Toby Greene makes contact with umpire - Update: Suspension Increased to 6 weeks on Appeal

What will happen to Toby?

• Gone - 4 weeks or more

Votes: 129 24.3%
  • Gone - 1-3 weeks

Votes: 278 52.5%
  • Fine only

Votes: 99 18.7%
  • Innocent - play on.

Votes: 24 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If it’s judged like a Selwood : the intent was there but no injury- ( or in this case no apparent contact .....I’m still not convinced) then he will get off .
His intent was intimidating and there is no way you pull that sh*t on umpires .
They get a bad wrap but jeez what they do is bloody difficult.
Problem is the system is so ****ed its hard to tell how they role, Because he didnt make contact, but it was intimidating, But a player like selwood would get off, but Toby Greene past record.

So if Toby threw a punch and the ump saw it coming and dodged it - that’s ok coz he didn’t make contact?

just curious because it looked to me like he truly tried to shoulder/intimidate the ump, or at the very least lost his temper and thought “**** you, I’m going to walk right through you”.

if the Ump instinctively pulled himself out of the way at the last minute, it doesnt reduce the intent of what went on.

So if Toby threw a punch and the ump saw it coming and dodged it - that’s ok coz he didn’t make contact?

just curious because it looked to me like he truly tried to shoulder/intimidate the ump, or at the very least lost his temper and thought “fu** you, I’m going to walk right through you”.

if the Ump instinctively pulled himself out of the way at the last minute, it doesnt reduce the intent of what went on.
We've seen plenty of evidence in the past of Outcome being more important then Action.

Very true “outcome rather than intent” has driven the MRP results for a long time! So it’s a big tossup as to what will happen. The AFL has the room to manufacture whatever result they want.

An interesting one. Given Greene basically made absolutely zero attempt to avoid contact with the umpire (who tried pretty hard to avoid all contact). On the other hand the contact was extremely minor/non existent and wasn't super aggressive. More like low key intimidation i guess.

Who knows what they'll do, but I do know Greene puts himself in these situations all the time, you can't pretend he's the victim here. A smarter/more self controlled person would have simply not tried to walk through the umpire.

He approached Stevic like a North Richmond safe injecting room client approaches the deposit counter in the local Cash Converters

Whilst Stevic was stationary, Greene was walking quickly, animated and pointing towards Stevic. Even this could elicit 18.8.1 "Umpires shall be protected from unreasonable contact and behaviour whilst performing their duties. "

The contact is inconsequential due only to Stevic avoiding the impact however impact did take place. Four to six weeks and immediate removal from the hub back to Sydney so he can't slip into Victoria.

What surprises me is that not one team mate attempted to intervene.

Last second moves by both umpire and Greene to avoid contact. The slo mo shows no shoulder bump but doesn’t show if there was or wasn’t at least slight contact.
Umpire will have his say, might say there was no contact but the umpire should not have to move like that to avoid an aggressive player arguing with and intimidating them.
Will be a fascinating week ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah, total impact while attempting to walk through him.

now you’re just trolling

View attachment 1219922

Some camera angles shorten the distance (actors are never close to the explosion they’re diving to safety from) Other angles show more clearly the actual distance between to people.

not even close

Total Toby Beat Up
Lol this is literally a photo from a few seconds later. Are you actually stupid?

just curious because it looked to me like he truly tried to shoulder/intimidate the ump, or at the very least lost his temper and thought “fu** you, I’m going to walk right through you”.

Was gonna post this exact thing but no need to, this is perfectly put.

Last second moves by both umpire and Greene to avoid contact. The slo mo shows no shoulder bump but doesn’t show if there was or wasn’t at least slight contact.
Umpire will have his say, might say there was no contact but the umpire should not have to move like that to avoid an aggressive player arguing with and intimidating them.
Will be a fascinating week ahead.

back-pedal-bike.gif

Green is a tool - why???? would you put yourself at risk like this? Obviously intentional (shakes head) what idiocy . . .

He approached Stevic like a North Richmond safe injecting room client approaches the deposit counter in the local Cash Converters

Whilst Stevic was stationary, Greene was walking quickly, animated and pointing towards Stevic. Even this could elicit 18.8.1 "Umpires shall be protected from unreasonable contact and behaviour whilst performing their duties. "

The contact is inconsequential due only to Stevic avoiding the impact however impact did take place. Four to six weeks and immediate removal from the hub back to Sydney so he can't slip into Victoria.

What surprises me is that not one team mate attempted to intervene.

an excellent summary of the whole sordid affair

Remove this Banner Ad

Toby Greene makes contact with umpire - Update: Suspension Increased to 6 weeks on Appeal

Back