The Greatest Finals Player Ever

Remove this Banner Ad

See, that’s the problem, in a nutshell, with your view of past players.
You watch a 5 minute YouTube clip and think that’s all you need.

You are a Geelong supporter who thinks GAS is the GOAT and you never saw him play. The irony is astounding.

Lots of people think players are GOATs and they played before they were born. Including Leigh Matthews. It’s a simple yet troubling concept for you to grasp for some reason.

You are a Geelong supporter who thinks GAS is the GOAT and you never saw him play. The irony is astounding.

Lots of people think players are GOATs and they played before they were born. Including Leigh Matthews. It’s a simple yet troubling concept for you to grasp for some reason.

I saw almost all of Ablett senior’s career live. From about his 5th game at Geelong till his last.

Try again.

I saw almost all of Ablett senior’s career live. From about his 5th game at Geelong till his last.

Try again.

How much of Lethals did you see?

And just so we are clear anybody born in 1986 (the year after he retired) can never comment on how well he played right because they didn’t see him?

With your logic you can’t have a debate as the players will just go into the abyss once everybody who saw them live die off.

Poor Gordon Conventry, we’ll never know how good he was as nobody saw him live.

I think we know the answer to that given how he has performed in other finals outside his and his team's prime...

So people rate Dusty as the best finals player BECAUSE OF THE 3 NS’s.

Awards matter, the end Fadge. Nobody cares about 2nd place or “how good the opposition was”. It’s purely the medals. Hence his ultra impressive resume as per the article…

Last edited:

Awards matter, the end Fadge. Nobody cares about 2nd place or “how good the opposition was”. It’s purely the medals. Hence his ultra impressive reason as per the article…

OK Falcon.

How much of Lethals did you see?

And just so we are clear anybody born in 1986 (the year after he retired) can never comment on how well he played right because they didn’t see him?

With your logic you can’t have a debate as the players will just go into the abyss once everybody who saw them live die off.

Poor Gordon Conventry, we’ll never know how good he was as nobody saw him live.

I may have seen lethal play once or twice live.

Personally, I think comparing players you’ve never seen is pointless activity.

I’m happy to say GA senior is the best player I have seen. I don’t know if he’s objectively better than lethal because I didn’t see lethal at the height of his career, but he’s the best I’ve seen in my time watching football.

You, on the other hand simply use short YouTube clips and aflstats tables to draw your conclusions.
It’s why I don’t take your opinions seriously.

Hawks had plenty of big-game players who lived for finals during the golden years (as you'd expect).

Lethal, Dermie, Ayres, Dipper, and Hodgey later on.

I think Dusty's 3 Normie's gives him the mantle though.

I may have seen lethal play once or twice live.

Personally, I think comparing players you’ve never seen is pointless activity.

I’m happy to say GA senior is the best player I have seen. I don’t know if he’s objectively better than lethal because I didn’t see lethal at the height of his career, but he’s the best I’ve seen in my time watching football.

You, on the other hand simply use short YouTube clips and aflstats tables to draw your conclusions.
It’s why I don’t take your opinions seriously.

I don’t really use clips. Stats/award are my go to. Not sure why this is a problem. It’s the reason why they are made in the first place. To record things for future generations.

Like how many more articles and ex footballers do you need to here it from? I guess you take none of them seriously too?

Awards matter, the end Fadge. Nobody cares about 2nd place or “how good the opposition was”. It’s purely the medals. Hence his ultra impressive reason as per the article…

Excellent article and two rival finals skippers Davis and Selwood breaking it down and stating it pretty clearly and moreso believably.

Davis on Dusty:

• Greatest presence along with Franklin of any player he played on.
  • “That he was the best player in three separate grand finals is just the most bonkers fact of all time." “I don’t think we’ll ever see that again.”
  • “He’s peerless in finals,”
  • “In finals footy, there’s never been anyone like him.”

Selwood on Dusty:

• “As the legend grew, and in the five or so years he produced that no one can compare to, we had plans A, B and C for him,”
  • “We watched the goals back. He didn’t get much room on any occasion. As the best champions do, he made it count."
  • “He had maybe the biggest influence on a game that I ever was a part of.”(2020 Grand Final)
  • “His resumé is as good as any. It’s impressive.”

These are not throwaway lines of people trying to engage in hyperbole to bring attention to themselves. They are credible insights from highly rated football leaders whose job it was to try to counter Dusty.

You only have to read those assessments to know Dusty is at the top table in footy history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent article and two rival finals skippers Davis and Selwood breaking it down and stating it pretty clearly and moreso believably.

