Things that sh*t me the seventeenth

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, it's poor management to allow someone to accumulate that much leave. I assume there is some long service leave in there?

yea there is some long service leave in there, it is very poor, they have asked her about her leave, but that conversation was you have quite a bit of leave built up and nothing else was said, she was going to take holidays with me back in april/may, but they asked her to cancel it because someone quit and another was away

Condolences. I was struck down with this last week and barely pulled through
My wife has a stressful week so fingers crossed I don’t get it as bad as my son claims it is. Just lethargic, runny nose and cough.

We were discussing recently at work what is the optimum length of leave at landed on 3 weeks.

1 week - never stop thinking about work and no-one covers you as "it's only a week"
2 weeks - first week still getting into holiday mode; second week thinking about returning. Also still come back to a shitload of work piled up.
3 weeks - at least a solid week where you're not thinking about work and long enough for someone else to have to do your work while you're away.
4+ weeks - thoughts of retirement start creeping in and it's a mental mountain to climb when you go back to work.

I took 3.5 weeks earlier this year and by the third week I’d decided I needed a new job!!!

It's routine for me in that no matter if I have 1-4 weeks off, I'll return to a backlog that built up while I was gone. My recent QLD trip in Feb/March, they only started looking at the backlog of my department the Thursday before I returned (so 2 out of 20 days lol). Came back and had to hit the ground running.

I've also got 6+ months of leave to use (and more taking sick leave into account). Haven't had a "too much leave, use it by x date" conversation since 2017.

Today's irrits:

1 - People clogging up parking bays with shopping trolley when the TROLLEY RETURN is less than 25m walk
2 - At the bank only one teller on and having to wait 20 minutes (i was exchanging coins for notes)
3 - From 1 November 2024, you will no longer be able to use cheques or deposit cash into your Macquarie Accounts

Wife was in a car accident today. Thankfully she is OK aside from a bruised knee and a headache/sore neck. It was not her fault, she was hit from behind and then nudged into another car in front.

It's all the extra stuff that is such a pain. Waiting for the assessment to see if it's written off or not, we have to go and buy a new car seat, get it installed in the rental (which we are reimbursed for). Getting to the rental car place was a pain in the arse too. To have me added to drive the rental is $8 a day (we didn't bother). Another $25 a day if we had a car seat added to the rental. We have to buy a new car seat anyway but **** me, it can be an ordeal.

how slow the postal deliveries are taking from Australia to Germany at the moment

posted something EXPRESS on May 25, and it still hasn't been delivered

Today's irrits:

1 - People clogging up parking bays with shopping trolley when the TROLLEY RETURN is less than 25m walk

My first job was a trolley collector at Woolies (aka a male cashier), and campaigners would look you straight in the eyes and leave it wedged into a bike rack. Insane behaviour.

The solar feed tariff is **** all and now it’ll be practically nothing with them dropping it another 33%, what’s the ****ing point?
Yep solar is almost pointless unless you get the battery now. We have reduced our power bill by at least 75% since getting a battery, should pay for itself in 3-4 years especially if power prices keep going up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep solar is almost pointless unless you get the battery now. We have reduced our power bill by at least 75% since getting a battery, should pay for itself in 3-4 years especially if power prices keep going up.
the setup in victoria isn't great for batteries for most people

feed in sucks but the payback on a battery is generally the entire warranty period or longer at the moment

if you have solar already you can get a better idea for yourself of whether its good but it varies so widely here

i think they're trying to push people into getting them whether they make financial sense or not to help manage the grid

the setup in victoria isn't great for batteries for most people

feed in sucks but the payback on a battery is generally the entire warranty period or longer at the moment

if you have solar already you can get a better idea for yourself of whether its good but it varies so widely here

i think they're trying to push people into getting them whether they make financial sense or not to help manage the grid
What do you mean the setup for batteries isn’t good in Victoria?

I was speaking to a guy the other night who was looking in to buying an electric vehicle and using the battery in that as his “solar storage “ that way he gets the vehicle and the storage in one. Not sure if his idea is feasible or an option though.

Today's irrits:

2 - At the bank only one teller on and having to wait 20 minutes (i was exchanging coins for notes)
3 - From 1 November 2024, you will no longer be able to use cheques or deposit cash into your Macquarie Accounts
1. Ditto! Or they leave them in a parking space, or just about anywhere else.

2. YOU HAVE A BANK WITH TELLERS???

3. My bank finished cheques in March 🙁. My poor late FIL would have been lost. He conducted his whole financial life via his cheque books.

I was speaking to a guy the other night who was looking in to buying an electric vehicle and using the battery in that as his “solar storage “ that way he gets the vehicle and the storage in one. Not sure if his idea is feasible or an option though.
what I mean is the sunlight we get, the way the electricity tarrifs and rates work, the time periods they have setup, the whole lot means that for a lot of people by the time you pay off the cost of the battery you're 10-12 years down the track, maybe more

The solar feed tariff is **** all and now it’ll be practically nothing with them dropping it another 33%, what’s the ****ing point?
We were lucky to get in on the ground floor with quite a high feed in tariff. It can’t be lowered until 2028 unless we’re silly enough to change providers. They still managed to find a reason to knock a cent off though 🙄

what I mean is the sunlight we get, the way the electricity tarrifs and rates work, the time periods they have setup, the whole lot means that for a lot of people by the time you pay off the cost of the battery you're 10-12 years down the track, maybe more
Ahh yes that would be a huge factor.

The people in AFL media who think its a good idea to put content into a video and force you to watch it to get information. I see this link about gettable trade prospects and I just want to read it. They do it all the time and there are many reasons why people cant, wont or dont want to watch them.

A friend used his during a power outage to power his TV to watch footy.

A friend used his during a power outage to power his TV to watch footy.
that only works if you've been setup to be independent of the grid

same with solar, you have to be able to isolate and run offline or you get force shut down

having a battery doesn't automatically mean you are setup like that either

that only works if you've been setup to be independent of the grid

same with solar, you have to be able to isolate and run offline or you get force shut down

having a battery doesn't automatically mean you are setup like that either
Yeah there are many different setups with battery. If we know the day is cloudy and it won’t fill up very quick we can fill the battery up from the grid at a cheap rate then at night when it is a more peak rate we use the battery we loaded up saving a bit of $$.

Yeah there are many different setups with battery. If we know the day is cloudy and it won’t fill up very quick we can fill the battery up from the grid at a cheap rate then at night when it is a more peak rate we use the battery we loaded up saving a bit of $$.
I think I’d rather just flick a switch and pay the going rate. Like we’ve always done…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back