Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Two separate threads.

Things that make you sad.
Things that make you feel old.

Did a search. Found two really old threads.

Another thread made a good point.....You know you're old when you realize you no longer can achieve your childhood dream.

The above threads both worth a read. Neither is a glib angle. Staying sexually attractive to a vital age range is so fundamental that when it starts waning it's crushing.

We always think we're invincible and have all the time in the world for everything....fulfilling our dreams, achieving our goals, correcting mistakes.

But decades sneak up on you, destroys sense of self-worth and possibility of happiness. The darkness of dealing with a midlife crisis.

How reaching 40-50+ is all about somehow finding purpose in your life now that your life has ceased holding purpose that exists only for the young.....

1) Accept that you're old looking. Accept wrinkles, gray hair, turkey neck. Worse is the onset of issues like arthritis, liver, bladder, bowel, cancer, etc. So stop sinking money into anti-aging creams that are not gonna help. Stop trying to look younger, pretending to still be younger. Embrace your age/appearance, and focus instead on your health. Exercise, good posture, slim, toned, active, learn to genuinely smile and give off rosy vibes.

2) Important to have money to sustain you thru 20+ years after retirement. But money is pointless without physical health. Maybe you need to keep working. Even to just exist and have a semblance of life.

3) Remember making friends is not organic anymore like it was teens-20s. Heart-breaking for older people trying to make friends, thinking it's just a matter of being out and about randomly interacting with people. Doesn't work that way anymore. 40-50+ realize you're unwanted. To make friends you have to join groups, particular social activities, book clubs, cooking classes, computer course, weekend wine tasting, etc.

4) Finding a new purpose in your life 40-50+ is different to what purpose seemed like at teens, at 20s, at 30s. Life has now passed you by is the cruel thing, dreams are vanquished. Teens+ life is all about expanding -- experiments,, experiences, travels, friends and networks, building business and wealth. But 40-50+ life is shrinking, shedding. It corresponds to mental status. A 40-50+ person needs to find a way to be productive and connected to society and the community, to feel called on and relied upon to pass on knowledge.

This is all that's left now for deriving purpose. Because if you instead genuinely feel disconnected, unproductive, unwanted, then mental breakdown and depression/suicide will occur. The world is an oyster for the young -- you're relevant, a key. But 40-50+ no one cares about you, no one wants you. It's so tragic.

Now imagine how much worse it could be if at 40-50+.......destitute, little savings, can't find work or no energy/desire, disconnected, unproductive, no family, parents, siblings, no spouse, kids, no friends, appearance of old age set in, the opposite sex cease looking, engaging. To realize it's over, but still 20-30 years to endure.

Every human life is like a different game of football.....sometimes win, some games a big lead all the way, or a tight game, or choked away a lead and lost, or from the very outset got trounced and never stood a chance to amend the game. Life-changing moments happen randomly, good and bad, irreversible.

It's so difficult to reconcile life when it turns out so bad.

Two separate threads.

Another thread made a good point.....You know you're old when you realize you no longer can achieve your childhood dream.

The above threads both worth a read. Neither is a glib angle. Staying sexually attractive to a vital age range is so fundamental that when it starts waning it's crushing.

We always think we're invincible and have all the time in the world for everything....fulfilling our dreams, achieving our goals, correcting mistakes.

But decades sneak up on you, destroys sense of self-worth and possibility of happiness. The darkness of dealing with a midlife crisis.

How reaching 40-50+ is all about somehow finding purpose in your life now that your life has ceased holding purpose that exists only for the young.....

1) Accept that you're old looking. Accept wrinkles, gray hair, turkey neck. Worse is the onset of issues like arthritis, liver, bladder, bowel, cancer, etc. So stop sinking money into anti-aging creams that are not gonna help. Stop trying to look younger, pretending to still be younger. Embrace your age/appearance, and focus instead on your health. Exercise, good posture, slim, toned, active, learn to genuinely smile and give off rosy vibes.

2) Important to have money to sustain you thru 20+ years after retirement. But money is pointless without physical health. Maybe you need to keep working. Even to just exist and have a semblance of life.

3) Remember making friends is not organic anymore like it was teens-20s. Heart-breaking for older people trying to make friends, thinking it's just a matter of being out and about randomly interacting with people. Doesn't work that way anymore. 40-50+ realize you're unwanted. To make friends you have to join groups, particular social activities, book clubs, cooking classes, computer course, weekend wine tasting, etc.

4) Finding a new purpose in your life 40-50+ is different to what purpose seemed like at teens, at 20s, at 30s. Life has now passed you by is the cruel thing, dreams are vanquished. Teens+ life is all about expanding -- experiments,, experiences, travels, friends and networks, building business and wealth. But 40-50+ life is shrinking, shedding. It corresponds to mental status. A 40-50+ person needs to find a way to be productive and connected to society and the community, to feel called on and relied upon to pass on knowledge.

This is all that's left now for deriving purpose. Because if you instead genuinely feel disconnected, unproductive, unwanted, then mental breakdown and depression/suicide will occur. The world is an oyster for the young -- you're relevant, a key. But 40-50+ no one cares about you, no one wants you. It's so tragic.

Now imagine how much worse it could be if at 40-50+.......destitute, little savings, can't find work or no energy/desire, disconnected, unproductive, no family, parents, siblings, no spouse, kids, no friends, appearance of old age set in, the opposite sex cease looking, engaging. To realize it's over, but still 20-30 years to endure.