Davis on Dusty:

• “That he was the best player in three separate grand finals is just the most bonkers fact of all time." “I don’t think we’ll ever see that again.”

Selwood on Dusty:

• “As the legend grew, and in the five or so years he produced that no one can compare to, we had plans A, B and C for him,”
  • “We watched the goals back. He didn’t get much room on any occasion. As the best champions do, he made it count."
  • “He had maybe the biggest influence on a game that I ever was a part of.”(2020 Grand Final)

These are not throwaway lines of people trying to engage in hyperbole to bring attention to themselves. They are credible insights from highly rated football leaders whose job it was to try to counter Dusty.

You only have to read those assessments to know Dusty is at the top table in footy history.

But but he doesn’t have any junk B&Fs from GC against 18 year olds. 🤣

Some people don’t deserve football as they don’t appreciate what the game is about.

I don’t really use clips. Stats/award are my go to. Not sure why this is a problem. It’s the reason why they are made in the first place. To record things for future generations.

Like how many more articles and ex footballers do you need to here it from? I guess you take none of them seriously too?

Yes, you’ve explained your method. It’s a method a 6 year old would use.

Good for you.

Prob best to take your next retort to the Richmond hate Geelong thread.

Davis on Dusty:

• That he was the best player in three separate grand finals is just the most bonkers fact of all time." “I don’t think we’ll ever see that again.”

Selwood on Dusty:

I rate Dusty as high as anyone in the last 20 years, but this statement from Davis is the very definition of hyperbole.
Not all NS medals are equal. No argument Dusty was clearly the best in 2020. As for 2017 and 2019, you could make solid arguments for others in what were woeful one sided games.
He is in the top echelon of course, anyone arguing otherwise is kidding themselves.

Just a reminder that these are the "good old days." Patrick Dangerfield will retire from playing and .... I can't bear to think of what watching footy is going to be like.
Tom Hawkins lining up also it seems.

Geelong certainly a media talent feeder at the moment.

Ling, Selwood, Bartel, Selwood - Danger & Hawkins! Enough already…

I rate Dusty as high as anyone in the last 20 years, but this statement from Davis is the very definition of hyperbole.
Not all NS medals are equal. No argument Dusty was clearly the best in 2020. As for 2017 and 2019, you could make solid arguments for others in what were woeful one sided games.
He is in the top echelon of course, anyone arguing otherwise is kidding themselves.
Bachar deserved the 2017 NS, was instrumental when the game was in the balance.

I still rate Dusty as finals GOAT though.

Bachar deserved the 2017 NS, was instrumental when the game was in the balance.

I still rate Dusty as finals GOAT though.

A lot of people on this forum seem to make similar comments to these. I posted the following on the Dusty GOAT thread in response to another point someone made but it is relevant here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's have a proper look at this so we can understand where Dusty's GF performances sit compared to other players seen as being BOG in Grand Finals since 2012. There are 3 main credible methods of recognising who has played best in Grand Finals.

Norm Smith Medal votes, voted on by a selection of 5 football people, some of whom can be journalists, and ex-players/coaches, none of whom should be especially connected to any of the teams or players participating.

AFLCA(Coaches) votes. Ostensibly voted on by the head coaches of the 2 competing teams, more likely a consensus of the coaching panels of the 2 competing teams thoughts on which players would be thought to have played best under traditional voting systems, but with an influence of the inside knowledge of the coaches understanding the player's roles and how they affect their team's fortunes.

Official player ratings. An objective system that awards and deducts points for various actions each player performs according to the perceived value those actions would normally have to his team.

They are all constructed differently and produced by different people with different roles in the sport. Coaches votes have been available since 2016. Player ratings since 2012. Norm Smith Medal votes since 1979. So let's put into a table everything since 2012...

