Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the best performances of the Talent League round by Travaglia who's in a strong vein of form right now. Playing mid/fwd instead of his traditional defensive role, his competitive intensity around the contest helped him win plenty of the ball for his team. He did everything possible to get Bendigo over the line, kicking three goals in quick succession deep in the fourth quarter to put them ahead on the scoreboard, but unfortunately a spate of ill discipline saw them conceded the lead and the game.

This kid is in my top ten for sure and moving up the rankings.

He reminds me of Isaac Heeney when he was a junior.

1E5bfJ.gif

Thanks for reminding me of another two reasons Broad (will be 32 & is already half cooked) and Kosi (even bigger dud than Young, failed as a defender at Hawthorn)
That would still leave 6 KPD options if you exclude Kosi and Broad. I'm a huge fan of El Nour but I can't see us picking him up now given how many chances we've had already.

ESPN June Power Rankings

1 Josh Smillie (May ranking: 1)
Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro
MID, 194cm
Talent League: 5 games, 28.2 disposals, 4.0 marks, 1.6 goals

Smillie is a bulldozing inside midfielder with a penetrating kick, and has put together the best top-age campaign of anyone in his class. Some questions still linger on his outside game and ability to use his height in the air, where his obvious advantages haven't quite come to the fore. The 194cm midfielder started his championships campaign with 17 disposals against the Allies.

2. Finn O'Sullivan (2)
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Country
MID, 182cm
Talent League: 1 game, 15 disposals, 2 marks, 4 tackles

O'Sullivan has endured a frustrating campaign to date, but his ability as a hardworking midfielder with aerial prowess remains unquestioned. The ball-winner is in line to return for Vic Country after playing only two games this year due to hand injuries.

3. Sid Draper (6)
South Adelaide/South Australia
MID, 182cm
2023SANFL U18s: 14 games, 21.6 disposals, 4.2 clearances, 0.6 goals

All of Draper's power and class have been on display for South Australia at the carnival after overcoming a stress fracture earlier in the year. He's a brute on the inside, belying his size to win contested ball and explode from contest. Draper won his state's MVP last year and is on track to do so again.

4. Jagga Smith (4)
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
MID, 181cm
Talent League: 5 games, 30.6 disposals, 3.6 marks, 2.8 tackles

Smith has led from the front for a disappointing Chargers team, and led all players on the ground with 32 disposals for Vic Metro. He takes the ball from the inside to outside better than anyone in the draft and has the neat skills to release players into space by hand and foot.

5. Levi Ashcroft (3)
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
MID, 179cm
Talent League: 3 games, 27.3 disposals, 4.7 marks, 1.3 goals

The younger brother of Will, Levi Ashcroft has similar accumulation ability and can hit the scoreboard when play forward of centre. He doesn't possess Will's top-end speed but his hands in congestion are more developed at this stage of his career. Ashcroft is linked to the Lions through their academy and father-son ties.

6. Leonardo Lombard (9)
SUNS Academy/Allies
MID/FWD, 178cm
Talent League: 2 games, 25.0 disposals, 2.5 marks, 0.5 goals

Lombard has starred at the national championships, ripping the ball out of contests and proving ultra damaging in the forward half. He won a VFL premiership last year and has split his time between the Talent League and VFL this season.

Rest of the rankings here

As a midfielder, Kako is becoming a serious weapon for the Cannons either as a first hands stoppage winner, or more commonly as a dangerous first receiver who bursts clear and delivers a creative and attacking ball by hand or foot. His accuracy on shots at goal continues to be an issue, but his field kicking is a weapon so perhaps his conversion issues are a case of the yips or a technical flaw that can be addressed.

Looks like Miers, plays like Papley. Like.

(Get a haircut, son.)

There was a lot to get excited about with this performance by the 197cm key forward Charlie Nicholls. He moved super well, presenting all over the ground and drawing the footy. He competed well in the air, always at least halving the contest and providing his smaller forwards with ground level opportunities. He dropped some marks that he would expect to clunk, but his hands became increasingly sticky as the game progressed and he gained in confidence. The one area for concern would have to be his set shot kicking which has been wayward through the Champs series so far.

That would still leave 6 KPD options if you exclude Kosi and Broad. I'm a huge fan of El Nour but I can't see us picking him up now given how many chances we've had already.
He's been injured - would've been picked up in the MSD otherwise.
There was a lot to get excited about with this performance by the 197cm key forward Charlie Nicholls. He moved super well, presenting all over the ground and drawing the footy. He competed well in the air, always at least halving the contest and providing his smaller forwards with ground level opportunities. He dropped some marks that he would expect to clunk, but his hands became increasingly sticky as the game progressed and he gained in confidence. The one area for concern would have to be his set shot kicking which has been wayward through the Champs series so far.

when-harry-met-sally.gif

(Billy Crystal at the end is for the part about his set shot kicking...)

He's been injured - would've been picked up in the MSD otherwise.

when-harry-met-sally.gif

(Billy Crystal at the end is for the part about his set shot kicking...)
Not sure about that considering he's due back in a few weeks. If we thought he was a long term prospect we'd have taken him, it's not like we're challenging for finals and desperate for him right this second. Pickett was out for 2 months when we selected him. We could've got El Nour last MSD or the ND, RD, or SSP, yet we didn't.

