Recommitted Tim Kelly [exploring trade options home to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

"He will go to West Coast and if he doesn’t he will be playing at Geelong then he will leave the year after."

Sounds a but ultimatum-y.

Nothing wrong with the statement, but better not in the public forum where people can misconstrue the context to match their agenda.
It’s not as if their conducting negotiations purely via the media. I’m sure there are realistic discussions being had behind closed doors.

The AFL system inspires a funny sense of entitlement in fans. Player movement is so restricted that every time a player doesn't want to play for a club, everyone loses their shit. There are plenty of players just as good as Kelly running around, but Geelong know they can't just go out and sign another one. The system is way too rigid for that.

If you look at the NRL which doesn't have a draft or a trade period, players come and go all the time. Kieran Foran was a $1m recruit for Parramatta, his life fell apart and he was releaseed from his contract after 9 games. Played one year in NZ and is now with the Bulldogs. The idea that any AFL team would release a marquee player from a contract and allow them to just play for another team the next year is so at odds with what people are conditioned to.

I still don't believe first year draftees should be tradeable, but every kid that is drafted by a club and wants to leave is immediately seen as some kind of turncoat who is letting down the club that raised them from a pup. Weird.

Freo charged pick 2 for Weller, and are looking for more than 4 for Neale so going by that one would think that they would pay 5 or 6 for Kelly given how they rate the market

Is kelly a million dollar player? Is that what Geelong are proposing to pay him or wce? Welller apparently got 750k.

If he is getting 400k a year - that’s a 12-18 pick sorry for someone who is 24.

Otherwise offer him a pay rise worthy of how u rate him.

It’s not as if their conducting negotiations purely via the media. I’m sure there are realistic discussions being had behind closed doors.

No doubt, but much has been made public already. It's not a good look.

Negotiations would have gone on between Port and WC about Scott Lycett. Band compo and he's yours, band 3 and we'll match and force a trade. That sort of thing. None of that would have been helped by Kochy or some other Port nuffy coming out and saying 'We WILL sign him, we will NOT trade' and Nisbett countering with 'We WILL match any offer, he is OUR player'.

Issuing ultimatums on Monday in trade week is not a smart move by any party.

If you took everything said to date seriously you could conclude that Kelly will never play for Geelong again, will never play for Freo and will either be traded to WC for a more than a top 10 pick or will be banished to the VFL for a year or will sit out a year of footy.

Balance of probabilities says none of the above will actually happen.
I think cats will accept the two second rounders

In some respect that’s a better deal than one mid range first rounder

Methinks Cook is playing to Cats fans in some respects. However like a lot of things I could well be wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are obtuse.

If you don't think that Wells is holding the cards you are in denial.

I bet the AFL is going to go in hard on Van der Wielen too.

Cute.

Geelong hold some of the cards, not all of them. Kelly is a contracted player, and for all the bluff and bluster may still stay another. How fractured the club/player relationship is right now or will be by the end of trade week are unknowns to everyone on here.

West Coast are fine with or without Kelly. If we get him, great. If we don't, life goes on.

Van Diemen or Wells carrying on like pork shops is inconsequential to our fortunes.

This is honestly one of the dumbest ways to rate a players value, hindsight is amazing but in reality Kelly is a lot older than all of the other draftees from last year, re-do the draft when the kids have actually got a few years into them.
No it isn't. I'm basing the selection off his draft age. If he were 18 but with the same wraps then he'd go top 2

Cute.

Geelong hold some of the cards, not all of them. Kelly is a contracted player, and for all the bluff and bluster may still stay another. How fractured the club/player relationship is right now or will be by the end of trade week are unknowns to everyone on here.

West Coast are fine with or without Kelly. If we get him, great. If we don't, life goes on.

Van Diemen or Wells carrying on like pork shops is inconsequential to our fortunes.
Since when was Wells carrying on?

You are making stuff up to suit your narrative.

No it isn't. I'm basing the selection off his draft age. If he were 18 but with the same wraps then he'd go top 2

If you say so.

Dangerfield played 6 years at crows not 1. He also was a free agent and not a contracted player. How many thousand times in this thread does it have to be pointed out before these points register with you eagles fans?

Your anger is misdirected like most Geelong fans in here..he is not the 1st player in contract in nominate a club

If the cats won’t trade fairly keep him.. WC will use the picks in the draft
WC are not doing anything wrong and have had a history of dealing fairly

I think cats will accept the two second rounders

In some respect that’s a better deal than one mid range first rounder

Methinks Cook is playing to Cats fans in some respects. However like a lot of things I could well be wrong

Yep, I said this yesterday and was shouted down for it.

Wells has been doing this a long time, he's not some kid on work experience. He can ask for a top 10 pick or any player on our list, there are no rules against that.

But he knows that we don't have a top 10 pick and he also knows how hard it would be for us to get one. He's just framing the market.

Since when was Wells carrying on?

You are making stuff up to suit your narrative.

“His value has increased enormously and it’s going to have to be an exceptional deal for us to even consider it,” Wells said.

“He’s worth a top 10 pick I would have thought and perhaps more.

“Our intention at the moment is that unless we’re totally satisfied, he’ll be playing with us in 2019.”

Meanwhile Kelly's manager says that Kelly will be at WC or Geelong in 2019 and will join WC at the end of 2019 if not this year and you lot go and start a whole thread about him...

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Tim Kelly [exploring trade options home to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back