Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is starting to sound like Baz is keen to stay but the players and staff are not happy with him. Though I'm thinking it's blown out of proportion and it's really a small group that aren't happy and a couple of the leaders and staff. The way he trains hard from recovery at the club and attends games and is watching them play on while holiday doesn't show that the players and staff are unhappy or otherwise he'd distance himself.

I'm on the get a KPD as top priority bandwagon also. Keath is very close to the end, I'm not confident that Jones will be as good as he is next season, Buku is a stop-gap, Gardner is not AFL standard. That leaves just O'Donnell as a reliable mainstay of our talls in defence. Who that KPD is and how we get him is a major challenge but the need is certainly urgent.
PS I haven't mentioned Busslinger because I have no idea what the club intends to do with him.

This is starting to sound like Baz is keen to stay but the players and staff are not happy with him. Though I'm thinking it's blown out of proportion and it's really a small group that aren't happy and a couple of the leaders and staff. The way he trains hard from recovery at the club and attends games and is watching them play on while holiday doesn't show that the players and staff are unhappy or otherwise he'd distance himself.
Funny how this is leading toward "don't believe everything you reas on bigfooty", just like people who didn't like Bevo couldn't wait at the chance at stages last year to exaggerate, misunderstand, or just make up the fact that Bevo was gone and/or was hated by others at the club.

FWIW what I've heard with Smith is that he's an in demand player at other clubs because those clubs see value in his work ethic, professionalism, ability to take direction and hard running. Dogs had to suffer through some of his disposal in 2022 and 23 that was poor and don't rate his on field value as highly as a result. There sa subsequent battle for an out of contract player as a result and it's not really anything more sinister than that.

Not sure we would get Geelongs future 1st and 14 for Baz (even with our F2 going back). I could see it being Baz and F3 for 14 and F2 and I'd be okay with that.

We really need to resign Busslinger though. JOD should improve again and be a solid best 22 second key defender next year. Buss can grow into a role as a 3rd tall. Jones at 85 years old is a worry but outside of Barrass I can't see any other potential replacements. Would like Bews as a cheap Duryea replacement though.

FB: News, Jones, Buss
HB: Dale, JOD, Bramble
Int: JJ/Duryea/Freijah

How could we justify asking for a first round pick for Busslinger when he hasn’t even been given a debut yet. Unfortunately it’s going to be for a mid round pick unless he’s given games to show what he’s capable of.
Was pick 13 and I would hardly say he has regressed. I’d give up pick 13 for him in this draft. He’s had 2 years development for his scrawny body and to get over his initial injuries and his numbers and the performance in the VFL have been excellent in recent times. Have a look at the games he’s put together in the last few weeks. He’s absolutely worth that on the market. Walks straight into many sides next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t think of anyone else in the game that’s gone overseas during rehab in the middle of a season. Understand Bailey struggles with mental health but I still think it’s staggering.
Libba

Just found an Age article from 2015, he was scheduled and approved to go to Europe with mates but after failing some other commitments the club changed it to Thailand

So we have form in giving ACL recovery a break mid year. It's an absolute nothing issue

Last edited:
I can’t think of anyone else in the game that’s gone overseas during rehab in the middle of a season. Understand Bailey struggles with mental health but I still think it’s staggering.
Nathan Brown went to the US (I think) when he broke his leg a few years ago.

Didn't DeGoey go to Bali during recovery a couple of years back?

Nathan Brown went to the US (I think) when he broke his leg a few years ago.

Didn't DeGoey go to Bali during recovery a couple of years back?
And Cooney to Germany for his knee. Or was that in the off season?

I don't really understand why him going overseas is a big deal to be honest.

When he's been here he's contributed to the young guys. He's clearly been given the chance to get away to get his head around things, if he's going to leave he will leave regardless, if there's a chance the club thinks giving him this time away may help us retain him then that's fine as well. He's a pro, he'd be doing his rehab whilst overseas - and hey, we're actually playing really good football at the moment, maybe him going away has meant less distraction.

Can't recall if I posted here or in DM
But fox footy is reporting Bont holding out till end of year to re-sign

Something I mentioned a few months back

Darcy expected to get a 5 year massive extension

Can't recall if I posted here or in DM
But fox footy is reporting Bont holding out till end of year to re-sign

Something I mentioned a few months back

Darcy expected to get a 5 year massive extension

Bont probably wants to concentrate
on this year and the footy ahead rather than think of extensions now.

Bont probably wants to concentrate
on this year and the footy ahead rather than think of extensions now.
Agreed
Bont will get his mil+ contract this time around
Doesn't need to take a paycut

Agreed
Bont will get his mil+ contract this time around
Doesn't need to take a paycut

We will never know however Bont would get offers of $1.5m+ in the current environment to swap clubs. He is well paid now $1m+

Will he get a massive pay rise for next contract ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back