YearNorm Smith Medallist & votesNorm Smith votes of any player voted best under ALL other methodsTop Coaches VotesCoaches votes of any player voted best under ANY other methodsTop Player RatingPlayer rating and ranking of any player voted best under ALL other methodsGary Ayres Medal
2012Ryan O'Keefe(12 votes)McVeigh 1(5th BOG)
Franklin 5(=3rd BOG)
n/an/aJarrad McVeigh/Lance Franklin(21.3)O'Keefe 14.6(11th ranked)n/a
2013Brian Lake(12 votes)Johnson 0 votes (not in top 5 BOG)n/an/aMichael Johnson(22.7)Lake 17.1(3rd ranked)n/a
2014Luke Hodge(10 votes)Langford 1 vote(=4th BOG)n/an/aWill Langford(21.7)Hodge 18.4(5th ranked)n/a
2015Cyril Rioli(13 votes)Smith 1 vote(=5th BOG)n/an/aIsaac Smith(19.4)Rioli 13.2(11th BOG)n/a
2016Jason Johannisen(8 votes)Bontempelli 0 votes(not in top 4 BOG)Jason Johannisen(9 votes)Bontempelli 0 votes(not in top 7 BOG)Marcus Bontempelli(28.0)Johannisen 10.4(=20th BOG)Josh Kennedy(Sydney version)
2017Dustin Martin (13 votes)Houli 10 votes(2nd BOG)Bachar Houli(10 votes)Martin 8 votes(2nd BOG)Dustin Martin(30.9)Houli 7.5(29th BOG)Dustin Martin
2018Luke Shuey(11 votes)Luke Shuey(10 votes)Luke Shuey(35.7)Steele Sidebottom
2019Dustin Martin (15 votes)Dustin Martin(10 votes)Dustin Martin (22.8)Dustin Martin
2020Dustin Martin(15 votes)Dustin Martin(10 votes)Dustin Martin(32.1*)Dustin Martin
2021Christian Petracca(15 votes)Christian Petracca(10 votes)Christian Petracca(28.8)Jack Macrae
2022Isaac Smith(14 votes)Warner(0 votes - not in top 5 BOG)Isaac Smith(10 votes)Warner 0 votes(not in top 6 BOG)Chad Warner(29.9)Smith 25.2(2nd BOG)Patrick Dangerfield
2023Bobby Hill(15 votes)DeGoey(0 votes - not in top 6 BOG)Bobby Hill(10 votes)DeGoey 0 votes(not in top 7 BOG)Jordan DeGoey(22.3)Hill 12.9(13th BOG)Sam Walsh

Players to be BOG under all 3 methods(available since 2016 only):

Dustin Martin(twice, back to back 2019-20)
Luke Shuey 2018
Christian Petracca 2021

Note 2012-15 the player ratings and Norm Smith Medal voting never recognised the same player as BOG.

Coaches votes and Norm Smith votes have only disagreed once on who was BOG since 2016, that was 2017 when Martin and Houli were each recognised by 1 method. But by player ratings it was Martin then daylight then 27 other players, then Houli.

If we were to create a system where each method was given equal weight of 20 points for BOG, 10 for 2nd BOG, 5 for 3rd BOG under each method and alter that to 30-15-7.5 when only 2 methods were available 2012-15...and use amount of votes or player rating as a tie breaker where required, this is how the Grand Final performances would rank:

1. Luke Shuey 2018 60 points(35.7 player rating)
2. Dustin Martin 2020 60 points(32.1 player rating)
3. Christian Petracca 2021 60 points(28.8 player rating)
4. Dustin Martin 2019 60 points(22.8 player rating)

= 5. Isaac Smith 2022, Dustin Martin 2017 50 points
7. Bobby Hill 2023 40 points(max coaches/smith medal votes)
8. Jason Johannisen 2016 40 points(8 of max 15 Smith Medal votes, 9 of max 10 coaches votes)
9. Brian Lake 2013 37.5 points
10. Langford/Hodge 2014, O'Keefe 2012, Johnson 2013, Rioli/Smith 2015 30 points
16. Lance Franklin 2012 26.25 points

You could go into deeper detail but I think this is a fair enough ranking of how well recognised the different performances were under the 3 voting/scoring systems. The top 4 are basically undisputed BOG's and I have used player ratings to separate them. You could equally demote Shuey in 2018 to 4th position as he received on 11 of the 15 possible Norm Smith medal votes, where the others in the top 4 received maximum Smith Medal and Coaches votes AND were the highest rated player in the match.

There are some remarkable things about Martin's Grand Finals.

1. He was undisputed BOG under all methods back to back 2019-20, nobody else has even come close to doing that.
2. He was undisputed BOG under all methods in 2 of his 3 Grand Finals
3. He was BOG using a combination of all methods in all 3 of the 3 Grand Finals he played.
4. Each of the 3 times he was BOG in the Grand Final he accompanied this with the Gary Ayres Medal for best player in the finals series. No other Grand Final BOG has even done this once so far in the 8 year existence of the Ayres award.
5. In the least recognised of his GF performances - 2017 - he was BOG under 2 of the 3 methods with historically high votes/scores, and max vote 2nd BOG under the 3rd method, coaches votes.

We could of course go further and collate player ratings in all finals back to 2012 to impute a best in finals that way, and I am as sure as I can be that would equally show Dustin Martin streeting the field.

Dusty has either the best or second highest recognised Grand Final performance in the last 12 years, along with the 4th best and =5th best.

