The young Macedonian, Will Pucovski

Remove this Banner Ad

The point of the “nowhere to go” comment is Hughes’ stance early in his career meant he couldn’t move inside the ball to let it go and couldn’t duck without also turning his back to the ball.
I understand the point, but I disputed that you have "nowhere to go".

Nowhere GOOD to go is a better way of saying it.

truly a disappointing end to someone with so much promise, but it does beg to ask the question. did he always have this problem at facing the short ball? or did it develop from elsewhere?

i saw some of his early performances (blame being a bored uni student over summers before COVID) and his best was really, really good, but the fatal flaw of his technique (which others had pointed out) is that he'd constantly lean into the short ball and get hit. it defies logic, and surely, for someone who'd be picked up reasonably early as a potential test player, this habit/deficiency would have been spotted and "ironed out" by performance/batting coaches, right? by the second, third time he'd been concussed someone at the bushrangers or cricaus must've put some question marks up regarding the quality of his technique.

i also think the talks about his mental health are some of the most bullshit you could possibly say. it's ridiculously incredulous to connect those two things together as a reason why he shouldn't be playing cricket

overall, i realistically think that this call should've been made a few summers back, think of the comparisons to AFL players like paddy mccartin who've continuously gotten knocks to the head and caused concussions, even the slightest ones are seriously bad. cricket balls are hard, when they're bowled at 70kmph they hurt (from experience). when they're bowled at 130+, they'll ****ing hurt. any hit to the head is bad, but the fact that it'd happened so many times already shows the lack of care that the coaches may have had for him.

australia needs to take concussions far more seriously across all sporting codes, not just AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

The young Macedonian, Will Pucovski

Remove this Banner Ad

Back