed him to win his own ball, I think his numbers would go right up again as his positioning and movement around stoppages changed - while his defensive accountability would only drop off minimally. Cotch does exactly what is needed for his team to keep winning.

I have no doubt he could go back to getting the 30 dinky touches and a goal a game if he chose to but in reality that's not what best serves our system. Hard to think of a more selfless player.
We all laud Cotchin for his hardness and attack on the ball. What we overlook is just how skilled and balanced he is along with his ability to get out of traffic with his evasiveness and to see the play unfolding a couple of moves ahead to put others into space.
Great player. Amazing leader

I reckon that's down to 2 things.

1- injury and bad management. He's was never big, but he has speed and zip to be able to escape from a pack into space by avoiding tackles. He was on his way to a Brownlow early in 2013 until he hurt his knee against Freo. Up until around 2015 the club were pathetic at treating and managing injuries, and I reckon he did some permanent damage because of it. He never really regained that sidestep until about 2017, which pretty much took out his prime years, and his body is really showing its years.

2 - captaincy. I think he was made captain too young and it again ruined his prime years. He felt responsibility to try and do everything and changed his game away from doing what he did well, eventually becoming basically a stat padder. Again by the time he went back to what made him great in 2012 his prime years were past him.

I think if you transplanted the mind of 2017-19 cotchin into the body of 2013-2016 cotchin, and gave him our current fitness team, he would have at least 2 more all Australian jumpers, and maybe more awards.
Good post (due to an infraction I'm currently unable to like posts).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back