But he almost certainly has the undisputed 1st, 2nd and 3rd best finals series during that period. Ie his 3rd best finals series won greater recognition than any other player's BEST finals series in the last 12 years(about 180-190 players play finals each year.) That should put his finals deeds into some sort of correct perspective for people.

I mean we can question any disputed BOG. But Dusty's 2019-20 BOG's were 2 of only 4 undisputed BOG's in the last 12 Grand Finals. Of the other 8 Grand Finals that produced disputed BOG's, Dusty's 2017 was the equal least disputed. When you produce 3 of the top 6 Grand Finals performances since 2012, nobody should be questioning the legitimacy of you being adjudged BOG in any of those.

A lot of people on this forum seem to make similar comments to these. I posted the following on the Dusty GOAT thread in response to another point someone made but it is relevant here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's have a proper look at this so we can understand where Dusty's GF performances sit compared to other players seen as being BOG in Grand Finals since 2012. There are 3 main credible methods of recognising who has played best in Grand Finals.

Norm Smith Medal votes, voted on by a selection of 5 football people, some of whom can be journalists, and ex-players/coaches, none of whom should be especially connected to any of the teams or players participating.

AFLCA(Coaches) votes. Ostensibly voted on by the head coaches of the 2 competing teams, more likely a consensus of the coaching panels of the 2 competing teams thoughts on which players would be thought to have played best under traditional voting systems, but with an influence of the inside knowledge of the coaches understanding the player's roles and how they affect their team's fortunes.

Official player ratings. An objective system that awards and deducts points for various actions each player performs according to the perceived value those actions would normally have to his team.

They are all constructed differently and produced by different people with different roles in the sport. Coaches votes have been available since 2016. Player ratings since 2012. Norm Smith Medal votes since 1979. So let's put into a table everything since 2012...

YearNorm Smith Medallist & votesNorm Smith votes of any player voted best under ALL other methodsTop Coaches VotesCoaches votes of any player voted best under ANY other methodsTop Player RatingPlayer rating and ranking of any player voted best under ALL other methodsGary Ayres Medal
2012Ryan O'Keefe(12 votes)McVeigh 1(5th BOG)
Franklin 5(=3rd BOG)
n/an/aJarrad McVeigh/Lance Franklin(21.3)O'Keefe 14.6(11th ranked)n/a
2013Brian Lake(12 votes)Johnson 0 votes (not in top 5 BOG)n/an/aMichael Johnson(22.7)Lake 17.1(3rd ranked)n/a
2014Luke Hodge(10 votes)Langford 1 vote(=4th BOG)n/an/aWill Langford(21.7)Hodge 18.4(5th ranked)n/a
2015Cyril Rioli(13 votes)Smith 1 vote(=5th BOG)n/an/aIsaac Smith(19.4)Rioli 13.2(11th BOG)n/a
2016Jason Johannisen(8 votes)Bontempelli 0 votes(not in top 4 BOG)Jason Johannisen(9 votes)Bontempelli 0 votes(not in top 7 BOG)Marcus Bontempelli(28.0)Johannisen 10.4(=20th BOG)Josh Kennedy(Sydney version)
2017Dustin Martin (13 votes)Houli 10 votes(2nd BOG)Bachar Houli(10 votes)Martin 8 votes(2nd BOG)Dustin Martin(30.9)Houli 7.5(29th BOG)Dustin Martin
2018Luke Shuey(11 votes)Luke Shuey(10 votes)Luke Shuey(35.7)Steele Sidebottom
2019Dustin Martin (15 votes)Dustin Martin(10 votes)Dustin Martin (22.8)Dustin Martin
2020Dustin Martin(15 votes)Dustin Martin(10 votes)Dustin Martin(32.1*)Dustin Martin
2021Christian Petracca(15 votes)Christian Petracca(10 votes)Christian Petracca(28.8)Jack Macrae
2022Isaac Smith(14 votes)Warner(0 votes - not in top 5 BOG)Isaac Smith(10 votes)Warner 0 votes(not in top 6 BOG)Chad Warner(29.9)Smith 25.2(2nd BOG)Patrick Dangerfield
2023Bobby Hill(15 votes)DeGoey(0 votes - not in top 6 BOG)Bobby Hill(10 votes)DeGoey 0 votes(not in top 7 BOG)Jordan DeGoey(22.3)Hill 12.9(13th BOG)Sam Walsh

Players to be BOG under all 3 methods(available since 2016 only):

Dustin Martin(twice, back to back 2019-20)
Luke Shuey 2018
Christian Petracca 2021

Note 2012-15 the player ratings and Norm Smith Medal voting never recognised the same player as BOG.

