Recommitted Tom Papley [wanted to return to Victoria, nominated Carlton - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Whenever there is a trade in progress between two clubs you can guarantee a hawks fan will chime into the discussion and announce how their club can get the player because "everyone wants to go to the hawks right"? Hawthorn arrogance.
I’d take that deal of 11, 30, 49 and bid on McGuinnes...which Hawks would no longer be able to match:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since when have Carlton fans been so agreeable and sensible ?
Far too much common sense and realistic discussion happening.
Something is wrong.
As much as opposition fans like to throw the "remember the Gibbs situation" in our face, I genuinely think we did learn that contracted players require overs - and should require overs - for the purpose of equitability. We got handsomely rewarded in the Gibbs trade but also lost a valuable and consistent performer who was rarely injured and our midfield was very shallow as well. So we do get that losing top players with contracts is a bitter pill to swallow and clubs should have to pay a bit more.

Also we dont have a small forward to save ourselves...Papley would be great

As much as opposition fans like to throw the "remember the Gibbs situation" in our face, I genuinely think we did learn that contracted players require overs - and should require overs - for the purpose of equitability. We got handsomely rewarded in the Gibbs trade but also lost a valuable and consistent performer who was rarely injured and our midfield was very shallow as well. So we do get that losing top players with contracts is a bitter pill to swallow and clubs should have to pay a bit more.

Hopefully none of our trade partners are as stubborn as Young Reid was in 2016.

whats the point of nominating a club if you're just going to be shopped around anyway.

clearly wants carlton, so i doubt they will be looking elsewhere

Because we can hold him to his 4 year contract if we don't get the deal that makes us want to give him up.

So he said he is happy to go anywhere to increase the chances of a deal happening.

And like clockwork his manager comes out and says that his preference is Carlton but you never know what can happen at trade time. Can’t see him being at any other club than Carlton though

And like clockwork his manager comes out and says that his preference is Carlton but you never know what can happen at trade time. Can’t see him being at any other club than Carlton though
Yeah agreed. Carlton have put in a lot of leg work into engaging with Papley. Whilst there have been examples from the past of players switching at the last minute, it is unlikely. I think he will get to Carlton but his management would want to apply the pressure to get Papley the best deal and ensure Carlton pay up so he can leave Sydney. I think this trade will happen in the final two days

Yeah agreed. Carlton have put in a lot of leg work into engaging with Papley. Whilst there have been examples from the past of players switching at the last minute, it is unlikely. I think he will get to Carlton but his management would want to apply the pressure to get Papley the best deal and ensure Carlton pay up so he can leave Sydney. I think this trade will happen in the final two days

I wonder what Matthew Lloyd thinks of this.

On paper, it looks all good. Carlton have a need, Sydney would definitely rather keep him but he wants to move. Not only that but if this thread is anything to go by, slight overs is satisfied with pick 9 also. (at least i agree). If someone had asked me what a sensible price might be it probably would have been around 10-15 with his form and age.

Looks like it just needs to go through the formal bullshyt process for the first week. We say No Way, Required, Contracted, We want more, blah blah ...his manager desperately looks for another club or two with a vague interest, in an attempt to up his price, Carlton sit on an early potentially fair price of perhaps pick 9, and we all just wait until late next week.

Of course we dont want him to go and would be happier if no trade happened, but i;m trying to be realistic...we rarely stand in the way of requests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Tom Papley [wanted to return to Victoria, nominated Carlton - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back