Every human life is like a different game of football.....sometimes win, some games a big lead all the way, or a tight game, or choked away a lead and lost, or from the very outset got trounced and never stood a chance to amend the game. Life-changing moments happen randomly, good and bad, irreversible.

Thanks for the good start to my day my man.
Yours in my 48 years...
bagcroft.

Where do I start:
-Multiple additional health and fertility setbacks
-Work being the opposite of understanding. Not approving shift swaps from understanding colleagues to help me cover my sick leave let alone covering it in the first place as they’re supposed to do.

A real estate agent in Queensland has come under fire after it emailed tenants offering them the chance to buy a Christmas gift for their landlords.

The real estate agency, Kanik & Co, located near Brisbane, sent out an email to tenants offering to facilitate the purchasing of select gifts, along with any “handwritten notes”, that would be delivered to the owner of the property.

Some of the offered gifts include a $50 “white wine grazing box”, a $55 “festive sweets basket”, a $70 “self care hamper”, a $99 “foodies hamper” and a $115 gift called “all things golden”.

“This year has been particularly challenging for both our tenants and property owners alike, and we understand some tenants would like to thank their property owner for everything in 2021,” the agency wrote in the email.

“This agency is in Logan, where the average weekly rent has increased by 30 per cent in the last 5 years and the vacancy rate is 1 per cent,”

Landlords have seen their passive incomes increase at your expense this year. The time has come to lick their boots harder. pic.twitter.com/mhZuB1QJUj
— Sinéad Canning (@Sinead_Canning) December 12, 2021

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd put that in the things that make me cringe thread.

I rented out a house during COVID and if the property manager told the tenants to get me a present I would tell the property manager to get stuffed. Or tell the tenants to tell the property manager to get stuffed.
Or alternatively do the "self care" hamper option but fill it with items of your own choice. ;)

Looked out of the kitchen window and see a freeway of ants along the scaffold heading towards a half eaten green bean
Green bean is a frog leg

Explains the bang I heard into the side of the house and all the shit on my new paint job

At least the owl was happy

Last edited:
Two separate threads.

Sorry but I don't agree with that at all. At 53 I'm probably the happiest I've ever been.

Sorry but I don't agree with that at all. At 53 I'm probably the happiest I've ever been.
At the most basic level, the mere passing of time is incredibly depressing -- for me anyway.....getting old(er), seeing great changes in yourself (wrinkles, gray hair, chronic pains, etc), seeing great changes in the world around you, the deaths of hundreds of celebs and sports stars that were common to your childhood, the closing down of places you used to frequent or homes you used to visit, sections of cities bulldozed and gentrified, looking back and remembering all the partners you had, wondering what happened to them, how things might have been, even just memory itself -- looking back realizing how much there is that is past, reduced to mere memory, and, the ever expanding amount of memories you now have.....etc.

Once you were 12 or so, the world at your feet, full of dreams, self-worth, self-esteem, and now you are 30 or 40 or 50 or 60, washed up, dreams unfulfilled, a beaten and broken man, no one desires you anymore, maybe can't get it up anymore, maybe many other things like wife left you, kids dont see you anymore, tons of friends come and gone, no one left to call even one, etc.

What good is life, really?

Obviously, its a process that we all must deal with ..... theres a beginning, and then theres a growing stage -- where you expand your friends, partners, life experiences, travel, meeting/effing bunches of new people, expanding your finances, friends, owning a home, renovating/expanding as your own family grows, etc -- and then theres a waning stage, where your life winds down, people die, people leave, kids leave, end up alone, no more life experiences, no more adventure, etc -- and then theres the end, where you die.

Its just when youre in the growing stage, you think you have 100 million years, think youre invincible, etc, and thats also the period when so many innocent mistakes can be or are made that can forever adversely affect your life and your waning stage without ever knowing it could affect it so much. One simple fleeting mistake is all it can take. Or even worse, a young person who dies or gets murdered etc and never gets a chance. Or some teen who makes a stupid mistake, gets legs amputated, disfigured horribly from a failed suicide attempt or a car accident someone elses fault, etc

I think if you look after yourself physically and financially, things get better as you get older. I’m much happier in my 30s than I was in my 20s, and I’m looking forward to my 40s.

That said my wife reckons I’ve been 50 since I was 20, so maybe I am just growing into my personality

Another aspect, so many examples i can give....

Watching kids run around having fun wishing you were one of them, don't have to go to work or whatever. Watching 20-30 yos getting out and about and realizing youre not even one of them anymore. Maybe you tried to connect, a chat, and got put in place or given a look. Especially hard when youve always had that attitude "youre only as old as you feel", always had a young persons outlook, a disconnect between mind and body that suddenly cant fly anymore, "oh, I'm one of those people now" -- the old(er) who are ignored and hurried by and away from. You have nothing left to offer, neither words or presence. Go play lawn bowls. Go rot in a retirement home.

I wouldn't say I'm happy, probably just content and letting go and/or not worrying about crap that's out of my control.

I reckon I was most happiest at 29. Just probably the happiest year I spent with my bf in our LTR, good year at work, Geelong won the flag, went on a great holiday with bf at the end of that year, was just the best. 30s were alright, but just lonelier after we broke up in 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back