Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

We aren't going anywhere picking up scrap players like Clark. Hit the draft for mids and KPD. Once those mids come through in the next 2 to 3 years we can then add the missing gaps via FA as we should be an attractive option with Darcy, Marra and Naughton being huge key pillars to get a flag with.

Darcy could literally be Gawn level good in 2 to 3 years he's unbelievable

Hunter Clark would could be that mid. Not sure why he's not getting a game at saints unless injured or it's likely he doesn't fit Lyon's game plan.
Asked a Saints following friend, he said there is no polish or finesse to his game. A slam ball on boot as soon as he gets it type.

Assuming Bevo goes sometime around midseason I don't want to see the classic "play the kids" (with one exception).
Caleb, Jack, and Williams should be given the maximum opportunity to prove their worth. Play Caleb as an HHF. Try Jack down back. Leave Williams on the wing. This will optimise their trade value, or show the club the value of keeping them. It is the smart and ethical thing to do.

The exception is Duryea. I admire him but he would have little trade value. Cleary should be given the opportunity to cement this spot. He may not make it but at least we will know. If possible I would like to see Duryea stay with the club in a development role.

As much as it pains me, a lot of players that head to Geelong aren't doing it for money, they're doing it for culture and to win. Scott is that type of coach that will attract players purely on the winning / culture standpoint and it seems like a lot of them are happy to buy in at a lower dollar amount to rack up those wins.

You might be right, but I'm sure they get plenty of um, incentives, to go there. Doubt all this 'get me home' stuff is as innocent and as pure as it seems.

It is fun to joke about Geelong giving every player it recruits a couple of empty blocks of land in Armstrong Creek but they are just a fantastically run football club. Now the unfair advantage the dimensions of their ground give them, that is a different story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I haven’t been a fan of during Power’s reign has been tacking on extra years to fringe players. Zero reason Baker, Poulter etc…. should have gotten anything except one year deals.
Cannot agree more. Throw Gards into the same discussion

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cannot agree more. Throw Gards into the same discussion

You almost have to laugh at Gardy having a contract through to the end of 2026 while finding himself so far down the pecking order (or development priority) for KPD that he’s been shifted into the ruck for Footscray.

You almost have to laugh at Gardy having a contract through to the end of 2026 while finding himself so far down the pecking order (or development priority) for KPD that he’s been shifted into the ruck for Footscray.

The funny thing is Busslinger looks at best 50/50 to stay and Keath will retire this year. So Gardner will likely be our backup for Jones & O’Donell from next year. With Jones probably retiring the year after. So I can rationalise that one a bit. The two year deals for cast offs I can’t really justify.

considering the amount of picks we gave up for jamarra and darcy + lobb trade and 3 1st rounders for sanders. have we stuffed up? i feel the last 3 years have left us light in talent pool and we're forced to recruit scraps

considering the amount of picks we gave up for jamarra and darcy + lobb trade and 3 1st rounders for sanders. have we stuffed up? i feel the last 3 years have left us light in talent pool and we're forced to recruit scraps

I’d rather have Marra and Darcy than a bunch of late picks.

We should and can hit the draft hard the next few years and rebuild that young talent pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This was primarily exacerbated by not continuing to turn over rookies and late picks to develop younger talent. Too many times we just shuffled rookies who on the whole never made it.

The terminology list cloggers was most appropriate for our use of the rookie system since 2017

I’d rather have Marra and Darcy than a bunch of late picks.

We should and can hit the draft hard the next few years and rebuild that young talent pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
This was primarily exacerbated by not continuing to turn over rookies and late picks to develop younger talent. Too many times we just shuffled rookies who on the whole never made it.

The terminology list cloggers was most appropriate for our use of the rookie system since 2017

im not doubting their ability for 1 sec and they have potential to be great players. but its a team sport and look at geelong (they dont have many "top" players who are top picks) but rather a collective system + coaching

vs

most of our players outside 1st round draft have been inconsistent (excluding daniel, L jones,dale)

Last edited:

You had to take Marra and Darcy just had to

You had to take Marra and Darcy just had to
yeh i know that...
what my point is and its the sanders pick swap, did we give up far too much especially what we have picked up in recent years with those picks we had (naughton, english, weightman) who contribute a lot to the team

yeh i know that...
what my point is and its the sanders pick swap, did we give up far too much especially what we have picked up in recent years with those picks we had (naughton, english, weightman) who contribute a lot to the team

We got Croft too (who would have swallowed up one of those 1sts).

Other clubs would envy our position. It’s very rare to have this many shots at the top end of the draft in a short period of time unless you’re an absolute basket case like North.

Plus you can’t ignore the fact Gags and Garcia are later picks now playing in the seniors

Remove this Banner Ad

Back