Coaches votes and Norm Smith votes have only disagreed once on who was BOG since 2016, that was 2017 when Martin and Houli were each recognised by 1 method. But by player ratings it was Martin then daylight then 27 other players, then Houli.

If we were to create a system where each method was given equal weight of 20 points for BOG, 10 for 2nd BOG, 5 for 3rd BOG under each method and alter that to 30-15-7.5 when only 2 methods were available 2012-15...and use amount of votes or player rating as a tie breaker where required, this is how the Grand Final performances would rank:

1. Luke Shuey 2018 60 points(35.7 player rating)
2. Dustin Martin 2020 60 points(32.1 player rating)
3. Christian Petracca 2021 60 points(28.8 player rating)
4. Dustin Martin 2019 60 points(22.8 player rating)

= 5. Isaac Smith 2022, Dustin Martin 2017 50 points
7. Bobby Hill 2023 40 points(max coaches/smith medal votes)
8. Jason Johannisen 2016 40 points(8 of max 15 Smith Medal votes, 9 of max 10 coaches votes)
9. Brian Lake 2013 37.5 points
10. Langford/Hodge 2014, O'Keefe 2012, Johnson 2013, Rioli/Smith 2015 30 points
16. Lance Franklin 2012 26.25 points

You could go into deeper detail but I think this is a fair enough ranking of how well recognised the different performances were under the 3 voting/scoring systems. The top 4 are basically undisputed BOG's and I have used player ratings to separate them. You could equally demote Shuey in 2018 to 4th position as he received on 11 of the 15 possible Norm Smith medal votes, where the others in the top 4 received maximum Smith Medal and Coaches votes AND were the highest rated player in the match.

There are some remarkable things about Martin's Grand Finals.

1. He was undisputed BOG under all methods back to back 2019-20, nobody else has even come close to doing that.
2. He was undisputed BOG under all methods in 2 of his 3 Grand Finals
3. He was BOG using a combination of all methods in all 3 of the 3 Grand Finals he played.
4. Each of the 3 times he was BOG in the Grand Final he accompanied this with the Gary Ayres Medal for best player in the finals series. No other Grand Final BOG has even done this once so far in the 8 year existence of the Ayres award.
5. In the least recognised of his GF performances - 2017 - he was BOG under 2 of the 3 methods with historically high votes/scores, and max vote 2nd BOG under the 3rd method, coaches votes.

We could of course go further and collate player ratings in all finals back to 2012 to impute a best in finals that way, and I am as sure as I can be that would equally show Dustin Martin streeting the field.

Dusty has either the best or second highest recognised Grand Final performance in the last 12 years, along with the 4th best and =5th best.

But he almost certainly has the undisputed 1st, 2nd and 3rd best finals series during that period. Ie his 3rd best finals series won greater recognition than any other player's BEST finals series in the last 12 years(about 180-190 players play finals each year.) That should put his finals deeds into some sort of correct perspective for people.

I mean we can question any disputed BOG. But Dusty's 2019-20 BOG's were 2 of only 4 undisputed BOG's in the last 12 Grand Finals. Of the other 8 Grand Finals that produced disputed BOG's, Dusty's 2017 was the equal least disputed. When you produce 3 of the top 6 Grand Finals performances since 2012, nobody should be questioning the legitimacy of you being adjudged BOG in any of those.
That Bachar was rated 29th tells you all you need to know about their ranking system.
Especially when the people who set him his task in the game said he was BOG.

Coaches votes have been spot on and should have been on that day too.
outsiders caught up in the moment and hype gave the NS votes.

Dusty put the icing on the cake, Bachar prepared and baked it.

That Bachar was rated 29th tells you all you need to know about their ranking system.
Especially when the people who set him his task in the game said he was BOG.

Coaches votes have been spot on and should have been on that day too.
outsiders caught up in the moment and hype gave the NS votes.

Dusty put the icing on the cake, Bachar prepared and baked it.

I am not sure you are being serious. Surely not. 7 people voted including the 2 coaches. 4 voted Dusty BOG, 2 voted him max possible votes 2nd BOG, and 1 voted him 3rd BOG. And separately the ratings had him by miles BOG. Amazing how if the ratings are so flawed they selected the same BOG as the 8 coaches and 18 of the 20 Norm Smith voters over a 4 year period 2018-21. I mean out of 46 players, this ratings system you say was so wrong about Houli in 2017 just happened to select the exact same player as BOG as both coaches did the next 4 years in succession. How exactly do you explain that?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

The Greatest Finals Player Ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back