Not sure about that considering he's due back in a few weeks. If we thought he was a long term prospect we'd have taken him, it's not like we're challenging for finals and desperate for him right this second. Pickett was out for 2 months when we selected him. We could've got El Nour last MSD or the ND, RD, or SSP, yet we didn't.
I don't just mean by us....a number of teams were looking at him....as for Pickett , in 2019 we were heading for a flag, had a mostly fit list and could afford the punt...we were hardly going to draft another injured player this year given our current injury list....(Btw we all know "due back in a couple weeks" in Meehanspeak could mean anything..)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zak seems to be a footballer in search of a position, or perhaps just an old school utility that can play very well no matter where he is on the ground. He started this game in the floating/intercepting defensive role that we've seen him playing the last month or so at Talent League level, but with the Knights getting overrun in through the midfield he was enlisted to help onball in the third quarter. He responded with a big term, finding the footy and surging his team forward, getting involved in multiple scoring chains and even getting on the end of one himself.

ESPN June Power Rankings

1 Josh Smillie (May ranking: 1)
Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro
MID, 194cm
Talent League: 5 games, 28.2 disposals, 4.0 marks, 1.6 goals

Smillie is a bulldozing inside midfielder with a penetrating kick, and has put together the best top-age campaign of anyone in his class. Some questions still linger on his outside game and ability to use his height in the air, where his obvious advantages haven't quite come to the fore. The 194cm midfielder started his championships campaign with 17 disposals against the Allies.

2. Finn O'Sullivan (2)
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Country
MID, 182cm
Talent League: 1 game, 15 disposals, 2 marks, 4 tackles

O'Sullivan has endured a frustrating campaign to date, but his ability as a hardworking midfielder with aerial prowess remains unquestioned. The ball-winner is in line to return for Vic Country after playing only two games this year due to hand injuries.

3. Sid Draper (6)
South Adelaide/South Australia
MID, 182cm
2023SANFL U18s: 14 games, 21.6 disposals, 4.2 clearances, 0.6 goals

All of Draper's power and class have been on display for South Australia at the carnival after overcoming a stress fracture earlier in the year. He's a brute on the inside, belying his size to win contested ball and explode from contest. Draper won his state's MVP last year and is on track to do so again.

4. Jagga Smith (4)
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
MID, 181cm
Talent League: 5 games, 30.6 disposals, 3.6 marks, 2.8 tackles

Smith has led from the front for a disappointing Chargers team, and led all players on the ground with 32 disposals for Vic Metro. He takes the ball from the inside to outside better than anyone in the draft and has the neat skills to release players into space by hand and foot.

5. Levi Ashcroft (3)
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
MID, 179cm
Talent League: 3 games, 27.3 disposals, 4.7 marks, 1.3 goals

The younger brother of Will, Levi Ashcroft has similar accumulation ability and can hit the scoreboard when play forward of centre. He doesn't possess Will's top-end speed but his hands in congestion are more developed at this stage of his career. Ashcroft is linked to the Lions through their academy and father-son ties.

6. Leonardo Lombard (9)
SUNS Academy/Allies
MID/FWD, 178cm
Talent League: 2 games, 25.0 disposals, 2.5 marks, 0.5 goals

Lombard has starred at the national championships, ripping the ball out of contests and proving ultra damaging in the forward half. He won a VFL premiership last year and has split his time between the Talent League and VFL this season.

Rest of the rankings here
Watched Draper last few matches - "brute" and "exploding from stoppages" were not words I would use. Must be looking at different player. I would call conservative and deliberate, lacks vibrancy unlike a Bont or Danger. Skillful yes.

Great hands , cnt of a kick , reminds of max king , could see us drafting him and torturing us for years , 30 something pic I’d say, nice appetite for the contest I must say

Watching him kick for goal began to hurt my eyes

bloke is a dud

From what i have been reading the general consensus is that the top 4-5 are reasonably close and any one of them could be #1-#4 and then there are another 25-30 players that really could go anywhere in the top 30 and a strong draft pool of around 40 kids.

Looks like a good year to have 5 picks inside 30
Being mid heavy i wonder if this means we sort our midfield out this draft, then a free agent forward end of next year?

Being mid heavy i wonder if this means we sort our midfield out this draft, then a free agent forward end of next year?
The only good RFA that are KPF in 2025 are Darcy Fogarty and Oscar Allen. I doubt that either of them would want to leave their home states.

We should have a massive war chest to throw at Ben King or Jack Lukosius in 2026.

Dusty and Prestia's contracts are finishing this year and Lynch's contract finishes in 2025. Potentially Bolton's contract also if he was traded.

The only good RFA that are KPF in 2025 are Darcy Fogarty and Oscar Allen. I doubt that either of them would want to leave their home states.

We should have a massive war chest to throw at Ben King or Jack Lukosius in 2026.

Dusty and Prestia's contracts are finishing this year and Lynch's contract finishes in 2025. Potentially Bolton's contract also if he was traded.
When is JUH out of contract? A couple more years down the bottom and then fill in the missing pieces with trades/FA

Back