This is what shows McRae is a top coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sooking about the umpires after your 1st final, thought he was a bit better than that.

Wouldn’t call it sooking. Merely questioning the facts around Multiple decisions or no HTB calls. From memory two non calls actually cost us goals

We lost and that’s fine. But you should be able to bring up some facts if it’s there. Wasn’t a Hardwick type rage

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Must admit I never noticed if the Tigers VFL boys did or didn’t lie down after a close game

That sort of decree doesn’t seem to match the general vibe of fun/togetherness that Hardwick promotes at Tigerlamd

Might be a new thing this year?

You’ve been melting all weekend. It’s pretty clear which party is currently distressed.

Tick tock.

Yes melting because my team made it through to a semi in the AFL and in the VFL beat Carlton to get into a prelim. Your distress is clouding your judgement friend. It’ll be ok.

Yes melting because my team made it through to a semi in the AFL and in the VFL beat Carlton to get into a prelim. Your distress is clouding your judgement friend. It’ll be ok.
Boy, a lot of short, fractured sentences here.

Clearly under a bit of duress here yourself, and I don’t blame you - the Lions are done as a premiership threat.

I reckon McRae could give a five hour lecture on the meaning of his response and it would be utterly compelling listening.

It would be fantastic if we could quantify Collingwood's performance this year by understanding how much it has been the philosophies of McRae and how much it has been game plan and game style; not that they are inherently dichotomous.

Messages are much easier to hear when you're winning.

One of the stupidest statements I've ever heard a coach say. Guess they should of jumped around celebrating 'not being losers'.
Plenty of games I've seen a side have a close loss and be laughing and smiling with the opposition acting like they don't care, infuriating their supporters.
Lying on the ground showing they actually gave their all and the loss hurts them is exactly what the fans want to see, that they give a s**t.

Shows a man way out of his depth unable to figure out what to do after his first close loss.

Interesting take. Not quite the same thing as it was a knock out final but it takes me back to the 2005 Sydney v Geelong semi final, the Nick Davis game, Sanderson's last game.

That felt at the time like just about the end of my tether as a Geelong supporter. Not so much the loss, but just the lack of surprise that we'd lose like that. Thinking whether losses like that actually hurt the players as much as they hurt the supporters. And then the camera cut to the Geelong players and they were crying. Mooney was sobbing uncontrollably. That was a really defining moment for me as a supporter: there'll be disappointing losses as a supporter, but they'll never hurt us like they hurt the players.

One of the stupidest statements I've ever heard a coach say. Guess they should of jumped around celebrating 'not being losers'.
Plenty of games I've seen a side have a close loss and be laughing and smiling with the opposition acting like they don't care, infuriating their supporters.
Lying on the ground showing they actually gave their all and the loss hurts them is exactly what the fans want to see, that they give a s**t.

Shows a man way out of his depth unable to figure out what to do after his first close loss.
Plenty of lying down from Essendon the past 20 something years!

What is your coach's philosophy on this subject, oh wait there ....

""I said (in the meeting after the game) for the lifetime that I'm sitting in this chair, maybe barring a Grand Final, don't lay on the ground (after a loss)."

I'm not going to respond, but I love this.

I like the sentiment, it's a creative way of saying keep your chin up and reminding the players that their efforts didn't make them 'losers'.

But, I think the direction itself, a bit like Clarko's "no long sleeves" is micromanagement. Every player is different and I think with little things like this good leaders let their people decide what is best for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who the hell was on Johnson? Is he injured, btw?
Thought JDG was one of Pies best, lots of tackles, a couple of goals. A bit of x factor going forward.
Facing Longmuir next week, that will be much closer than most think, given IP knowledge.

Found it a bit over dramatic, especially for a coach who sits there all game in a big warm puffy jacket. Feels like he’s trying to get himself on YouTube as one of those inspirational quotes. Just sounded silly to me.

Haha!!! Took me back to my cricket days when I played under a captain who barked at players for sitting down after a wicket or during a drinks break. I used to think, "It's okay for you standing at 1st slip picking your nose all day, I've bowled 20 overs and ran around in the outfield all day in the hot sun" :)

I think proof McRae is a top coach is the comparison between Collingwood 2021 and now. Speaks for itself, he's done a great job.

Mcrae is clearly an upbeat bloke. People perform better when they feel good about themselves, he's spread the optimism around.

Pies are hard, too. I reckon that comes from a commitment to the team.

I would also think the team plan is great, how they harrass and close down the ball carrier causing errors is incredible. As a fan, I can imagine loving this knowing every week the team will get stuck in.

On one hand I like that the pies showed it hurt and meant something

but I also like that mcrae lays down rules and demands the squad obey and respectfully calls out deviations from expectations

Last edited:
I was just thinking that it's surprising no-one has gone the s**t take that this is toxic masculinity - went to twitter and someone has actually drawn that bow.

Personally i think it's a bit stupid but harmless, but jeez there may be some terrible takes from this.

But that's the thing, who here or there is qualified to say one way or the other?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back